Educational

Author Topic: Possible broken coccyx  (Read 528 times)

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
Re: Possible broken coccyx
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 11:41:58 PM »
Heat will increase blood flow and speed the healing process.

Cold will reduce swelling/pain/inflammation following the injury.

Once you're over the swelling and inflammation, switch to heat.

Thanks for this info, Minister of silly walks. Very informative.

Yeah, like this for temporary injuries. Quite another approach for debilitating, long term, never ever going to heal discomforts.

But HELL!! Go get yourself a few X-rays and determine the extent of your injury.
That is step one!

I would get some X-rays done but the waiting time is incredible. My mate who attended emergency waited 8 hours just to be seen to. I'd need to go through that before being referred to get an X-ray. I'm way too impatient with some things.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 01:52:27 AM »
Don't you think you should try to endure the wait, though? :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
An X-ray would be able to tell you if it's broken or dislocated.  Otherwise, I'm of two minds here:

It's like a broken toe.  There's no practical way to set it.  So the best thing they can do is give you pain pills until the pain lessens.

It's not like a broken toe.  A toe is not like the spine.  But at least there aren't any spinal nerves in a toe. 

Tailbone Injury Treatment (From WebMD)

Home Remedies
Tailbone injuries are often extremely painful, so home remedies aim to control pain and avoid further irritation to the area.

Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, avoid sitting on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

For traumatic injuries, apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, four times a day, for the first few days after the injury.

Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as aspirin or ibuprofen to reduce pain and improve your ability to move around. Do not take NSAIDS if you have kidney disease, a history of gastrointestinal bleeding, or are also taking a blood thinner -- such as Coumadin -- without first talking with your doctor. In that case, it is safer to take acetaminophen, which helps lessen pain but does not reduce inflammation.

You can purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.

Eat foods high in fiber to soften stools and avoid constipation.

Medical Treatment
In addition to home care, a doctor may be able to provide further relief of pain with other medical and, rarely, surgical interventions.

Stronger pain medications may be prescribed at the discretion of your doctor.

Stool softeners may be prescribed to prevent constipation.

Injections of local anesthetics into the tailbone are sometimes required for continuing pain.

Rarely, the coccyx may be surgically removed.

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 12:04:51 PM »

Thanks for this info, Minister of silly walks. Very informative.

Yeah, like this for temporary injuries. Quite another approach for debilitating, long term, never ever going to heal discomforts.

But HELL!! Go get yourself a few X-rays and determine the extent of your injury.
That is step one!

I would get some X-rays done but the waiting time is incredible. My mate who attended emergency waited 8 hours just to be seen to. I'd need to go through that before being referred to get an X-ray. I'm way too impatient with some things.

Some annoyances that either avoided or struggled through which could affect your health later in life might be worth suffering.

Fuck's sake, Man!!  Everything else you care about as you find physical pleasures and quiet comforts may diminish in importance if this possible injury is not handled properly. Go suffer the wait list and get this assessed by someone who is able to offer informed help.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 12:10:47 PM »
Been there, felt that!   Hope it feels better quickly.  An x-ray wouldn't hurt and would give a good estimate for the damage done.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
Thanks guys!!

I have an NA meeting this arvo so I'll head up to the hospital once I get out of there.

Thanks for searching that info for me, Queen Victoria. I don't usually have the motivation for health related issues. Something of an attitude problem, methinks.  :apondering:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »
There's no practical way to set it.

They could put his ass in a sling.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline jedicounsellor

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 07:32:10 AM »

There was a suggestion from my doctor to purchase a doughnut shaped cushion to sit on.

The doctor at the hospital told me that images aren't normally taken of possible coccyx fractures, and she checked my lower spine by putting pressure on the vertebra, and coccyx. Unable to locate a definite source of the pain, I was released. My shoulder is sore from whiplash, but I'm hoping that my coccyx isn't actually fractured.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »

There was a suggestion from my doctor to purchase a doughnut shaped cushion to sit on.

The doctor at the hospital told me that images aren't normally taken of possible coccyx fractures, and she checked my lower spine by putting pressure on the vertebra, and coccyx. Unable to locate a definite source of the pain, I was released. My shoulder is sore from whiplash, but I'm hoping that my coccyx isn't actually fractured.

That was a joke, but I wasn't sure if anyone would get it. It's an old saying.  :dunno:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »

That was a joke, but I wasn't sure if anyone would get it. It's an old saying.  :dunno:

I got it.

But I refuse to acknowledge how funny your jokes are because of our ongoing feud.

Stinky redneck gopher.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 04:07:40 AM »

I got it.

But I refuse to acknowledge how funny your jokes are because of our ongoing feud.

Stinky redneck gopher.

You could not feud properly if you were raised by feuders in Feudtown and forced to feud or risk being rogered by rapid Gophers. In fact, you would likely enjoy it.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 04:17:40 AM »

I got it.

Stinky redneck gopher.

You could not feud properly if you were raised by feuders in Feudtown and forced to feud or risk being rogered by rapid Gophers. In fact, you would likely enjoy it.

Stay out of my feud with the stinky gopher. You're obviously the gopher's flying monkey.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 08:06:10 PM »

I got it.

Stinky redneck gopher.

I figured only old people would get it.  :zoinks:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 08:24:25 PM »
Who you callin' old, you stinky rodent?

:odeon:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 08:26:55 PM »
For the edification of inquiring minds:

Etymology
The term coccyx is derived from the ancient Greek word κόκκυξ[17][18] kokkyx "cuckoo";[19] the latter is attested in the writings of the Greek physician Herophilus to denote the end of the vertebral column.[20] This Greek name for the cuckoo was applied as the last three or four bones of the coccyx resemble the beak of this bird,[17][20][21][22] when viewed from the side.[9][23]

This established etymological explanation can also be found in the writings of the 16th century anatomist Andreas Vesalius who wrote: os cuculi, a similitudine rostri cuculi avis [20] (the cuckoo bone shows a likeness to the beak of the cuckoo bird). Vesalius used the Latin expression os cuculi, with os, bone[24] and cuculus, the Latin name for the cuckoo.[24] The 16th/17th century French anatomist Jean Riolan the Younger gives a rather hilarious etymological explanation, as he writes: quia crepitus, qui per sedimentum exeunt, ad is os allisi, cuculi vocis similitudinem effingunt [20] (because the sound of the farts that leave the anus and dash against this bone, shows a likeness to the call of the cuckoo). The latter is not considered as potential candidate.[20][21]

Besides os cuculi, os caudae,[20][25] with caudae, of the tail[24] is attested. This Latin expression might be the source of the English, French language, German and Dutch terms tailbone, l'os de la queue,[25] Schwanzbein [21][25] and staartbeen.[26] In the current official anatomic Latin nomenclature, Terminologia Anatomica,[27] coccyx and os coccygis is used.