Educational

Author Topic: Can't Fix Stupid...  (Read 3891 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Re: Can't Fix Stupid...
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
Stock market is doing stupid shit, in response to the stupid shit.
I hope your investments are well diversified. Have you noticed that the top forty or more percent of losses are in the top ten most invested stocks?

I check my stock portfolio every other day or so lately, not to be a bitch, but to assuage my concerns that my investment strategist is smart and doing a good job for me. So far he is. He avoided binding me with those top stocks like Apple or banking.

I mean, I am at end game here. What I have is small, but it is all I have. Being retired, it is time for my previous work to work for me.
I have a nice home, almost paid off with enough in short term investments to pay it off if anything bad happens. A few other minor interests, but then I am done.

This turn down of the market has not hurt me at all, yet. The Fed wanting to raise interests rates is a bad thing for me though. It is going to happen soon.
Only my metal mining reserves will save me from this.

Glad your investments are safer. I am still young enough in the workforce that I don't really have investments. That and...well I don't trust stocks so I have avoided it. Dunno what I'll do, besides keep paying my taxes. If I get a full time job I think I'll reassess. I don't mind being low-income.

I feel like the USD is going to take a nose dive in my lifetime... it worries me.
That is why jumping into silver, gold, copper, zinc, palladium, cobalt or iron makes sense. Even elements which are considered junk from other mining operations like molybdenum. These are all elements needed to build computers, cell phones, solar panels, fancy displays or even modern cars. Hard to go wrong.

It is a many eggs, even more baskets thing.

I wish I could...but then I get to thinking about the ethics of the mining companies and I feel guilty.

Fun fact, (I don't have the citation because it is something I discovered when researching good investments long ago), whenever there are recessions, the value of gold stock is usually unaffected, or actually increases. Mainly because once things begin failing, people fall back on stocks that have been most stable over the decades. Gold is one, and I would guess the others are pretty similar.

I wish I knew what companies were working for the global good of humanity and the world, then I would invest that-a-ways. :/

(P.s. just because I feel guilty doesn't mean I think other should too. Its just one of the things I struggle with. In stocks, in education, in careers. OGD---- obsessive guiltiness disorder. <--- I made that up.)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 08:58:56 PM by sg1008 »
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2018, 09:17:55 PM »
I hope your investments are well diversified. Have you noticed that the top forty or more percent of losses are in the top ten most invested stocks?

I check my stock portfolio every other day or so lately, not to be a bitch, but to assuage my concerns that my investment strategist is smart and doing a good job for me. So far he is. He avoided binding me with those top stocks like Apple or banking.

I mean, I am at end game here. What I have is small, but it is all I have. Being retired, it is time for my previous work to work for me.
I have a nice home, almost paid off with enough in short term investments to pay it off if anything bad happens. A few other minor interests, but then I am done.

This turn down of the market has not hurt me at all, yet. The Fed wanting to raise interests rates is a bad thing for me though. It is going to happen soon.

Glad your investments are safer. I am still young enough in the workforce that I don't really have investments. That and...well I don't trust stocks so I have avoided it. Dunno what I'll do, besides keep paying my taxes. If I get a full time job I think I'll reassess. I don't mind being low-income.

I feel like the USD is going to take a nose dive in my lifetime... it worries me.
That is why jumping into silver, gold, copper, zinc, palladium, cobalt or iron makes sense. Even elements which are considered junk from other mining operations like molybdenum. These are all elements needed to build computers, cell phones, solar panels, fancy displays or even modern cars. Hard to go wrong.

I wish I could...but then I get to thinking about the ethics of the mining companies and I feel guilty.

Fun fact, (I don't have the citation because it is something I discovered when researching good investments long ago), whenever there are recessions, the value of gold stock is usually unaffected, or actually increases. Mainly because once things begin failing, people fall back on stocks that have been most stable over the decades. Gold is one, and I would guess the others are pretty similar.

I wish I knew what companies were working for the global good of humanity and the world, then I would invest that-a-ways. :/

(P.s. just because I feel guilty doesn't mean I think other should too. Its just one of the things I struggle with. In stocks, in education, in careers. OGD---- obsessive guiltiness disorder. <--- I made that up.)

Going with the thread title here.

It is not about the common good when you are planning for your own.
I actually thought I was talking to a pier.  (not one hundred percent sure I know how to spell things and stuff, but go back and figure this shit again)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2018, 10:12:57 PM »

I actually thought I was talking to a pier.  (not one hundred percent sure I know how to spell things and stuff, but go back and figure this shit again)

uh....

I'm confused. I don't think I am stupid though, if that's what you're getting at.

To back track, you mentioned some good options of things to invest in, and while I agreed, I was also mentioning that my hesitation has to do with my worries about the ethics of the companies that are invested in. If I could be sure a company was working for the common good (which is silly), it would assuage those worries. But, I acknowledged, so that no one would assume I thought these worries were entirely rational, that it is (to a point) obsessive (and often blossoms into full blown paranoia, taking the shape of guilt). Overtime I usually can reassess and overcome these worries, which is what I plan to do once I go full-time. And when I go full-time and I am reassessing things, I hope I'll do it with some degree of savvy so it won't be affected by dumb politics....

