Author Topic: No Spanking Laws  (Read 10616 times)

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
Re: No Spanking Laws
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2007, 04:46:49 AM »
Spare the rod and spoil the child does that work no.

Is not hitting your child spoiling it? I think not.

Discipline and child abuse are two different things.

When does discipline stop and abuse begin? Can you define the amount of force used or the places to hit?

Children are made to push themselves at a young age for it is ingrained in the DNA. That is how they learn.

So? Hitting them will not change this.

Parents are there to protect them from harm. Parents are also there to encourage them too.

The more reason not to hit them.

Nothing is every black or white odeon I believe.

Which is why it's not possible to draw a line between abuse and discipline.
As honest as I am I don't really know the answers to any of Your responses.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2007, 04:48:44 AM »
Let's leave it at that, Kevv. I know you're being honest, and I respect you for it. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Teejay

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2007, 05:42:17 AM »
So, were you ever spanked when you were a kid, Teejay?

Smacked rather than spanked.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2007, 05:53:58 AM »
So, were you ever spanked when you were a kid, Teejay?

Smacked rather than spanked.
are you a violent adult?
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2007, 06:50:22 AM »
I don't have any especially warm feelings for my father, but that's not mainly because he spanked me, but becuase he was unfair and psychically dominant in general when I was a child. I can't blame him much, though, since he's an aspie himself, and at that time wasn't even aware of the existence of AS. Now when he knows that I'm an aspie and probably knows that he is one himself, though openly denying it, he seems to deeply regret his old behaviour. My NT mother spanked me and even slapped me on the face a couple of times when I was a kid, but I don't hate her for that. She's my favourite parent. And they always stood up for me against others when I was in trouble, which I often was.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »
I don't have any especially warm feelings for my father, but that's not mainly because he spanked me, but becuase he was unfair and psychically dominant in general when I was a child. I can't blame him much, though, since he's an aspie himself, and at that time wasn't even aware of the existence of AS. Now when he knows that I'm an aspie and probably knows that he is one himself, though openly denying it, he seems to deeply regret his old behaviour. My NT mother spanked me and even slapped me on the face a couple of times when I was a kid, but I don't hate her for that. She's my favourite parent. And they always stood up for me against others when I was in trouble, which I often was.

+

Agree, Tig. I loved both my parents dearly.
My parents were both a treasure. They did not let this kid spoil for want of the rod.
I grew up in an era when everyone slapped their kids for the least cross word and spanked them with belts and paddles across the lower butt and upper legs for not finishing a chore on time. I got lots of belt spankings that left welts on me, but so did most everyone, else. My mom's diamond ring has bloodied my lip many times from a careless or hurried backhanded slap across my smartass mouth. It was the way it was done with kids and I didn't need to understand it ... I needed to learn from it (???) ... there was a lesson there, each time, because my parents were not abusive with their discipline.

Teachers also paddled kids who got out of line or talked back. Our shop teacher used to make special paddles for each teacher, fancy ones, with engraved names or burned-in designs. Some of them had holes in them to make even more pain and welts where they hit. Some teachers even had little gunracks to hold their paddles in prominent display. One of the coaches used to give "licks" every day to a number of deserving trouble makers.

He would stand at the showers and whip your wet ass and then laugh at the severe, reddened welts he proudly left behind. He hit me many times for not keeping my shirt on. I hated clothes at times and a sweaty t shirt was awful on my back. That got me lots of licks, from his two handed, inch-thick, hardwood paddle, with holes drilled in it for aerodynamics. The holes also whistled, warningly as he swung it. It was his daily ritual, he enjoyed it, kept a little ceremony to put his best effort forward and he did it well. It wasn't everyone who got licks, though. Only about five or ten out of about sixty got licks, each day and not always the same ones. He was not considered abusive, even though he put so much sadism into his ritual. He had five Phys-Ed classes to maintain, so he got to do his wet ass-licking ritual every hour.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2007, 09:14:43 AM »
Maybe corporal punishment doesn't work, but guilting me into doing what my parents want DEFINITELY doesn't work.  The only thing that provokes me to do things is to avoid listening to him whine.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2007, 09:40:12 AM »

I'm not convinced that there is any external force that will MAKE obstinate kids do what they are told. It must come from inside and if you want to get something specific done, like math homework, there must be a carrot introduced, of some sort, to influence the thought processes. Finding the magic carrot is the big problem.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »
Teachers also paddled kids who got out of line or talked back. Our shop teacher used to make special paddles for each teacher, fancy ones, with engraved names or burned-in designs. Some of them had holes in them to make even more pain and welts where they hit. Some teachers even had little gunracks to hold their paddles in prominent display. One of the coaches used to give "licks" every day to a number of deserving trouble makers.

He would stand at the showers and whip your wet ass and then laugh at the severe, reddened welts he proudly left behind. He hit me many times for not keeping my shirt on. I hated clothes at times and a sweaty t shirt was awful on my back. That got me lots of licks, from his two handed, inch-thick, hardwood paddle, with holes drilled in it for aerodynamics. The holes also whistled, warningly as he swung it. It was his daily ritual, he enjoyed it, kept a little ceremony to put his best effort forward and he did it well. It wasn't everyone who got licks, though. Only about five or ten out of about sixty got licks, each day and not always the same ones. He was not considered abusive, even though he put so much sadism into his ritual. He had five Phys-Ed classes to maintain, so he got to do his wet ass-licking ritual every hour.

My father is a few years older than you and when he went to school and someone was making trouble or not paying attention in class, the teachers used to put the pupils' hands on the teachers' desk and then hit the fingers either with the blackboard pointer or with a ruler. One sadistic teacher in me father's school used a ruler with an edge of steel, so it would hurt even more and leave deap lines across the fingers for several days or weeks.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2007, 09:17:36 PM »
I plan to manipulate the shit out of my kids(provided I have kids).  Plan to train them to believe that they really want things I can give, and if they want to keep getting it, they better do what I say.

I know that sounds evil, but I don't plan to order my kids to do much.  Just enough to build good habits.  Study habits, working habits, eating habits, excersize habits, hygiene habits.  Besides making sure they learn to internally want to do those things, I plan to give them more or less free reign.

You know, authoritative.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2007, 02:40:59 AM »
You're in for a shock, Nomaken. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2007, 04:15:38 AM »
You're in for a shock, Nomaken. :laugh:

:agreed:  :laugh:

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2007, 05:01:57 AM »
Is it still a shock when you know it is coming?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2007, 05:05:18 AM »
Is it still a shock when you know it is coming?

It can be because I don't think you can ever be completely prepared for just how hard kids can be to understand.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2007, 05:27:44 AM »
I think kids are incredibly easy to understand.  But I think that wont stop me from being frustrated in a time sensative situation when I want one thing to happen, and right then they just wont have it.