Educational

Author Topic: 2018 in a nutsack.  (Read 9803 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: 2018 in a nutsack.
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2019, 01:48:46 AM »

Oh and another quick reply to MoSW

Walkie, the whole point of I^2 is to have the absolute minimum of rules. You are supposed to be able to troll, bully, badger, and so on.

When you or I are subjected to a sustained torrent of bullying or misrepresentation or batshit crazy conspiracy shit, we can walk away. There are nicer communities out there. At some point it's going to get too much for Odeon and he will simply shut the place down and walk away. Yes, I know he shouldn't use the moderator buttons when the vitriol constantly directed at him goes beyond the pale. But really, there's no end to it otherwise.

The problem with some of the disordered personalities on here is that they want to wail at the injustice that they are being subjected to. So they dig and dig and dig until they finally get the "unfair" reaction that they want. Then it's drama llama time again.
Um, yeah, I've heard that "You are supposed to be able to troll, bully, badger, and so on" before, but  some of us have a very  different spin on it than others. Specifically , a  pretty big proportion of us see  it more in terms of "You can act like a spazz here without getting banned"  which is rather different from saying the whole point  of the place is to spazz out as aggressive;y as possible, isn't it?

To put it another way., quite a number of us had been looking for a place that didn't ban spazzes just for failing to grasp or respect the social rules because, seriously, that pretty much negates the whole point  of having a Spazz forum doesn't it? ? I coul;d go on and on about why free speech for spazzes is a must. and I'm sure I have done just that at at times.  Just giving you a taster here. So when I asked:  do we not belong here? well,  that was intended as a rhetotical question.

But now you come alomg and say "well if you don't like the playground culture, you can always go to WP" (or words to that effect) which is pretty damned dismissive of the needs of those those of us who are spazzes no less than  the Rottweilers here, and who also value  free speech pretty damned intensely.  For some such members , this forum pretty much represents  entire social life , their only circle of intimate friends. Looks like you haven't been around for long enough to grasp that, nor to notice the somewhat complex overlap and interchange betwen what I'l call (for bevity's sake) tthe  "support group culture" and the "playground culture". We;re not talking about two entirely distinct groups of people. And to enforce some sort of segregation along those lines would be highly detrimental, i believe .

I^2 actually works much better than most people think at first glance. It's main probl;em . IMO, is that not only do Rottweilers look like the own forum, purely on account of having the loudest voices, they seem to think they have  some sort of god-given entitlement in that regard . It ought to be possible to work things out better than we have. except nobody's really trying anymore. or not very often, anyway.

Who decides what the place is "supposed to be about "anyway?  The members? well, then we need only ask ourselves.  (Have a discussion. Make a poll)  Or just the founding members (Mc J and Wolfie) ? both of whom  have moved on in their different fashions. But , if I casst my mind back,  I know very  well that both those people had a much more far-reasching and creative vision for this place than the long-drawn out shouting matcjh it' turned into . But some people just cherry-pick McJ's bits of fighting talk, and ignore all the rest.  Heck, maybe even Mc j was ignoring all the rest by the time he quit, but it doesn't follow that ....

oh fuck.  My brain's  getting horribly tired . Really shouldn't have started this...

But serously, where exactly did you get that info from, regarding what this place is "supposed to be about"? Who told you?

And /...hang on...what makes you think i need to have it carefully explained to me why this place gets on Odeon's tits so much? :S Did you misadress your post? not thart i mind you rephrasing my own arguments but I'm getting a bit of cognitive dissonamce here .   :LOL:

And who told you "there are nicer communities out there"   :LOL: once you've scaped away the surface , most of em are worse than this place, just not being so honest about it.  That's precisely what makes me think they're no fit  places for a spazz.  It's just the NT-inspired polite exterior makes you think that those places are nice.

