Author Topic: New Normal  (Read 4473 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: New Normal
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 02:00:19 PM »
I'm running three times a week due to being able to do it and shower over lunch. That's the main positive, the rest of the changes are mostly the same crap everyone is dealing with.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 11:01:59 AM »
I'm a little surprised no one said online grocery shopping. I guess some people might have been doing that already, but I think that's going to be a change for a lot of people in general. I know people who never did it before who say they'll keep doing it because of never realizing how convenient it is. I haven't tried it because I buy a lot of produce, and which produce I decide to buy is completely dependent on the condition of it, so I just can't even think about letting someone else do it or buying stuff I might not have otherwise bought at all. I can only be mad or disappointed at myself most times if I get something that isn't very good. A few months back I got some radishes I think may have accidentally been frozen because they were sort of smushy. It never occurred to me before to squeeze radishes, but now I do.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 01:22:04 PM »
Yeah, I don't do online grocery shopping due to wanting to pick my own produce and meat, and sometimes impulse buy new things at the store which I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Also inertia. I don't like changing habits.

I ordered socks online though, and shoes for the cub. It took three pairs before I found some that fit him. The socks got delayed for a month and a half, which was equally annoying. Once the big surge passed, it was back to the stores again because it's so much easier to get what you want the first time.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 04:44:05 PM »
Yes, I've been doing online grocery shopping and it's rare that anything I've chosen has been poorly selected so I'm happy overall. Plus it keeps me on budget.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 07:26:26 PM »
I could also be making excuses for myself because I really really like grocery shopping now.  :lol1: For years I thought I hated grocery shopping. It might be because I didn't do it often enough so it was a huge undertaking and an awful chore, or it could be because it's now literally the only time I go anywhere except for the occasional health related appointment.  :dunno: Anyway, weekly grocery day. :woohoo: Gonna squeeze me some radishes.  :zoinks:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 10:05:32 PM »
I could also be making excuses for myself because I really really like grocery shopping now.  :lol1: For years I thought I hated grocery shopping. It might be because I didn't do it often enough so it was a huge undertaking and an awful chore, or it could be because it's now literally the only time I go anywhere except for the occasional health related appointment.  :dunno: Anyway, weekly grocery day. :woohoo: Gonna squeeze me some radishes.  :zoinks:
daft gopher  :plus:

and yeah, i'm one of them people who can't call online grocery shopping the new normal for me. Coulda said that many years back, but it's no longer new for me, just normal.

I would so love to pick out my own fresh fruit and veg. Luckily the store stuff is usually good quality, but sometimes it's terrible, and when you've ordered several kilos for home freezing (i can't eat commercially frozen veg any more- they spray it with corn-derived citric acid, and my body always knows it)  that reallym really sucks. especially given that fresh produce already costs n times more than frozen produce... even before you chuck half of it in the bin.  Also , I have to avouid all the ready[repared/washed/packaged stuff (same reason) and it can sometimes be hard to tell from websites. And generally pre\prepared spinach is the only kind of spinach they sell online  (emo) (I love spinach and sorely miss it)

Ideally, i'd like to buy my fruit and veg from the local market (they sell unwashed spinach! *drool * and similar delights) but that's out of the question unless i get an apartment right next to the place.  I kept up B &M shopping for as long as I realistically could, and then a bit longer.   eventually got to the point where I just couldn't figure out why my weekly shop was takng me 3 hours when it used to take an hour , and i was utterly exhausted at the end of it (to the point that most of my groceries never got unpacked , let alone cooked, cos  I'd be spending the  next 3 days just sleeping off the strain of getting it).

So my friend, David, followed me around the store one week and watched from an inconspicuous distance.  We found out that by the time I'd coverered a couple of aisles, I'd be getting absence seizures all over the place, and wandering around in circles, unwittingly barging into other shoppers with my trolley  :zombiefuck:   Heck, I'm lucky the store didn;t ban me!  Then (as we alreafy knew) I'd often fall over on the way to the car park, especially when David "helpfully" grabbed my shopping and marched ahead with it. That was the only thing holding me up  :laugh: and he knew it , but he just couldn't find his helpfulness  "off switch".

So, shopping not only brecame a ghastly ordeal for me , but -worse- I  was incoherent, rubbish company and a pain in the arse.  So I finally decided to never go anywhere with any of my friends anynore , not if i could help it, not unless i could realistically arrange it so i didn't need to walk any further than the length of one very short street.  I'm usually decent company -for a weirdo- if that condition is met- and i much prefer to keep it that way. Friendship is all about company, after all, and not about getting your groceries

But in practice,  that means I almost never go anywhere at all anymore, shops included, not since David died (2-3 years ago)  You know how it is? almost nobody stays in the same town forever, so David was my very last  close,  local RL friend, as it happened ,  and the only one who drove. I don't drive,  I'd be fecking dangerous, as you can probably tell from the above  :laugh:  Heck,  I wouldn't even drive an electric wheelchair, if offered one, cos i'm not that irresponsible.

The upside is that Covid-19 has made bugger all difference to my lifestyle :green: except it's expanded my social life enormously, what with everything moving online :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:03:01 AM by Walkie »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 12:09:41 AM »
I buy almost everything online these days, except for groceries.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 01:54:14 AM »
I started buying wine and beer by the crate during lockdown but stopped when the postman looked like he was judging me.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 10:50:02 AM »
I started buying wine and beer by the crate during lockdown but stopped when the postman looked like he was judging me.

They maybe were just irritated by the heavy packages.  :lol1:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 12:18:37 PM »
All you have to do is look offended and say "drinking is the new normal".
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 05:48:10 PM »
One thing I hope people keep up with after its all done is the six foot rule,  I like my personal space bubble always have.  In the past I have worked with a lot of people always wanted to get right up on you to talk,  I used to tell them if I can smack you in the head your too fucking close
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2020, 08:37:49 PM »
One thing I hope people keep up with after its all done is the six foot rule.

I agree. I also wish people were more mindful of the one way aisles in stores. The grocery section of the walmart here is maddening. Though to be fair, they have two aisles right next to each other going the same direction, so people possibly start out doing the right thing and then get screwed up if they're not paying attention. Still, I give them the look.  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 06:52:16 AM »
 :lol1: Yeah, that's the one. I especially do it when they pass me right by the arrow on the floor, because i can look down at the arrow and then look back up at them again.  :zoinks:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2020, 07:27:46 AM »

They maybe were just irritated by the heavy packages.  :lol1:

I think it was the 8 litre box of Lilley's Mango Cider that was the tipping point.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?