Educational

Author Topic: Life hacks thread!  (Read 493 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Life hacks thread!
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 04:49:11 PM »
:laugh:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »
In the summer, fill a "hot water bottle" with cold water. Use as you would a hot water bottle, under the feet or between the thighs. It REALLY cools you down.

When catching a spider with a tissue, put a blob of skin cream in it so the spider gets trapped and can't escape very easily.
:dog:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »
No thats not a good idea justcurious, not at all. Its quite likely to clog the spiracles the spider breathes through and suffocate it to death. Just allow the wee beastie to run up onto your hand and then off again elsewhere, transferring hand to hand (and up arm back to hand as and when required of course)

For highly dangerous species, catch them in containers, and the likes of ones that aren't exactly extremely dangerous but that have a fucking nasty bite, like black widows, a jar would do, that said, unless you fuck with their webs when they have young, they aren't too aggressive anyway. Widows are gentle spiders unless your sized suitably to be on the menu and don't tend to bite unless provoked. But having been bitten by a brown widow, the bite is excruciating. Especially the day after, feels you got run over by a bus. A bus dragging a big sack of broken bricks.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
Are spiders your special interest? I hate them. I usually get other people to handle spiders as I'm a wuss. I screech every time I have to get rid of a ladybird too. After having about 100 of them hide in my window (between the added sliding windows and the originals) I'm a bit scared of them.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »
No, they aren't. But for the most part you have little to fear from spiders. Many aren't disposed to bite people, plenty are too small for effective venom delivery and almost all of them would rather run away from confrontation, and preferentially, avoid it altogether.  There are isolated cases like the brazilian wandering spiders (Phoneutria), which are potentially lethal and in the case of Phoneutria spp. they have a serious attitude problem, to the extent I've read about someone trying to squash one with a broom, and the spider sprinting up the broom intent , presumably, given their nature, of venting it's spleen and lodging a pair of formal complaints within the owner of said broom. So to speak. But they aren't wild in n.america. Do have one hell of a temper though, going from what I've heard from those who've had them as pets. Furious is how they were described, and lightening quick. Not one I'd pick as a pet given the danger of the bite and difficulty keeping them . But most spiders really are a good thing, if you can get used to them, and if not, then treat them with respect rather than killing them. Although I figure the face cream thing wasn't intended that way. They hunt down and kill lots of far nastier, more pestiferous critters that would otherwise try and get into our food, transmit diseases etc. Better a few spiders than mosquitos and flies coming to the dinner table who's last meal was served on a dog turd plate, on a dog turd table, and featured...erm....would you believe me if I said a light, fruity  crisp red wine with steak and chips? (before it had fallen to the floor and passed through a family dog, however) :P

And ladybirds are no threat either, the worst they are capable of is exuding nasty smelling haemolymph, which they do as a defensive measure when threatened. Or giving a slight nip, possibly with their jaws, since they are predatory (on aphids usually, the larvae especially are voraceous greenfly/blackfly exterminators ) but again, this iis MOST unlikely ever to come to pass, since they really are not aggressive at all and would only bite if say, pressed on whilst already wandering over exposed skin, so again, the answer is to respect their territory and leave them unmolested. They are doing you a favour by ridding you of all manner of pests and sources of disease.         

Not a special interest though, the comment about brown and black widows and their temperament, comes from having had them as pets. Although pets that were murrdered.

They, and hundreds of baby widow spiders died because of deliberate malice, directed at me, by the fucking filth, when they again raided my place hoping to find something to pin on me (they failed)

I warned the pigs that there were my pets, where the y were to avoid them getting knocked over. one of my female widow spiders had just laid 2 egg sacks recently to the event., and the fucking murdering bastards came and trashed the place. When I got back, despite making it quite clear exactly what and where they were, and that they were pets. I returned to find every single one of them dead, hundreds of babies, their mother, and the other adult widows. Even the other egg sack was gone.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 10:34:35 AM »
No, they aren't. But for the most part you have little to fear from spiders. Many aren't disposed to bite people, plenty are too small for effective venom delivery and almost all of them would rather run away from confrontation, and preferentially, avoid it altogether.  There are isolated cases like the brazilian wandering spiders (Phoneutria), which are potentially lethal and in the case of Phoneutria spp. they have a serious attitude problem, to the extent I've read about someone trying to squash one with a broom, and the spider sprinting up the broom intent , presumably, given their nature, of venting it's spleen and lodging a pair of formal complaints within the owner of said broom. So to speak. But they aren't wild in n.america. Do have one hell of a temper though, going from what I've heard from those who've had them as pets. Furious is how they were described, and lightening quick. Not one I'd pick as a pet given the danger of the bite and difficulty keeping them . But most spiders really are a good thing, if you can get used to them, and if not, then treat them with respect rather than killing them. Although I figure the face cream thing wasn't intended that way. They hunt down and kill lots of far nastier, more pestiferous critters that would otherwise try and get into our food, transmit diseases etc. Better a few spiders than mosquitos and flies coming to the dinner table who's last meal was served on a dog turd plate, on a dog turd table, and featured...erm....would you believe me if I said a light, fruity  crisp red wine with steak and chips? (before it had fallen to the floor and passed through a family dog, however) :P

