Politics, Mature and taboo > Political Pundits

In Interviews With 122 Rapists, Student Pursues Not-So-Simple Question: Why?

<< < (3/47) > >>

Walkie:

--- Quote from: Al Swearengen on December 19, 2017, 05:52:53 AM ---

If you (not you, you, but anyone) look at a fellow human and on the basis of some immutable part of them, see a monster, that is an internal failing.

--- End quote ---

In many cases, it's also (and even primarily) a societal failing that can be usefully adressed by counter-propaganda etc. 

--- Quote ---. If you dehumanise and mistreat and torture,  a fellow human, you do not get to wipe your hands clean with a - that is how I was raised.
--- End quote ---

There is a difference between a reason and an excuse. Some reasons also serve as excuses, some don't.  Looking at the reasons behind people's behaviour is not about providing nor accepting excuses; no more than the mechanic in a garage is looking to excuse a car for it's failings.  It's about being pro-active. It's about taking responsibilty, rather than just moaning about the evils of human nature.

Al Swearegen:

--- Quote from: Walkie on December 19, 2017, 06:28:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: Al Swearengen on December 19, 2017, 05:52:53 AM ---

If you (not you, you, but anyone) look at a fellow human and on the basis of some immutable part of them, see a monster, that is an internal failing.

--- End quote ---

In many cases, it's also (and even primarily) a societal failing that can be usefully adressed by counter-propaganda etc. 

--- Quote ---. If you dehumanise and mistreat and torture,  a fellow human, you do not get to wipe your hands clean with a - that is how I was raised.
--- End quote ---

There is a difference between a reason and an excuse. Some reasons also serve as excuses, some don't.  Looking at the reasons behind people's behaviour is not about providing nor accepting excuses; no more than the mechanic in a garage is looking to excuse a car for it's failings.  It's about being pro-active. It's about taking responsibilty, rather than just moaning about the evils of human nature.

--- End quote ---

""No one told me it was not a good thing to tear the heads off babies and strangle children, now that I know I have all the compassion in the world for both babies and children. It was all a misunderstanding and I have been educated now.""

I say this straight faced in my prison cell.

I seem to show remorse and am being honest. Based on this reason or excuse what do you make of this and do you use this to form an opinion that I am merely a product of ill-education and societal indifference or lack of value in small children and babies? Perhaps I could moan about being unloved or having a rough childhood. Maybe that could pad the theory that I was misguided and did not appreciate the value of children?

Me? I would say that this is simply a sociopathic remorsely monster telling you what I thought you wanted to hear and that I was simply a dehumanising monster.

Lestat:
'one died in prison, in suspicious circumstances'

Oh, isn't that just awful. Such a tragic, piteous, rotten loss to the world. I hope it was as slow, painful and vicious as it most likely was, stuck in a little metal box packed to bursting with the vilest, most thuggish, scum of the earth vicious-like-a-ferret little noxious cunts...they'd likely have quite a long time to do what it is that kind of vermin does to rapist filth too, before any screws came along.

As for the understanding, studying etc. My stance on it is yes, do try to understand the motivations, using studies written by known to be female questioners, known to be male ones, and ones generated by computer. Study the results, but don't give any of the little fuckers any credit as being reformed based on the results, for the exact reasons that yes, they are likely to be self-serving for just that, yes, they are likely to go and do it again, and yes, they are fucking animals for the most part that deserve every karmic kick in the face that ever comes their way.

But psychological vivisection of the creatures in question is, IMO a good idea. Just because you study the filthy things doesn't mean you need to forgive or to justify them. Just examine the psychology and do what can be done to reduce the incidence of rape.

Walkie:

--- Quote from: Al Swearengen on December 19, 2017, 06:48:57 AM ---

I seem to show remorse and am being honest. Based on this reason or excuse what do you make of this and do you use this to form an opinion that I am merely a product of ill-education and societal indifference
--- End quote ---

Did you actuallly read the article?  Of the 122 men, only one showed any remorse. So nobody's basing any conclusions on that.  But, hang on, remorse and honesty are neither reasons nor excuses are they, Al? Heck,  I don't know why I'm bothering to argue with you.  You're obviously  completely talking out of your ass.

--- Quote ---Me? I would say that this is simply a sociopathic remorsely monster telling you what I thought you wanted to hear and that I was simply a dehumanising monste
--- End quote ---

intersting point.  Actually,  to turn your argument around, (to fit the observed facts) the fact they didn't pretend to be remorseful argues againsst them being sociopathic. Hmm .  And , no, that's not want I want to hear.  That is scary.

Al Swearegen:

--- Quote from: Walkie on December 19, 2017, 02:45:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: Al Swearengen on December 19, 2017, 06:48:57 AM ---

I seem to show remorse and am being honest. Based on this reason or excuse what do you make of this and do you use this to form an opinion that I am merely a product of ill-education and societal indifference
--- End quote ---

Did you actuallly read the article?  Of the 122 men, only one showed any remorse. So nobody's basing any conclusions on that.  But, hang on, remorse and honesty are neither reasons nor excuses are they, Al? Heck,  I don't know why I'm bothering to argue with you.  You're obviously  completely talking out of your ass.

--- Quote ---Me? I would say that this is simply a sociopathic remorsely monster telling you what I thought you wanted to hear and that I was simply a dehumanising monste
--- End quote ---

intersting point.  Actually,  to turn your argument around, (to fit the observed facts) the fact they didn't pretend to be remorseful argues againsst them being sociopathic. Hmm .  And , no, that's not want I want to hear.  That is scary.

--- End quote ---

The poor me is just as bad.

"Poor me, I was put into a terrible situation and made a bad choice. How was I to know that it was wrong to physically abuse someone. Who would have thought struggling and crying was not consent? I needed to be educated against this and no one pointed out what a human in anguish and pain looks like, how was I to know? It's society's fault. Poor me"

Psychologist jots down "Society's fault. Poorly educated"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version