Not to say there;'s no genuinel;y nice place. I hope there is, but how to find one in practice? Would sooner stick with this one, and just try to makle it work a bit better, if its all the same to you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:52:00 AM by Walkie »

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2019, 03:28:26 AM »

Oh and another quick reply to MoSW

Walkie, the whole point of I^2 is to have the absolute minimum of rules. You are supposed to be able to troll, bully, badger, and so on.

When you or I are subjected to a sustained torrent of bullying or misrepresentation or batshit crazy conspiracy shit, we can walk away. There are nicer communities out there. At some point it's going to get too much for Odeon and he will simply shut the place down and walk away. Yes, I know he shouldn't use the moderator buttons when the vitriol constantly directed at him goes beyond the pale. But really, there's no end to it otherwise.

The problem with some of the disordered personalities on here is that they want to wail at the injustice that they are being subjected to. So they dig and dig and dig until they finally get the "unfair" reaction that they want. Then it's drama llama time again.
Um, yeah, I've heard that "You are supposed to be able to troll, bully, badger, and so on" before, but  some of us have a very  different spin on it than others. Specifically , a  pretty big proportion of us see  it more in terms of "You can act like a spazz here without getting banned"  which is rather different from saying the whole point  of the place is to spazz out as aggressive;y as possible, isn't it?

To put it another way., quite a number of us had been looking for a place that didn't ban spazzes just for failing to grasp or respect the social rules because, seriously, that pretty much negates the whole point  of having a Spazz forum doesn't it? ? I coul;d go on and on about why free speech for spazzes is a must. and I'm sure I have done just that at at times.  Just giving you a taster here. So when I asked:  do we not belong here? well,  that was intended as a rhetotical question.

But now you come alomg and say "well if you don't like the playground culture, you can always go to WP" (or words to that effect) which is pretty damned dismissive of the needs of those those of us who are spazzes no less than  the Rottweilers here, and who also value  free speech pretty damned intensely.  For some such members , this forum pretty much represents  entire social life , their only circle of intimate friends. Looks like you haven't been around for long enough to grasp that, nor to notice the somewhat complex overlap and interchange betwen what I'l call (for bevity's sake) tthe  "support group culture" and the "playground culture". We;re not talking about two entirely distinct groups of people. And to enforce some sort of segregation along those lines would be highly detrimental, i believe .

I^2 actually works much better than most people think at first glance. It's main probl;em . IMO, is that not only do Rottweilers look like the own forum, purely on account of having the loudest voices, they seem to think they have  some sort of god-given entitlement in that regard . It ought to be possible to work things out better than we have. except nobody's really trying anymore. or not very often, anyway.

Who decides what the place is "supposed to be about "anyway?  The members? well, then we need only ask ourselves.  (Have a discussion. Make a poll)  Or just the founding members (Mc J and Wolfie) ? both of whom  have moved on in their different fashions. But , if I casst my mind back,  I know very  well that both those people had a much more far-reasching and creative vision for this place than the long-drawn out shouting matcjh it' turned into . But some people just cherry-pick McJ's bits of fighting talk, and ignore all the rest.  Heck, maybe even Mc j was ignoring all the rest by the time he quit, but it doesn't follow that ....

oh fuck.  My brain's  getting horribly tired . Really shouldn't have started this...

But serously, where exactly did you get that info from, regarding what this place is "supposed to be about"? Who told you?

And /...hang on...what makes you think i need to have it carefully explained to me why this place gets on Odeon's tits so much? :S Did you misadress your post? not thart i mind you rephrasing my own arguments but I'm getting a bit of cognitive dissonamce here .   :LOL:

And who told you "there are nicer communities out there"   :LOL: once you've scaped away the surface , most of em are worse than this place, just not being so honest about it.  That's precisely what makes me think they're no fit  places for a spazz.  It's just the NT-inspired polite exterior makes you think that those places are nice.

Not to say there;'s no genuinel;y nice place. I hope there is, but how to find one in practice? Would sooner stick with this one, and just try to makle it work a bit better, if its all the same to you.