Anyways, if you weren't calling me stupid and just meant to get back on topic, then, I feel sort of that this presidency's lunacy (which is not restricted to the commander in chief, but all his cronies in government) might be endangering to USD in general (not just messing with the stocks), because .... if folks who have money and power start to see it as a trend (not a one time mishap), we are revealing a great vulnerability in our government that does not bode well for the USD.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2018, 10:23:08 PM »
I talked to a pier once. The conversation was very wooden.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2018, 02:51:18 AM »

uh....

I'm confused. I don't think I am stupid though, if that's what you're getting at.

To back track, you mentioned some good options of things to invest in, and while I agreed, I was also mentioning that my hesitation has to do with my worries about the ethics of the companies that are invested in. If I could be sure a company was working for the common good (which is silly), it would assuage those worries. But, I acknowledged, so that no one would assume I thought these worries were entirely rational, that it is (to a point) obsessive (and often blossoms into full blown paranoia, taking the shape of guilt). Overtime I usually can reassess and overcome these worries, which is what I plan to do once I go full-time. And when I go full-time and I am reassessing things, I hope I'll do it with some degree of savvy so it won't be affected by dumb politics....

Anyways, if you weren't calling me stupid and just meant to get back on topic, then, I feel sort of that this presidency's lunacy (which is not restricted to the commander in chief, but all his cronies in government) might be endangering to USD in general (not just messing with the stocks), because .... if folks who have money and power start to see it as a trend (not a one time mishap), we are revealing a great vulnerability in our government that does not bode well for the USD.

Yeah, that was a light hearted stab, trying to be cute.

I tend to agree about the danger to our long term futures, but I also insist that we should take the money and run when we have a chance.
Maybe the fact that I am sixty three years old contributes to this end game philosophy, while disregarding other concerns.

This is not rock paper scissors. Hard stocks like minerals and precious metals win every time over Wall Street.

But in support of your concerns, and for my own I have never bought South African gold or central African diamonds.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:53:59 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #155 on: December 25, 2018, 03:02:46 AM »

I was kind of being an asshole to make a point.

Notice my identity. Not sure I give a fuck about the common good.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 03:04:17 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2018, 04:14:05 AM »
The market was certainly due for a correction but it didn't have to be in this way. The moron in chief doesn't understand (or doesn't care) that what a president does will have consequences.

He knows. He revels in it. Then he blames others for it if it goes wrong.

I'm not sure he fully understands. His impulsive Twitter-based decision-making process tells a different story.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2018, 04:15:06 AM »

:oneliner:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2018, 11:38:52 AM »
The market was certainly due for a correction but it didn't have to be in this way. The moron in chief doesn't understand (or doesn't care) that what a president does will have consequences.

I'm not sure he fully understands. His impulsive Twitter-based decision-making process tells a different story.

If he truly doesn't understand, you would think the republican party leaders would have been aware of this deficit ???

*throws hands up in the air*

It's despicable of them to put someone who can't do a job in a position to fail. That's terrible. Using him basically. They are just as bad as he is, in this case.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #159 on: December 25, 2018, 05:13:28 PM »

If he truly doesn't understand, you would think the republican party leaders would have been aware of this deficit ???

It's despicable of them to put someone who can't do a job in a position to fail. That's terrible. Using him basically. They are just as bad as he is, in this case.

They use words like "moron", "idiot", "five year old", ect to describe him. They're aware.

And, if you pay attention to how they've reacted, on many levels, it's pretty obvious that they are.

The problem is, the CiC is not an idiot in all things. He's very adroit at turning his base against Republicans.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:15:21 PM by Calandale »

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2018, 05:30:44 PM »

I was kind of being an asshole to make a point.

Notice my identity. Not sure I give a fuck about the common good.

It was a silly joke.

I am about as far left as SG. But I would always give ethical investments a big swerve. One of my brothers invested in some ethical investments and I'm pretty sure he lost most of it.

Companies and corporations aren't supposed to have ethics. Expecting them to have  ethics is letting government off the hook.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:35:39 PM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »
Sociopathic behavior, such as maximizing profit over the common weal, OUGHT to result in removing the ability to
continue such practice. Like, put them out of business for a few months/years.

If corporations are people, let's start treating them as such in the penalty side too.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #162 on: December 26, 2018, 04:03:12 AM »

They used each other. But yes, they are as bad as he is.

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
I began thinking about how imbalanced society is. We are too specialised, socially, politically, economically. You can't have any global cultural upliftment when everyones niche can remain so seperated from everyone else's. How can anyone lead in this social environment? Of course they use him. Of course he uses them. And all those that wouldn't are likely nowhere close enough to be any kind of influence
  *sigh*

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2018, 04:04:24 AM »
Don't think of Trump or the RNC as the norm.

- Albert Einstein