Educational

Author Topic: Theories on Autistic Savants?  (Read 767 times)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Theories on Autistic Savants?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 06:45:07 AM »
Yeah, well until the DSM makes an nonbullshit way to diagnose people low functioning means people like flo or worse.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 06:46:38 AM by Nomaken »
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

thepeaguy

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 06:56:27 AM »
Yeah, well until the DSM makes an nonbullshit way to diagnose people low functioning means people like flo or worse.

Not really. I've read about the "low-functioners" who's abilities surpass those with Asperger's Syndrome, the less-disabled stereotype.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 07:10:15 AM »
Well I don't know what sources you've been reading from, you might have been reading about savants, or about bullshit but low functioning pretty much by definition refers to people who have severe social deficiencies.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:13:55 AM by Nomaken »

thepeaguy

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 07:20:55 AM »
Well I don't know what sources you've been reading from, you might have been reading about savants, or about bullshit but low functioning pretty much by definition refers to people who have severe social deficiencies.

Severe social deficiencies is pretty much a universal thing. Just look at the chavs happy-slapping some random person, and you've pretty much got your proof on that. Or the drug addict lashing out because he/she can't get his/her's last fix.

It's funny how these people are not liable to be exterminated off the face of the earth, unlike autistics.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:25:47 AM by thepeaguy »

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 07:27:32 AM »
No, it isn't.  Plenty of people bitch about not being a good conversationalist, or a witty person, but enough of the time for them to not bitch about it normal people seem to be able to tell when someone else is being sarcastic or not.  And most people(apparently) can read each others emotions with excellent clarity.  And most people are not only capable of filling free space in and out of specific social situations with innane chatter(small talk), they seem to be most inclined to want to do that.  Too much meaningful conversation bothers them.

Just because somebody is an asshole or has lead a nasty life doesn't mean they lack these skills, or that they are hard for them, they just don't use them as much or choose to use them differently.

thepeaguy

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 07:52:42 AM »
No, it isn't.  Plenty of people bitch about not being a good conversationalist, or a witty person, but enough of the time for them to not bitch about it normal people seem to be able to tell when someone else is being sarcastic or not.  And most people(apparently) can read each others emotions with excellent clarity.  And most people are not only capable of filling free space in and out of specific social situations with innane chatter(small talk), they seem to be most inclined to want to do that.  Too much meaningful conversation bothers them.

Just because somebody is an asshole or has lead a nasty life doesn't mean they lack these skills, or that they are hard for them, they just don't use them as much or choose to use them differently.

See, people can add an extra dimension towards those that aren't autistic, but it when it comes to autistics themselves we're too one-dimensional to even be classed as human. Had a bad day at work? Autism. Sad? Autism. Not very social? Autism. Marriage not working? The guy has to be suffering from AS.

Easy targets for an already fucked-up society.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 08:03:15 AM by thepeaguy »

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »
odeon, where is the popcorn?
Misunderstood.

thepeaguy

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 08:56:09 AM »

He's not passing any because you're on a fucking diet.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 08:58:52 AM »

He's not passing any because you're on a fucking diet.

i should be.
Misunderstood.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 05:28:17 PM »
Look, I think your pissdom is misplaced.  I KNOW that the spectrum is bullshit.  They're going to keep identifying new "disorders" until the entire human race is some psychological disorder, and then hopefully they'll realize that minds are not types of things, they exist as part of one giant spectrum or parts of many spectrums yet to be named, or in some form of description even more varied and rich.  But for fucking CONVENIENCE's sake, low functioning autism still means extreme social skill deficits and NT's social skills are so much more advanced and EASY for them, that compared to LFA's they are savants.