Educational

Author Topic: What'cha munchin' on?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What'cha munchin' on?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2019, 05:56:08 AM »
We just had Chinese! It's not often that we splurge and buy food more expensive than McDonald's. We had: vegetable omelette, sweet and sour pork, special fried rice, lemon chicken and beef with egg noodles. Plus prawn crackers. Yum. We have plenty left over for lunch tomorrow.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2019, 07:33:05 PM »
Just finished a slice of cookies and cream cake. So good.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »
We had Halloween cakes at work a couple of hours ago. I had some chocolate cake and some lemon curd cheesecake.

My tummy is already regretting that I ignored my food intolerances, but it was worth it.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2019, 06:36:48 AM »
Toasted bagel with peanut butter
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »
A small amount of cereal (the end of the packet) and two bananas.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2019, 06:24:53 AM »
Toasted bagel with peanut butter. Seems to be extra yummy this morning and I don't know why.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
Might have toast with Vegemite.
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 11:30:11 PM »
It's supposedly "National Nachos Day", so I got 2-for-1 nachos for lunch.

I really don't know why I thought that was a good idea. Right now I'm looking forward to NOT eating anything else for the foreseeable future.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2019, 10:12:51 AM »

My daughter works at a famous restaurant chain and she often brings home leftover biscuits, rolls or carry out orders that were not picked up.
I just had a re-warmed biscuit with fresh seasonal apple butter on it.

I have a nice roast in the oven which I set in before I started to replace the bearings on the ceiling fan motor. Interestingly, those fan motor bearings only cost three dollars and nineteen cents apiece.
 :dunno:

That awesome roast will not be ready for another hour.
A munch was inevitable.  8)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »

I really don't know why I thought that was a good idea. Right now I'm looking forward to NOT eating anything else for the foreseeable future.

Seems as if we have a "national"  day for everything the imagine can figure a way to make more money pursuing.

I suppose the odd seeming notion that they might have a "nacho day" half a globe away from where that particular culinary curiosity was first popular should be assessed in the light of how to make money.
Hey, MOSW, have you ever heard of enchiladas? I can fix you up!!
 :viking:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »
Just had leftovers from last night for lunch. I make chicken burrito bowls in he crockpot. Tastes even better the next day.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »

Seems as if we have a "national"  day for everything the imagine can figure a way to make more money pursuing.

I suppose the odd seeming notion that they might have a "nacho day" half a globe away from where that particular culinary curiosity was first popular should be assessed in the light of how to make money.

Seems like November 6 is national nachos day all over. I still feel bloated after all those nachos yesterday.

Tex Mex is fairly popular here, but it goes in cycles. We have a local Tex Mex chain that has been going gangbusters over the past few years. I love enchiladas but if it's got wheat flour then I'm gonna regret it over the next couple of days, but not as much as my wife and kids will regret it. My mother used to love bean enchiladas.

I probably ate Tex Mex most often when I was in Jakarta and Manila, at Chili's. Chili's is like McDonalds, it's pretty much the same all over the world. I remember the guys at the office in Manila telling me that Chili's wasn't very good and that I should try a "local" Tex Mex restaurant with them. I ordered nachos and a chicken dish that sounded very Mexican based on the menu description. So the nachos was literally half a bag of cheap, cold corn chips with a few sliced olives out of a can, a few tiny chunks of dried out chicken meat, and some cold cheese out of a spray can. You could literally see that they hadn't even tried to hide that the cheese was out of a spray can, it was still in the shape that it came out of the nozzle in. And the chicken dish was two small chicken drumsticks, massively overcooked as is the usual way of cooking meat in the Philippines, on top of a huge mound of plain rice. That was it. I was like "how is this even pretending to be Mexican?".

Tex Mex is pretty popular in Thailand, especially among expats. But I really love Thai food a lot and I think I had Tex Mex there once.

