Author Topic: What'cha munchin' on?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What'cha munchin' on?
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2019, 07:49:07 AM »
I just had some Tim Tams.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
Those are so good. We can finally buy them here
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2019, 11:54:47 AM »
I still don't know why it's laughing. :dunno:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2019, 09:44:50 PM »
Me either. Maybe cows are naturally happy? Have to ask andersom. She has the inside scoop on all things bovine. She's the cow whisperer.  :hyke:

Currently eating a few squares of dark chocolate.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2019, 09:47:21 PM »
Those are so good. We can finally buy them here
Excellent! Kayleigh and I worked our way through a packet of double coated Tim Tams yesterday and last night. I think the whole world should try them. ;)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2019, 11:57:34 PM »

I made spaghetti and meatballs for evening meal.

Garlic bread was an afterthought, but it all worked out great.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2019, 12:37:07 AM »
I still don't know why it's laughing. :dunno:

I explained it. No one wants to think it through.
 :autism:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2019, 01:04:58 AM »
DD, you would probably be horrified by what passes for Tex Mex food in most of the world. I was in a supermarket yesterday and there was a big array of Mexican meal kits. These are basically a packet containing corn-based taco shells or flour tortillas or similar, along with a packet of sauce and some dry spice to add to some beef mince (I think you say chopped meat or ground beef instead of mince).

The weirdest place I've encountered a Mexican restaurant was in post-Communist Slovenia in 2001. It was one of a tiny handful of international style restaurants in the capital city. Their guacamole was awful, a watery green salsa that had never seen an avocado. Their "Mexican" beer was made in France and according to the label it contained tequila. I remember my New Yorker girlfriend at the time telling me that in Poland, where she lived previously, they called limes "capitalist lemons".

In parts of Sydney you can grow mangoes and bananas and the climate is almost subtropical. Where I live we have a weird microclimate so we get frosts in winter. That rules out a lot of tropical food crops. We also have awful soil that is basically rocks and sand, so growing stuff is difficult.

Well, you are probably right about my being appalled at some things that pass for good food over the globe.

Since you seem to know many of the differences, I appoint you as my Ambassador Of Culinary Delights to all points south of the Equator and I feel certain that you will continue to fight the good fight when it comes to specific cuisine styles.

Just a "heads up" from the resident horticulturist on board here; the way to make bad soil better is to add lots of organic matter to it, such as compost.
This, alone, will go a long way toward balancing the pH (near seven, if possible), maintaining steady moisture content, encouraging beneficial bacteria and fungi growths and help the soil become more tolerant of extremes in temperature, erosion pressures, even pest invasions.

Start small. Do a few herbs.
No need to do any soil testing to start out. You already know your soil is depleted. But like most depleted soils, it is likely to still be very fertile. It just needs a hand or two to make that fertility available to plants you CHOOSE to grow and get it back to being productive. Organic matter, balancing pH and pouring water on it all go a long way to making a garden possible.

Start small. Grow some cilantro, right now. You will have a flavor that can not be duplicated.
Plant some fresh garlic for (much) later. Yep, the garlic you buy in the stores will all grow. Just divide it into it cloves and plant away. Start them inside in small pots if you are unsure of viability of the plants.
BTW, never throw away the root part of an onion, when you are cooking. Almost every one of those little, often discarded root ends will grow a new onion.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2019, 01:08:37 AM »

I only mean to encourage you, BTW, nothing more.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2019, 01:12:59 AM »
It doesn't have to be refrigerated? Here it does. The only reason I switched to it was because it was lower in calories than cream cheese. I lost a bunch of weight recently so it was a decent substitute for me.

From the Laughing Cow website:

The Laughing Cow texture and taste is at its best when its kept refrigerated, however due to high temperatures used during the production process The Laughing Cow has a long shelf life and is safe to consume when kept out of the fridge in a cool dry place.

It is always sold refrigerated in Australia, but in other countries I've seen it on the shelf at room temperature.

I have seen a lot of Wisconsin cheeses sold right off the shelf without refrigeration. Their "mascot,"  the famous Wisconsin cheddar is always kept cold, however.

Not sure what makes the difference.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2019, 02:46:19 AM »
Encouragement is very much appreciated DD.

I don't have the patience to be a good horticulturalist. We have an enormous rosemary bush that seems to love the dry sandy soil. We also have thyme that grows really well, and some patchy mint. Our soil is probably a lot worse than you can imagine, it would need a lot of work.

There is good food all over the world, just don't expect to find great Mexican food or Asian food in Slovenia (for example). Thailand and Vietnam are awesome for food, especially when you buy it for a dollar or so from a cart on the street. Som tam, sticky rice and fried chicken was my favourite street food meal in Thailand on my last trip. Although that whole street food culture is being deliberately pushed off the streets in Thailand, which is really sad, as it's the best thing about the place.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »
I've been cooking turkey meatballs in bbq sauce in the slowcooker for the last 4 hours. Going to have that with rice, salad and roasted potatoes as soon as the potatoes are done cooking.  :thumbup:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »
Encouragement is very much appreciated DD.

I don't have the patience to be a good horticulturalist. We have an enormous rosemary bush that seems to love the dry sandy soil. We also have thyme that grows really well, and some patchy mint. Our soil is probably a lot worse than you can imagine, it would need a lot of work.

There is good food all over the world, just don't expect to find great Mexican food or Asian food in Slovenia (for example). Thailand and Vietnam are awesome for food, especially when you buy it for a dollar or so from a cart on the street. Som tam, sticky rice and fried chicken was my favourite street food meal in Thailand on my last trip. Although that whole street food culture is being deliberately pushed off the streets in Thailand, which is really sad, as it's the best thing about the place.

By growing a successful plant of rosemary, even thyme, aids you in identifying your spoil type. Those Mediterranean herbs have many cousins which grow in the same conditions.
Basically they are both "mints"  and most of the mint family can tolerate, even thrive in similar conditions. Include oregano in that family.

My soil is clay, like you would make bricks from, and yet due to the tolerant behaviors of these mints,  I can grow them all. I do much better by adding sand into raised beds, keeping the sand and clay buffered with loads of compost (must do so, since sand and clay together makes something similar to concrete without the cement which helps it to last for millennium). Keeping the beds raised protects these arid land preferring plants from being swamped during our super heavy spring rains.

Your dry conditions could be just about right, but if not, just dig a hole to preserve available water, instead of a mound of soil to shed it like I do.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:56:09 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2019, 06:52:50 AM »
I have some hot italian sausage that needs to be used up so I'm cooking it in the air fryer for breakfast
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »
My wife saw something on a food channel and made her version of it today.

Think lasagna, but lets use taco meat and enchilada stuff like tortillas, chili and salsa, instead of Italian things. It was really good.