Educational

Author Topic: No Spanking Laws  (Read 10691 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: No Spanking Laws
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2013, 08:27:58 AM »
I don't know. Is it just me BUT when they too, use the framing of child abuse or murdering rates and corporal punishment....it kind of feels (tell me I am wrong by all means) that they may be throwing in spanking a child's bottom with hitting , beating and bloody murder. i am trying not to be biased or sensitive over this but when they say that since introducing anti-spanking laws there has been less deaths...it kind of points to spanking being related to deaths?

Does spanking a child (giving three controlled smacks on the bottom for bad behaviour for example cause death? No bottoms falling off or heart attacks or anything? No, no then what? Oh these particular people smacked their kids but ALSO did stuff that ought to be banned like beating them senseless. Was it smacking bottoms or beating them senseless that killed the children? Money on the later.
Was there research into their own methods or questions about their effectiveness or their preferred parenting method? I did not see it in the article.

Sounds a little slanted...more than a little.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #181 on: May 03, 2013, 08:37:06 AM »
I don't know. Is it just me BUT when they too, use the framing of child abuse or murdering rates and corporal punishment....it kind of feels (tell me I am wrong by all means) that they may be throwing in spanking a child's bottom with hitting , beating and bloody murder. i am trying not to be biased or sensitive over this but when they say that since introducing anti-spanking laws there has been less deaths...it kind of points to spanking being related to deaths?

Does spanking a child (giving three controlled smacks on the bottom for bad behaviour for example cause death? No bottoms falling off or heart attacks or anything? No, no then what? Oh these particular people smacked their kids but ALSO did stuff that ought to be banned like beating them senseless. Was it smacking bottoms or beating them senseless that killed the children? Money on the later.
Was there research into their own methods or questions about their effectiveness or their preferred parenting method? I did not see it in the article.

Sounds a little slanted...more than a little.

;)

Physically and mentally. Its happening.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #182 on: May 03, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
The European Commission of Human Rights document is not really relevant to other parts of the world.  It is relevant to me in UK because the Uk is in the European Union.  Well it is 'in' with it's arse hanging out.  UK won't relinquish its pound and it has yet to follow all the requirements regarding corporal punishment. 

However the powers of The European Court of Human Rights supersede domestic law anyway.  Therefore it doesn't really matter what the people of the UK think, or what the government think for that matter.  They can, and have done, ruled over British law. Therefore the UK has to follow this policy anyway.

I don't think it is such a bad thing, if you look at the results from Sweden, if they are accurate.  My only gripe with the whole process is the way they imply that smacking is done due to a lack of education, or lack of intellect.    I do not agree.

Just to clear up how the UN defines corporal punishment
 The Committee provides a broad definition of co
rporal punishment in its General Comment:
“The Committee defines ‘corporal’ or ‘physical’ pun
ishment as any punishment in which
physical force is used and intended to cause some d
egree of pain or discomfort, however
light. Most involves hitting (‘smacking’, ‘slappin
g’, ‘spanking’) children, with the hand or with
an implement - a whip, stick, belt, shoe, wooden sp
oon, etc. But it can also involve, for
example, kicking, shaking or throwing children, scr
atching, pinching, biting, pulling hair or
boxing ears, forcing children to stay in uncomforta
ble positions, burning, scalding or forced
ingestion (for example, washing children’s mouths o
ut with soap or forcing them to swallow
hot spices). In the view of the Committee, corpora
l punishment is invariably degrading. In
addition, there are other non-physical forms of pun
ishment that are also cruel and
degrading and thus incompatible with the Convention
...”
https://wcd.coe.int/com.instranet.InstraServlet?Index=no&command=com.instranet.CmdBlobGet&InstranetImage=1016557&SecMode=1&DocId=1318136&Usage=2
blah blah blah

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #183 on: May 03, 2013, 10:03:34 AM »
The European Commission of Human Rights document is not really relevant to other parts of the world.  It is relevant to me in UK because the Uk is in the European Union.  Well it is 'in' with it's arse hanging out.  UK won't relinquish its pound and it has yet to follow all the requirements regarding corporal punishment. 

However the powers of The European Court of Human Rights supersede domestic law anyway.  Therefore it doesn't really matter what the people of the UK think, or what the government think for that matter.  They can, and have done, ruled over British law. Therefore the UK has to follow this policy anyway.