Interesting claim. Who are the "rottweillers" who seem to think they own the forum. Certainly, I do not think I have ever presumed or suggested or inferred I own the forum. The other non-owners and "loud voices" I imagine could be Scrap or perhaps Cal. Cal is from what I can see happy to marinate in a dispassionate disinterest. That leaves Scrap. Scrap has certainly nostalgically opined how the McJ kind of idea about this forum being for the members and by the members was good as an idea. This read to me as a "It would be great if world peace reigned supreme and everyone just loved each other kind of wishful thinking rather than a serious consideration that the forum, was owned by the members and much less just by him.

Py did bring up that Odeon of course retained the rights of an owner by virtue of him paying the server BUT that as he did not accept payments and would not accept payments for the forum, having the "I pay for teh server so I will do what I want" kind of attitude was pretty pissy.

Actually her opinion on forum ownership came as close to disputing Odeon's ownership claim as anyone here. Did you mean SHE was the rottweiller in question?

Its a rhetorical question. Of course you did not. So the big two questions are who DID you mean and under what possible reason do you say they SEEM to think they are the owners?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2019, 03:51:45 AM »
Its not that I keep in contact with zegh, I can't say as I KNOW him, he just happens to be a member of a fallout fan forum that I've been on.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2019, 04:20:29 AM »
Hmm , thought I'd have a quick check on I^2 before going to bed.  Very silly of me.  :LOL:  i don't even have time to take all this in, but I'll just throw in a quick response to Al:

Thanks (-ish) for the reassuring info re, Zegh. Last time i enquired (probably something  2 years ago, mind) , that info , for whatever  reason, was not forthcoming, and it must have come up during one of my breaks, i suppose.   Ofc,  Scrap's and your  well -known sentiments dominate my memory ( you just gave a handy example "I don't give a shit about him. He is a loser and can dish it but not take it" That's exact;y the kind of thing I meant ) and only person I could recall caring was Odeon, which was pretty frustrating to me , because my point there was not about odeon, was it?I would rather have left his name out of it,  at that juncture, but then fairness and honesty pushed into adding that caveat in brackets *sigh * . I also meant  to keep your name out of it, because I was criticising the culture not any particular individual , and didn't want anyone taking it personally, if i could possibly avoid that.  (small chance, i know)

I'm pretty sure that I never said , nor even  thought   that you, Scrap or anyone positively wanted Zegh dead. That musta been somebody or something  else. I just got the impression he's beneath contempt in you guys eyes , and therefore deserving of whatever (which equates to a rough paraphrase of what you just said, does it not?  ..unless i somehow misunderstood it?)

But feel free to impose your own narrative over that, and to assume that every little inaccuracy found in my accounts must be down to deliberate lying.  Just don;'t insist on me answering for said lies every time. Beecause I don't have the energy to try to disabuse you every time , and you surely don't have the right to demand that.

Needless to say,  I woulda received that info a whole lot more gratefully and gracefully , if not for the subsequent spiel. But I am glad to hear it, nonetheless :)

I will absolutely impose my narrative over this.

My Father is still alive. I have not seen him for 21 years. He was someone I viewed as something to fear when I was younger and someone to compete against as an adolescent. As a young adult he was someone to protect my family against. I hope that gives you an idea of where I am coming from with him.

I do not want that man in my life BUT I would not care if his life is good. I do not care he remarried in the last 10 years or so since my mother's death. More power to him. I simply do not care for him and would not seek him out. Were he somehow irrevocably in my life I am sure I would grin and bear up best I could and weather it and probably not hit him like I did the last two occasions I saw him but I am happier with him not being a part of it.