I had proper Mexican food when I was staying in Washington DC for a few months. At least it was some kind of generic South American food, at places where my ex and I were the only non-Hispanic people. I prefer Tex Mex.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »
I love enchiladas, they are one of my favourite meals. Last night we had fajitas which were a bit spicy but nice.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2019, 05:30:46 AM »
Authentic Mexican is so good. There used to be a little hole in the wall place in Houston that I loved (Can't recall the name as its been 25 years) but it was tiny and run by a local Mexican family and constantly busy. The food was the best I've had.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2019, 09:08:06 PM »

Seems like November 6 is national nachos day all over. I still feel bloated after all those nachos yesterday.

Tex Mex is fairly popular here, but it goes in cycles. We have a local Tex Mex chain that has been going gangbusters over the past few years. I love enchiladas but if it's got wheat flour then I'm gonna regret it over the next couple of days, but not as much as my wife and kids will regret it. My mother used to love bean enchiladas.

I probably ate Tex Mex most often when I was in Jakarta and Manila, at Chili's. Chili's is like McDonalds, it's pretty much the same all over the world. I remember the guys at the office in Manila telling me that Chili's wasn't very good and that I should try a "local" Tex Mex restaurant with them. I ordered nachos and a chicken dish that sounded very Mexican based on the menu description. So the nachos was literally half a bag of cheap, cold corn chips with a few sliced olives out of a can, a few tiny chunks of dried out chicken meat, and some cold cheese out of a spray can. You could literally see that they hadn't even tried to hide that the cheese was out of a spray can, it was still in the shape that it came out of the nozzle in. And the chicken dish was two small chicken drumsticks, massively overcooked as is the usual way of cooking meat in the Philippines, on top of a huge mound of plain rice. That was it. I was like "how is this even pretending to be Mexican?".

Tex Mex is pretty popular in Thailand, especially among expats. But I really love Thai food a lot and I think I had Tex Mex there once.

I had proper Mexican food when I was staying in Washington DC for a few months. At least it was some kind of generic South American food, at places where my ex and I were the only non-Hispanic people. I prefer Tex Mex.

I was only making an observation how "everything" is marketable these days. Kind of a joke, really.

But, Hell! They even have to put a sponsor name on the advertisements, during football, these days.  "HEY!" This is the Toyota line update, made possible by Honda, in coordination with Fox Studios. Stay tuned for the latest from Fox "  Then you get a Honda, an insurance company, three movie trailers and a Toyota commercial, THEN the line update.
Absurd, but this is what keeps these fabulous sporting events free to watch on regular television. So, I succumb to mass marketability.

But, you enjoying Tex Mex style? I would not have known about that without your input.
I grew up in the farthest southern tip of Texas (McAllen, yep, I'm a Bulldog) and had many "TexMex" girl friends growing up. I learned to cook from my mom, of course (all West Texas style- Hey whats for supper?  I don't know, but the grease is hot, what are we frying?), but adding to that knowledge, I had many influences. I can do an awesome Tex Mex meal, with or without the outdoor grille.

I might just admit to a preference for the outdoor cooking styles that I have learned. Just not so available to me here in Indiana, due to weather. Now, understand that normally, southern Texas folk with a "Mexican heritage" usually have a covered area that they keep going with a ready fire most of the time, rain or shine.
Unfortunately, "city style" living has undone much of the culture that is so prevalent with about eighty five per cent of the population of the area. Most of the elders just want to go back to the way it used to be (count me in!). 
Cut up a goat or a pig or a calf and cook the whole thing over a slow, smoky open fire all day. Lay the whole beast out on a table and allow everyone interested to cut off what they want to eat. Grab a tortilla, some salsa and life is good!

I can imagine that the hard part in recreating such cuisine for those far away from the center of it all, comes from the trouble gathering fresh ingredients.

You can grow your own fresh cilantro, garlic, onions, tomatoes, even tomatillos and cumin where you live. Limes and avocados might be tricky, but I am sure both could grow in SOME place on your continent.

It  just thrills me to know that you and I love the same foods!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:12:59 PM by DirtDawg »