:laugh:

And ladybirds are no threat either, the worst they are capable of is exuding nasty smelling haemolymph, which they do as a defensive measure when threatened. Or giving a slight nip, possibly with their jaws, since they are predatory (on aphids usually, the larvae especially are voraceous greenfly/blackfly exterminators ) but again, this iis MOST unlikely ever to come to pass, since they really are not aggressive at all and would only bite if say, pressed on whilst already wandering over exposed skin, so again, the answer is to respect their territory and leave them unmolested. They are doing you a favour by ridding you of all manner of pests and sources of disease.         

Not a special interest though, the comment about brown and black widows and their temperament, comes from having had them as pets. Although pets that were murrdered.

They, and hundreds of baby widow spiders died because of deliberate malice, directed at me, by the fucking filth, when they again raided my place hoping to find something to pin on me (they failed)

I warned the pigs that there were my pets, where the y were to avoid them getting knocked over. one of my female widow spiders had just laid 2 egg sacks recently to the event., and the fucking murdering bastards came and trashed the place. When I got back, despite making it quite clear exactly what and where they were, and that they were pets. I returned to find every single one of them dead, hundreds of babies, their mother, and the other adult widows. Even the other egg sack was gone.

Well, the explanations doesn't help me overcome my fear of spiders or ladybirds, but thanks for trying, I think it would take more than that. Scared of wasps too, once saw one just under 2 inches long in my bathroom in my old flat. It looked evil. Not sure if I mentioned that before here or not. Not sure if it was a hornet or queen wasp.

That's awful what the police did, killing your pets. I don't suppose reporting the police would've have done much good at all. If it were someone else I'd think of reporting them to the RSPCA...having said that, do their services extend to insects?

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
Hornets are generally of a reddish tint, and have a V-shaped marking around the back of the thorax. Average wasps don't get that big, so chances are it was a hornet, especially if it had that coloration. Can't say as I've ever seen a queen wasp of other species.

They leave the nest come winter, as the other wasps die off do they not?

wondering that, because there is a HUGE wasp nest up in the loft, and I don't wish to take it down and cut it open if the queen still requires it. The others are likely all dead now, I've got a big pile of dead wasps, awaiting dissection under the microscope and extraction of the venom glands, for some practice doing electrophoresis, separating the different enzymes and toxins found within the venom and testing for activity against predicted substrates. Assuming the the enzymatic fraction of the wasp venom will have surviived dessication of the wasps.

I just don't know if the queen moves on and founds a new nest before the onset of winter, or after, because whilst I'll collect the dead wasps for processing, if the queen is hibernating or something I don't wish to  destroy or damage the nest, and even more so if there are a few grubs overwintering that will be needed for her to found a new one. Thing is a most impressive work, I've sectioned open a smaller, definitely dead nest, containing just a few cells, around the size of say, a satsuma orange, but this is maybe a couple of feet in diameter, at least, the parts I can see.

For a while it was raining wasps as winter approached, over my old man's bed as it happened, and he got stung quite a few times after rolling over a dead but fresh, dying or just low on energy wasp in his bed.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »
In the summer, fill a "hot water bottle" with cold water. Use as you would a hot water bottle, under the feet or between the thighs. It REALLY cools you down.

When catching a spider with a tissue, put a blob of skin cream in it so the spider gets trapped and can't escape very easily.
py uses a water bottle to cool her tablet.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »

I guess as long as it doesn't block the vents...I dunno, wouldn't condensation form? But then, I'm thinking of a water bottle without the cover. I guess you would just use it with a cover for a laptop. I'm surprised a tablet could get hot.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »

Yes, have done that. Have done the cooling of feet, ankles, wrists, head and neck too
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
I guess as long as it doesn't block the vents...I dunno, wouldn't condensation form? But then, I'm thinking of a water bottle without the cover. I guess you would just use it with a cover for a laptop. I'm surprised a tablet could get hot.

This is an old brick of a MotionComputing drawing tablet. It's starting to die because it's full of dust (and no good way to get it open and clean it) and the fans run extra high. The vents are on the sides, none on the bottom, which is covered with a rubber protective coating. It was originally designed to be used outdoors on construction sites, in medical settings, etc, so it's very sturdy. It runs Windows XP. It has the fine detail of a pressure sensitive drawing surface though, which makes it very good for mobile digital sketching.

The water bottle didn't create condensation because it wasn't that cold, and it's very dry here anyway.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »
Couldn't you try using a vacuum cleaner to suck out any shite from the vents, whilst the tablet itself is turned off?