I feel similarly about Zegh. The connection was not THAT extreme a relationship but the kind of not wishing him ill but not wishing him well. Just neutral. He is out of sight and out of mind. I don't hate him and I do not care for him. That in no way says he is "deserving of whatever". I am not even sure what that means. If he is kidnapped and tortured in a way that only Lestat could imagine, would he deserve that because he was a cowardly arrogant little shit talker that can dish it out but not take it? No. What about him getting a nasty debilitating illness or disease? Would that be karmaic balance? No. What the hell do YOU mean?

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2019, 04:49:00 AM »

I think this is spot on.

I've thought about walking away many times. The constant (yes, that's how it feels to me) bullshit directed at me gets to be too much every now and then. Of course, I could simply take a leave of absence, stay away for a couple of weeks or months, but that always begs the question: why should I keep the damned thing online in the first place?

I haven't answered that question yet. Right now, I2 stays online because old habits die hard, especially when you're a spazz.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2019, 05:37:45 AM »

I think this is spot on.

I've thought about walking away many times. The constant (yes, that's how it feels to me) bullshit directed at me gets to be too much every now and then. Of course, I could simply take a leave of absence, stay away for a couple of weeks or months, but that always begs the question: why should I keep the damned thing online in the first place?

I haven't answered that question yet. Right now, I2 stays online because old habits die hard, especially when you're a spazz.

I think that this kind of makes some inferences and which may or may not have some merit and then connects them badly.

Should Odeon be able to walk away. Of course.
Should  "I^2 is to have the absolute minimum of rules. You are supposed to be able to troll, bully, badger, and so on." Yes
Odeon "shouldn't use the moderator buttons when the vitriol constantly directed at him goes beyond the pale". Correct
"The problem with some of the disordered personalities on here is that they want to wail at the injustice that they are being subjected to"? Incorrect. They react to treatment from and generally spew at Odeon their perception of all his faults and misgivings, rather relentlessly. They are also quite quick to leap onto any disagreement of him and his points of views on any posting on the forum.
"So they dig and dig and dig until they finally get the "unfair" reaction that they want" Again not so much digging. The treatment is no more unfair than what he has foisted on them.

This leads to a number of different connections:

Is this pretty relentless? Yes
Is it deserved? Yes
Does this mean the people that are doing this are disordered? No.
Could there actions cause Odeon to eventually close? Maybe, up to Odeon what he chooses to do.
Has Odeon bought this on himself by his past conduct? Sure. He contributed to the way he is now perceived and the respect and benefit of the doubt he now gets.
Was this necessary? No idea. However it is a natural flow of his actions and the consequences of a series of very bad choices. Hardly unexpected or undeserved

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2019, 06:16:53 AM »

Custom titles, weren't they/aren't they at a user's request? mine was.

Yes. You have to beg an admin to change it.

For no apparent reason. And sometimes, they get set for you.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2019, 06:21:31 AM »

THIS is a decent question. Maybe you're not the right person to do so.

And no - I'm not either. I don't care enough.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2019, 06:30:30 AM »

For whatever reason, that's how the board was once set up. Default settings, maybe. And then, nobody ever bothered to change that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2019, 06:33:25 AM »

Sorry, do what? Answer the question? Keep the board online?

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2019, 06:37:14 AM »
Oh, and Al: I thought about replying to your post and then decided it's not worth my time because I don't actually care about what you think. You've been on repeat the last several years and it gets old after the first few dozen times.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2019, 05:20:47 PM »
Oh, and Al: I thought about replying to your post and then decided it's not worth my time because I don't actually care about what you think. You've been on repeat the last several years and it gets old after the first few dozen times.

Yes i am consistent. Easy to keep facts straight and a consistent narrative when you are honest and tell the truth.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2019, 05:22:29 PM »

Yes i am consistent. Easy to keep facts straight and a consistent narrative when you are honest and tell the truth.

Consistency is boring! Liven it up a little! :P
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »

For whatever reason, that's how the board was once set up. Default settings, maybe. And then, nobody ever bothered to change that.

Not "for some reason." Requests were made to change this previously.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »

Sorry, do what? Answer the question? Keep the board online?

Keep it online.