Author Topic: "We need new ways of treating depression"  (Read 2070 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: "We need new ways of treating depression"
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »
:dunno:

I've noticed a tendency of peopke saying the're depressed when they may be sad.  Not sure what the magical timeline or intensity is between the two.

At least half of the young adults on Reddit seem to "have depression and anxiety," and I don't know
whether they all have clinical depression and frequent panic attacks, or are just generically sad and worried.
Which makes me sound like an old grouch putting down the younger generation, but still I question it.   :dunno:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 05:42:08 PM »
The differences between the two are probably probably duration, intensity and frequency. 

While I am sad about PA's death I don't feel depressed.  There are some things that I look back on and have deep regrets.

The best advice I gave myself after he died was that whatever I was feeling at that time was what I should be feeling.  Sadness, happiness, anger, whatever - it was where I needed to be.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 10:36:49 PM »
I think a lot of people also just get stuck.

They know what they're lacking, they know the reason they're depressed, they mourn the life that they lost and they know what could make them feel better.

But there is no obtainable solution, either because they lack support, time, or the resources to pull themselves out of the corner they're in.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 11:37:28 PM »
Exactly who is supposed to be responsible for metaphorically getting these people a cow?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 01:31:35 AM »
Exactly who is supposed to be responsible for metaphorically getting these people a cow?

Metaphorically, society. The one that is currently prescribing pills.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 01:32:51 AM »
:dunno:

I've noticed a tendency of peopke saying the're depressed when they may be sad.  Not sure what the magical timeline or intensity is between the two.

You can be sad without being depressed and you can be depressed without feeling sad about anything specific. People often misunderstand the difference between the two.

But as the article suggests, it might be difficult to actually draw the line.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 02:11:31 AM »
There isn't necessarily a line as such.

Sadness is an emotion. You can be very sad without being depressed.

Depression is a state of mind. Or an illness. Often described as the common cold of mental illness.

It's a bit like how having bad hayfever/allergies feels similar to having a cold. But having a cold is not about intensity or duration of hayfever symptoms.

An example of depression could be SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder. People with SAD aren't sad because they miss the sun, in fact they may not be sad about anything at all. The change in weather and light levels affects their state of mind.

I worked on a project once with a team of people who had been flown halfway around the world to a place where they had no friends or family, paid well, and stuck in a room with lots of work to do, 7 days a week for 10 or 12 hours per day.... oddly enough, everyone eventually got depressed, even though nobody had any particular reason to be sad. I remember at the time saying "this is a recipe for making people depressed".

This idea that depression is just being intensely sad for a long time is a common misconception that can make life more difficult for depressed people.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 02:25:22 AM »

The cow is back. Rejoice, all intensians.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 06:32:44 AM »
There isn't necessarily a line as such.

I realise that.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 06:33:04 AM »

:woohoo:

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 06:55:09 AM »
A very interesting article, and I can't find anything I disagree with.

But it does make me wonder about conditions like OCD, where sertraline is effective. Is OCD really about a chemical problem in the brain or just the one case where the meds actually do work?
I'm much more inclined to believe most (or many, anyway) cases of OCD are chemical (if they're correctly dx'ed, which it sounds like yours was), than most cases of depression.  That's just based on my own observation, though, so no science behind it.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »

Metaphorically, society. The one that is currently prescribing pills.
So then doctors? Society isn't very exact; it does imply the general public should pick up the tab, which is all well and good.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 06:57:17 PM »

Jack feels better already.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 11:29:15 PM »
The point is that we live in a society that is lousy at helping people to be less depressed.

So bad, in fact, that we have people who are supposed to be professionals at helping people to recover from or deal with depression. And, in most cases, the treatment is limited to drugging the depressed person with a substance that, in most cases, doesn't work very well at all.

The point isn't "who is going to pay for the free cows?".

The point is that we need to recognise that other cultures are way better at helping depressed members of their society than ours is. And that kind of sucks. And we need to get better, and to recognise that we aren't really fixing depression with pills anywhere near as effectively as we think we are.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline mdagli1

• Constant Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 01:45:03 AM »

Yup. Society wants you dead. The anxiety and depression is true, it's the truth. Quit fighting for a life that you can't have. Because let's face it, only you are to blame for yourself. Let the shame of being yourself rip you in half and maybe one day, just for once you actually achieve to do something about it. Being dead is one thing but pretending to be alive? Fuck off and fuck you for even trying.

Look after yourself, peeps. Because in the end, you can't and that's funny.