Educational

Author Topic: What kind of drink are you?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What kind of drink are you?
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »

i am an empty glass

there is no me

i will be what ever you want me to be

:orly:  Actually, you seem to have a very well-defined personality and sense of self.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
You Are Beer!

You don't need to get totally wasted when you hit the bars.
More of a social drinker, you just like to have fun with your friends.
And as long as the beer keeps flowing, you're a happy camper.
But don't mix things up: "Beer Before Liquor, Never Been Sicker!"

What Alcoholic Drink Are You?

Blogthings: Our Quizzes Weren't Written By Bored 12 Year Olds   

I don't even like beer :-\   

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »
I don’t like drinking and none of the answers pertain to me. I’m a caffiend. I enjoy the coffee buzz and occasional high.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »

I have not had any alcohol in many years. Not one hundred percent true, since I still add an occasional teaspoon or so to a toddy when I am sick or like last week I added a teaspoon of fairly expensive, extremely aromatic brandy to top off my steamed eggnog.
Not quite the same as "drinking" as I defined so well in the past.
My point is that I no longer imbibe to the point that I even drink a regular beer  (I still like beer, but I drink non alcoholic beer - my favorite is St. Pauli Girl, but O'Doul's Dark is a pretty good substitute.), let alone ten or twelve shots of tequila on the way out the door of a club as I used to do.

My post was meant (way back when ever it was) to reflect this.

I got most of my drinking in many years ago.

I agree with you, though. I looked back at that game thing and I could not find many responses that ever would have applied to me.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2018, 10:28:56 PM »
I got Sex on the Beach. Like that's ever going to happen!

Alcoholism runs in my family so I've always thought to stay away from it. A cider every now and then is ok though.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »
You Are Beer!

Did you used to have a different name or avatar?

Alcoholism runs in my family so I've always thought to stay away from it. A cider every now and then is ok though.

What made you start this post 10 years after it stopped?  Did you know I was returning?
Feeling neutral is very normal.

Offline driftingblizzard

• Nuclear Prince of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I have Aspergers, what's your excuse?
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2018, 08:10:34 PM »
You Are Beer!

What made you start this post 10 years after it stopped?  Did you know I was returning?

Worry, actually 8 years....
Feeling neutral is very normal.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2018, 06:12:47 AM »
Sex On The Beach

I still remember the night I had 20 of those at the Shangri La Hotel. I ended up lying in the bathtub singing "Feel" by Robby William.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »
You Are Tequila

When you drink, you're serious about getting drunk!
You'll take any shot that's offered up to you...
Even if it tastes like sock sweat!
And you're never afraid of eating the worm.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »
I'm not sure as it applies to me either.

Not really much of a drinker. The antiseizure med I'm on, chlormethiazole, interacts BADLY with alcohol, I can have a few drinks, but I have to be careful if I've taken it, and if I drink before it has worn off, it inhibits alcohol dehydrogenase, and causes a huge rise in blood levels of alcohol. I've read of hardened alcoholics on in patient detox using it, who've snuck in a few mini shot bottles, and ended up out cold on the floor after two shots. I don't react so much at the dose I'm on, but I still limit my drinking.

If I haven't taken it, or if I choose to drink more than a couple after the effective duration of the chlormethiazole, then for pleasure, it'd be a good beer or ale, or a margarita, sometimes a G&T. If it's just a case of deciding to get shitfaced drunk because I've a few hours to kill and need a short-duration knockout, then absinthe, dark navy rum, or if I'm just going to be practical, then undenatured (obviously) ethanol diluted down to about 80%. I get the latter imported from russia for about $20 a liter, azeotropic strength (95% EtOH/5%EtOH), oddly, it burns less when diluted to a drinkable concentration, as it is, it can't be drunk straight, or it'll burn, not just sting, but actually burn mucus membranes, but at 70-80% then it takes just a couple of inches height in a teacup to knock one out within just about enough time to enjoy a smoke before you drop.

Although a favourite, is a cocktail I invented myself, I call it a 'manhattan project', a bit of a sly joke on my part conflating the manhattan cocktail and the US nuclear weapons project. Kind of hard to find the key ingredient now though, it needs a specific brand of codeine cough mixture found in the UK, 'care+', although now its even more of a pain since it used to include chloroform as a preservative, and it no longer does, so a drop or two of CHCl3 needs to be added to get the flavour right, although that can easily be made via the haloform reaction on acetone using hypochlorite bleach.

Basically it's a tall glass, filled partly with the codeine syrup, after stirring in 2-3 drops of chloroform, then tesco own brand lime soda is poured in really carefully, with a few slugs of a good quality vodka mixed in, poured in so the soda/vodka forms a layer over the top of the thick sugary syrup on the bottom, then using a pair of slices of lime, and a slice of lemon, to trap a shot glass so the contents stay separate from the rest of the mixture, a little vodka is used to help dissolution of a shot of diethyl ether, plus the remaining juice from the rest of the lime and lemon, sugar added (brown sugar ideally) and a pinch of finely grated lime zest floated on top.

Sort of a variation on the theme of a jagerbomb. The ether goes down first, then the rest, and finally the codeine syrup on the bottom coats the throat and kills off any burn from the alcohol content. The ether gives it an almighty kick, although quite different from alcohol, despite it's being essentially two molecules of ethanol condensed together with loss of H2O, where alcohol is more sedative with a hint of dissociative action, ether has it the other way round. No hangover from it either, as it doesn't get metabolized to acetaldehyde as ethanol does.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 01:03:49 AM »
You Are Beer!

Yep, 8 years. Bastet was the first to post here this year and then DirtDawg posted after her. Sometimes it's interesting to see what was posted in old threads.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 03:17:09 AM »
I have to say, its good to see Bastet back. It ain't the same without DFG around (in a bad way, the place was lesser for her fire being absent)

Was worried about her for too long.

As for another favourite of mine, a mojito is tough to beat IMO. Although with a bit of freshly grown lemon balm (Melissa officianalis), bruised to allow the scented terpenes to be better extracted, its  even nicer. And to one up that, freeze the same into a sorbet.

They even did a commercial frozen mojito sorbet in Aldi last time I was in there. Reminds me, I should go there again soon to see if they still have it, because those were SO damn tasty. Came in single serving foil pouches, just freeze, slash open and squeeze out into a bowl. And  generous size portions  too, not the sort of crap you see with ice cream etc. in restaurants, where its a few spoonfuls and gone. Enough to fill a bowl, and with 3-4 of them, a stomach too.

Lets see...quite like campari, just as is, on the rocks.

And not exactly a cocktail, but I quite like bitter shandy, although not if it's  made with that sickly sweet vile shite known as sprite, or 7-up. Ew. R.Whites is the ideal one for it IMO, not actually HAD one in ages, but it used to be a staple of old family camping trips, or more likely as not, going camping or hiking in the middle of buttfuck nowhere with the ol' man, it might as well have been classed as a food group, ideally served with plenty sweet patries.

Just the sort of thing a kid that's bloody well exhausted from a day-long hike through dense woodland or else up steep animal grazing pasture in search of wild mushrooms grows to really appreciate, in the middle of a summer (odd season to go mushroom picking I know, but there are species out there to be had if you know where to look and what to look for). Probably appreciate it now as much for the memories as for the refreshment, technically, probably wasn't legal to serve me, at the young age of most of those trips, but I found that rural landlords generally don't give a stuff about serving something like a pint or two of half-and-half to a kid who's stopping there for a meal, with folks, since it isn't exactly pisspot fodder.

Brings back memories of some good hunts and some nice botanical finds, the ones I remember best being one particular camping trip near lake Bala in wales, big bugger of a hill/small mountain beside the lake, getting up at the crack of dawn, and making straight up there, to pick a bag of fresh oyster muhroom, alongside a load of larch boletes and slippery-jack (a pair of coniferous-associated Suillus species, which have slimy caps, that need peeling  off before cooking, but when cooked well are really quite a favorite of mine, fried in garlic butter, and served  russian style, with a squeeze of lemon; and found my first ever Hydnum specimens, quite peculiar fungi, that whilst shaped like the traditional 'toadstool' generally, the Hydnum genus has, instead of gills or pores, the underside, covered with spines, on which the basidia form, called hedgehog fungi in the  vernacular, and the one found, Hydnum repandum, is  regarded as a really good edible.

Bloody good meal was  had with those, plus a  few other finds, just taken back down to our tent, and fried up in butter with bacon, fried  eggs, fried sausage, plus tinned baked beans, everything heated up on a little portable propane  stove, little more than an upright-pointing blowtorch with a small pan stand  on top really, easily portable with squat, compact gas canisters, but for a first meal of the day, the satisfaction coming back down to a cold one and  a fry-up that I've spiced up with whatever tasty wild fungi nature has seen fit to provide that day, quite fantastic.

I swear, everything tasted better than usual, although a pre-breakfast hike up a mountain probably had something to do with it.

Another time, some really nice looking stands of hemlock (Conium,  of Socrates infamy, not the water-hemlocks or the conifer of the same name, all rusty looking in age.

And something  that really sticks in my mind, is this HUGE fucker  of a thistle, a scotch thistle, most likely, with a thick primary stem inches  thick and  towering height, tall or taller than myself at the time, with four corners formed of fleshy ribs, that bore some truly vicious dagger-like spines.

And that sticks in my mouth...and my old man's. We'd been out somewhere in the countryside, and  I'd spotted a blackthorn hedge, got him to bite into one of the sloes, tried it myself and fucking hell, the astringent effect is quite astonishingly powerful. Like sucking on a tarnished copper penny, if it were covered with superglue and  dipped in battery acid.

Although the fruit are the same as  used to make sloe gin, have been meaning to try making some for quite some time, buggering hell only knows how those things can be processed into anything fit for human consumption, let alone pleasure I do not know.

Should get myself  some long  pieces  of the wood too when I next find it growing, as I need a new  cane, and blackthorn wood is extremely hard and durable.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.