Author Topic: "We need new ways of treating depression"  (Read 2121 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: "We need new ways of treating depression"
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
Who's "we"?

Us all. Much medication is merely burying the real problems and dulling the senses.

We wouldn't be depressed if we weren't all dulled to the eyeballs.
I would be less depressed if you fixed the code in your signature.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »
Yeah, putting someone who is depressed on antipsychotics is a fucking cop-out big time, with perhaps one or two exceptions, with specific  drugs used in very specific  ways (such as low-dose amisulpiride, for its activating effects at tiny doses, preferentially blocking D2Sh isoform of the D2 receptor, D2Sh, the short isoform being the autoreceptor for dopamine., as well as its acting as a GHB receptor agonist and causing some degree of glutamate release)

But generally, its turning people who are depressed into zombies who are two mentally stulted to act it, or voice the fact they are depressed, and using drugs that have a  ton of noxious side-effects, some of them potentially lifelong, and a few even potentially lethal.

It does seem like there is promise for both some relatively new established  practices, such as supervised intermittent ketamine infusions, every so often that seems to often be really, really effective in very treatment resistant patients who have tried EVERYTHING, they go in once in a while, every once in several weeks to a couple of months for a one-shot treatment, and then function really well for a long time afterwards, with profound antidepressant effects.

And there are a few investigational new antidepressants either being fast tracked, some having being given approval and several others in the pipeline. IMO there needs  to be more done than just handing out SSRIs, SNRIs, NRIs. At least something like a triple reuptake inhibitor might be a good idea  to trial. AMPAkines perhaps as well, but unfortunately it appears like  big pharma want nothing to do with prodopaminergic agents. Due to them potentially causing euphoria etc.

Which to me, strikes me as  positively counterproductive in depression.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2018, 05:32:12 PM »
https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-06-17/cambodia-suffers-appalling-mental-health-crisis

In 2012, in a first attempt to define the scope of Cambodia’s mental health crisis, the Royal University of Phnom Penh interviewed 2,600 people. More than 27 percent showed acute anxiety, and 16.7 percent suffered from depression.

The study estimated the suicide rate at 42.35 per 100,000 people. That would put Cambodia second only to Greenland in incidence of suicides.

So Cambodia might not have been the best example.

The figures are hardly surprising given the scale of the atrocities committed within living memory for many Cambodians.

80% of them shit in holes.  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:04 PM »
Most people shit in holes. Its the quality of the hole thats important, and whether its attached to a sewerage system. Or whether its used by some dirty, sweaty arab :P

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2018, 09:32:11 PM »
SSRIs did absolutely nothing for me, and nothing happened when I stopped taking them. Not touching antipsychotics or any other psych meds as long as there's a hole in my arse. Diazepam was pretty nice though.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2018, 11:07:13 PM »
I've read way too many horror stories about both the effects of and withdrawing from, SSRIs to ever want anything to do with them if I was depressed. I do find benzos useful though, rather glad my doc  forgot to cancel what was meant to be a short term script for nitrazepam and instead put it on my automatic repeats. Major league stupid and negligent of whoever did since if I did take it as directed, twice every day I'd end up with a very dangerous, and absolutely hideously ugly physical dependency. But they are damn hard to get when one does need them, so now I'm keeping my mouth shut so I've automatically got the well sunk in the resource fields so to speak and can turn the tap on as needed without appointment, for those days when shit hits fan.

And agreed about antipsychotics especially, ew.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2018, 05:57:09 AM »
I've read way too many horror stories about both the effects of and withdrawing from, SSRIs to ever want anything to do with them if I was depressed. I do find benzos useful though, rather glad my doc  forgot to cancel what was meant to be a short term script for nitrazepam and instead put it on my automatic repeats.
I found sentence #1 ironic coming from lestat even BEFORE sentence #2.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2018, 06:16:45 AM »
I don't use them nearly as often as the directions on the packet says. I keep them in reserve for the 'shit just hit the fan and there goes my day, next week and several months after' kind of nasty. Or for occasional insomnia where it gets to the point where its as good as decided by my wetware that today is going to be a day I just do not sleep.

I just kept the script because otherwise, most doctors are so prejudiced about giving out even so much as a single tablet of any benzo, not because of the effect it might have on the patient, but because they, personally, hate benzos. Which I think pretty poor form, automatically denying all patients a medication that they may need, just because of a personal dislike for using the drugs.

So I'm keeping it essentially to keep the claim staked, and to ensure the resource is accessible upon requirement, and not having to be up and out before 8am to even stand a chance of getting an appointment (phone lines? good luck, with this surgery, they are usually all gone two minutes or less after opening the phone lines), so that way I don't have to bugger about with wasting my time and theirs (the GPs) when I might well, and quite probably would get nothing in return for having to stay up all night to make sure I don't oversleep and that I do get an appointment. Which just makes one feel shittier if you are exhausted and can't sleep.

I prefer to keep my options open is all. Although I could certainly make things for the purpose, its a lot easier to have someone automatically make sure there is a box of mogadon (nitrazepam, rohypnol's little brother, although sadly flunitrazepam can't be prescribed here, I'd like to compare the two at least a couple of times [on myself obviously]) whenever I want it, lest I actually DO want it and need something by way of glue made for holding shattered nerves together :autism:

I haven't actually taken any this week, for example, never mind the 10mg as twice daily that the docs tell me I should take. And which I WOULD get a vicious bastard of a physical dependency, and a dangerous one too, if I obeyed those directions blindly for more than a few days at a time, which is as long as I'm willing to use benzos for, a few days at a time. Better to have options when the shit hits the fan, and not need to use them, than need to use them and have no options. No?

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2018, 04:29:04 PM »
Most people shit in holes. Its the quality of the hole thats important, and whether its attached to a sewerage system. Or whether its used by some dirty, sweaty arab :P

I'm just going to pretend you know what I'm talking about.  :zoinks:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
I'll take your word for that gopher boy, all that practice must have made you quite talented at that  :autism:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2018, 06:44:26 PM »
I'll take your word for that gopher boy, all that practice must have made you quite talented at that  :autism:

Yeah, I'm just going to pretend I know what you're talking about too.  :zoinks:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »
Not very well then, because I meant you, 'yeh buck-toothed troglodytic rodentiform chewer of fungusy old woodchips :spazz:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2018, 07:11:12 PM »
Speak Engrish.  :zoinks:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »
Both of youse guys:

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?  THE SHADOW KNOWS.

(When radio programs ruled.)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2018, 02:39:08 AM »
Who's "we"?

Us all. Much medication is merely burying the real problems and dulling the senses.

We wouldn't be depressed if we weren't all dulled to the eyeballs.

It would be nice if one-line solutions did work. Alas, they don't.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein