Start here > Free For ALL

Trump

<< < (36/36)

Al Swearegen:

--- Quote from: odeon on December 18, 2017, 12:37:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: Al Swearengen on December 17, 2017, 05:38:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: odeon on December 17, 2017, 02:28:13 AM ---Which allegations are you talking about? Assange? You know perfectly well what happened.

--- End quote ---

Yes, Assange said he had sex with some women and some women said he sexually assaulted them AND that is all ANYONE knows EXCEPT Assange ad the women who have made the accusations AND anyone pretending to know more than this is an idiot. I think that necessarily includes FourAce but I think they are the only one on this board making such statement based on a dislike for Assange and a stupidity that plagues them.

--- End quote ---

You missed the point. This is what happened:

--- Quote from: Minister of silly walks on December 17, 2017, 06:37:37 AM ---More to the point: Assange was accused of raping a woman and,rather than facing those accusations, he went and hid in an embassy for more than 5 years.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You missed the point of what happened. The US made it clear that they wanted to extradite him from UK or Sweden to the US first opportunity he had. He was and as far as I know, still is shit scared of being extradited to the US the moment he leaves his Embassy safe hole.

He tried to get assurances that he would not be picked up and flown to the US the moment he stepped out or right after any trial in Sweden and the US made it very clear the moment he was out of the safety of the Equatorial Embassy he was fair game.

odeon:

--- Quote from: Al Swearengen on December 18, 2017, 02:54:43 AM ---
--- Quote from: odeon on December 17, 2017, 02:28:13 AM ---Which allegations are you talking about? Assange? You know perfectly well what happened.

--- End quote ---

Yes, Assange said he had sex with some women and some women said he sexually assaulted them AND that is all ANYONE knows EXCEPT Assange ad the women who have made the accusations AND anyone pretending to know more than this is an idiot. I think that necessarily includes FourAce but I think they are the only one on this board making such statement based on a dislike for Assange and a stupidity that plagues them.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Minister of silly walks on December 17, 2017, 06:37:37 AM ---More to the point: Assange was accused of raping a woman and,rather than facing those accusations, he went and hid in an embassy for more than 5 years.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You missed the point of what happened. The US made it clear that they wanted to extradite him from UK or Sweden to the US first opportunity he had. He was and as far as I know, still is shit scared of being extradited to the US the moment he leaves his Embassy safe hole.

He tried to get assurances that he would not be picked up and flown to the US the moment he stepped out or right after any trial in Sweden and the US made it very clear the moment he was out of the safety of the Equatorial Embassy he was fair game.

--- End quote ---

Except that wasn't how it happened.

At the time of the Ecuadorian Embassy thing starting in 2012, the US had said no such thing. Yes, Assange refused to return to Sweden on those grounds, asking Sweden for assurances, but Sweden simply said that they had had no such request from the US and weren't able to offer generic assurances, only that they would follow Swedish Law. Among other things, that law makes it clear that an extradition request would be denied if he risked the death penalty. Or, for that matter, if he risked not getting a fair trial.

Remember that he fled to the embassy because the UK agreed to turn him over to the Swedish authorities for questioning. No such request had been made by the US at the time and the UK said as much. Also, the US did confirm that Assange was not wanted by them.

Interestingly, Assange wanted to stay in Sweden at the time of the alleged rape. Apparently he then considered Sweden a safe haven. Sweden said no the following year, stating that he did not meet the criteria. Go figure.

Al Swearegen:

--- Quote from: odeon on December 19, 2017, 12:37:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: Al Swearengen on December 18, 2017, 02:54:43 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Except that wasn't how it happened.

At the time of the Ecuadorian Embassy thing starting in 2012, the US had said no such thing. Yes, Assange refused to return to Sweden on those grounds, asking Sweden for assurances, but Sweden simply said that they had had no such request from the US and weren't able to offer generic assurances, only that they would follow Swedish Law. Among other things, that law makes it clear that an extradition request would be denied if he risked the death penalty. Or, for that matter, if he risked not getting a fair trial.

Remember that he fled to the embassy because the UK agreed to turn him over to the Swedish authorities for questioning. No such request had been made by the US at the time and the UK said as much. Also, the US did confirm that Assange was not wanted by them.

Interestingly, Assange wanted to stay in Sweden at the time of the alleged rape. Apparently he then considered Sweden a safe haven. Sweden said no the following year, stating that he did not meet the criteria. Go figure.

--- End quote ---

And now that Sweden has dropped the charges he ISN'T coming out of the Embassy for reasons that seem unconnected to Sweden

odeon:
Yes, it seems that way. I suppose it is part of the territory in his line of work. He has made lots of enemies and I'd be surprised if the US didn't want to get hold of him now.

For the record, I think Sweden handled this poorly. They should have agreed to interviewing him at the embassy to start with. It would have been easier for everyone involved.

I still don't know what to think about the case as such.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version