Author Topic: Migration from EU to UK continues to fall, ONS figures show  (Read 381 times)

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Migration from EU to UK continues to fall, ONS figures show
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:32:09 AM »
Migration from EU to UK continues to fall, ONS figures show

The number of EU citizens moving to the UK has continued to decrease over the last year, figures show.

EU net migration has returned to the level last seen in 2012, according to the Office for National Statistics data which covers the year to March 2018.

Some 226,000 EU citizens came to the UK and 138,000 EU citizens left.

Brings a smile.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Migration from EU to UK continues to fall, ONS figures show
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »
No shit, Sherlock.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
Point taken, veg face.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 06:02:30 PM »
The right-wing conservatives trying to take control of the party that is in government now in Australia are talking about cutting right back on immigration. Two things: (1) it won't happen, it's dog whistling; and (2) they will get massacred at the next election, which is due May next year at the very latest (will probably come earlier). And the champion lefties who take the reins certainly won't be cutting back immigration.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:17:03 PM »
I've heard of the Liberals, I know they're a conservative party.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 07:24:35 PM »
I've heard of the Liberals, I know they're a conservative party.

The Liberals have lurched to the right in recent years.

There is talk of the Liberal party splitting as the centrists are so far apart ideologically from the conservatives within the party. The conservatives are currently pulling the strings but they are unpopular with the voters.

Labor is pretty much a centrist party now.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 07:27:14 PM »
Where would I be politically?  Politically, the Liberal Democrats sound good but the welfare state side of it looks a bit too extreme.  I agree with his overall sentiment though.

I thought our cigarette and alcohol prices were insane!  If it was me, I'd be either homebrewing or on the boxed wine. I certainly wouldn't be able to drink like I can here.  The beer prices are nearly double that of home.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:30:05 PM by Tequila »

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 07:32:52 PM »
Where would I be politically?  Politically, the Liberal Democrats sound good but the welfare state side of it looks a bit too extreme.  I agree with his overall sentiment though.

I thought our cigarette and alcohol prices were insane!  If it was me, I'd be either homebrewing or on the goon.

Leyonhjelm is a complete idiot and a drama queen. I agree with him on some points.

For the sake of honesty they should call themselves the Libertarian Democrats.

Cigarette prices here are crazy. Glad I don't smoke. Hardly anyone does any more, apart from bogans.

Booze is expensive, even having a drink at the pub or even buying a decent slab of beer. Goon is always very cheap, and a proud Aussie invention.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
Leyonhjelm is a complete idiot and a drama queen. I agree with him on some points.

I've seen some of his output.  I'm half-way between a small-l liberal and a libertarian.  Classical liberal is what I like to call myself.

For the sake of honesty they should call themselves the Libertarian Democrats.

I had a Liberal Democrat tile on my Facebook wall!  I bet I got some odd looks from people I know!

Cigarette prices here are crazy. Glad I don't smoke. Hardly anyone does any more, apart from bogans.

I know there's a problem (or a solution) with Indonesia there.  Prices too high, you get that.

Goon is always very cheap, and a proud Aussie invention.

You can get cheap enough wine here too - wine for £3.50-£4 a bottle.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »
So the bit you disagree with libertarians about is social welfare?

4 quid a bottle for wine, that'll almost get you a whole goon box here. Quality would be similar.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »
How much is a goon box, and for what?  I read that it's about A$10 for a five-litre box at 12% ABV.

When it's on special offer it's about £6 for four bottles of 8.2% cider.  But that's a step-up from the cheap stuff.  Thatcher's Katy is pretty decent stuff.

The classic thing here is white cider - 7.5%, three litres, around £3 a bottle.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:22:04 PM by Tequila »

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »
So the bit you disagree with libertarians about is social welfare?

More or less.  If you can't look after yourself, you should be looked after.  Otherwise, free-markets, fast Internet, good fun, have a nice life, thank you very much.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »
How much is a goon box, and for what?  Reports here suggest it's about A$10 for a five-litre box at 12% ABV.

When it's on special offer it's about £6 for four bottles of 8.2% cider.  But that's a step-up from the cheap stuff.  Thatcher's Katy is pretty decent stuff.

The classic thing here is white cider - 7.5%, three litres, around £3 a bottle.

That's about right. for the goon price. I think you can get it cheaper sometimes. I don't buy it, I prefer cheap Italian wine to cheap Aussie wine.

I remember scrumpy (cider) being cheaper than coca cola in the supermarkets in the UK. I will have to try the cheap stuff next time I'm in the UK. I really like cider now (I was still able to drink beer when I lived in the UK).

That white cider sounds like your equivalent of goon. If you want to drink goon like a bogan teenager you need to make sure that you don't use a cup - you just hold the cask (or better still throw the bladder away and just hold the "bladder") above your head and open the spout and let it pour directly into your mouth.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 08:31:44 PM »
I remember scrumpy (cider) being cheaper than coca cola in the supermarkets in the UK. I will have to try the cheap stuff next time I'm in the UK. I really like cider now (I was still able to drink beer when I lived in the UK).

Thatcher's Katy is what you want.  7.4%, fizzy, very nice.  Weston's Vintage is 8.2% but has a decidedly alcoholic aftertaste.  It's more than drinkable but it's strong.  The Thatcher's Katy is actually pleasant.

That white cider sounds like your equivalent of goon. If you want to drink goon like a bogan teenager you need to make sure that you don't use a cup - you just hold the cask (or better still throw the bladder away and just hold the "bladder") above your head and open the spout and let it pour directly into your mouth.

It used to be all super-strength lager but that's gone up in price.  Any beer or lager over 7.5% has a different tax band - that's really why imperial stouts are costly.  One 10% 330ml bottle of those costs, like, £4 or so.  A can of Van Pur Karpackie you used to be able to get for well under £1.50.  A four-pack of Carlsberg Special Brew used to be about £5.30 (9%), but it's quite a lot more these days. That, along with Tennent's Super, has had its strength lowered to 8%.

I thought of homebrewing but sourcing the apple juice would be the problem.  Could be pissed for £2.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:33:47 PM by Tequila »

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
As for the goon - ugh!