I don't think it is such a bad thing, if you look at the results from Sweden, if they are accurate.  My only gripe with the whole process is the way they imply that smacking is done due to a lack of education, or lack of intellect.    I do not agree.

Just to clear up how the UN defines corporal punishment
 The Committee provides a broad definition of co
rporal punishment in its General Comment:
“The Committee defines ‘corporal’ or ‘physical’ pun
ishment as any punishment in which
physical force is used and intended to cause some d
egree of pain or discomfort, however
light. Most involves hitting (‘smacking’, ‘slappin
g’, ‘spanking’) children, with the hand or with
an implement - a whip, stick, belt, shoe, wooden sp
oon, etc. But it can also involve, for
example, kicking, shaking or throwing children, scr
atching, pinching, biting, pulling hair or
boxing ears, forcing children to stay in uncomforta
ble positions, burning, scalding or forced
ingestion (for example, washing children’s mouths o
ut with soap or forcing them to swallow
hot spices). In the view of the Committee, corpora
l punishment is invariably degrading. In
addition, there are other non-physical forms of pun
ishment that are also cruel and
degrading and thus incompatible with the Convention
...”
https://wcd.coe.int/com.instranet.InstraServlet?Index=no&command=com.instranet.CmdBlobGet&InstranetImage=1016557&SecMode=1&DocId=1318136&Usage=2

I agree with the sentiment that the "trying to educate" implies that the parents who agree with smacking to be uneducated or unable to reason NOT that they would choose that given other choices.

A mother with three young kids in the doctor's surgery today.
I witnessed a lot of attempts to stop her kids being naughty. Ranging from telling her daughters that she would get the police to arrest them to rewarding them with a toy to distract them.
It did not stop them and i was not impressed. At one point, I said to one of the who was pulling another off balance by her clothes 'i really don't think she likes that", to which she let go and gave me a frightened slack jawed look. Mind you I have a throat infection and a croaky voice.
I was funny, it reminded me of this thread for some reason
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #184 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:46 AM »
"trying to educate", Means taking away rights and passing laws, to prevent people from acting in a way you don't like.
I will never stop...

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #185 on: May 03, 2013, 10:41:14 AM »
Matter of fact, THIS is how I plan to raise any kids i'll have. Try and stop me and I will literally kill you. Seriously, folks. Mind your own fucking business.

I will never stop...

Offline BadgerTom

• DEPRAVED ASSHAT
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • NSFW - Not Safe for Woke
« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Hahahaha, Gotta love TeamFourStar!

It's a shame really that they only made 3 episodes of Hellsing Ultimate Abridged!

"Get that Bitch a Cannon... Bitches LOVE Cannons"! >:D

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
Eh. They might make more.
I will never stop...

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2013, 03:58:57 PM »
The European Commission of Human Rights document is not really relevant to other parts of the world.  It is relevant to me in UK because the Uk is in the European Union.

Fair enough. This would be very problematic in the US. There's still corporal punishment in the schools, not just spankings but those nasty little isolation rooms. The department of children's services has a bad reputation as it is; can't imagine them mandating such a law.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #189 on: May 03, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »
The European Commission of Human Rights document is not really relevant to other parts of the world.  It is relevant to me in UK because the Uk is in the European Union.

Fair enough. This would be very problematic in the US. There's still corporal punishment in the schools, not just spankings but those nasty little isolation rooms. The department of children's services has a bad reputation as it is; can't imagine them mandating such a law.

Isolation rooms?  are they medical rooms?
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #190 on: May 03, 2013, 05:42:13 PM »
Locked in an empty room; maybe some work to do. Thinking I first heard of it here from Callaway bringing it up. Never knew such a thing existed until looking it up. It's not extremely common but not uncommon either...can't remember exactly, though that's true of corporal punishment too. It's not everywhere. It made me wonder if the parents are even aware those rooms exist, since have never heard of it until a couple years ago.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #191 on: May 03, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Sounds a bit dodgy.
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #192 on: May 03, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
You mean you don't believe it?

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2013, 04:25:46 AM »
Na just mean it sounds like ....something kept hush hush! 
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »
Yes, made me wonder that. Maybe not. Parents are informed about corporal punishment policy in schools that still have it, so maybe those schools have a little section in their school handbook about their creepy isolation policy. It's dumbfounding either way, really.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:05:28 AM by Jack »