Educational

Author Topic: Let's Have Another Argument about Islam  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: Let's Have Another Argument about Islam
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2016, 06:54:54 PM »
This conversation has me wondering if it's common for Mexican people to gripe about the US stealing their honest hard-working citizens and sending back the criminals. Probably. Might have to ask someone.

Certainly they could say that. I would not take it as a literal comment though. Someone saying that would likely be not saving that the US ACTUALLY stole or took them, but rather that whilst US benefited from the hard labour Ramon the pool boy or Conseula the maid they send back Enrique the gangbanger.

The larger point about how illegal immigration may adversely affect Mexico could be discussed. Of course an obvious counter would be that Enrique is unlikely to have sent money home to Mexici whereas Conseula and ramon do and so do millions of other, to the tune of $28 billion a year.

This would certainly open dialogue. So long as there were not too many rabid ideologues trying to shut down the conversationwith calls of bigotry.

I think it would be a conversation worth having.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2016, 11:53:23 PM »
I would not take it as a literal comment though.
Definitely not; it was just a funny thought, just like funny to think about the US and Mexican governments playing pingpong with criminals. Certainly there must be some nationalistic Mexicans though who might view those living in the US as some type of traitor, and fault the US for luring the capable. Similar to Americans who spout they're stealing our jobs, and thus Mexicans equally spouting they're stealing our workers. :laugh: Looked it up and they do indeed exist; good for them.

The larger point about how illegal immigration may adversely affect Mexico could be discussed. Of course an obvious counter would be that Enrique is unlikely to have sent money home to Mexici whereas Conseula and ramon do and so do millions of other, to the tune of $28 billion a year.
28 billion is definitely a big number, but when considering it against the Mexican economy as a whole, it only amounts to about 2% of their GDP, so would assume Mexico would be fine without the US dollars sent home by immigrants. Also, when one takes that 28 billion and divides it by the number of Mexican immigrants in the US, it equates to about 2,300 per person each year. The average income of what is considered the Mexican middle class is about 20,000 USD per year, so the typical person sending money to Mexico is likely only helping to increase their family's standard of living by 10-20%. The Mexican economy has improved in the last decade, and that could partially be equated to the recession in the US. During the height of the recession from 07-09, more immigrants returned to Mexico than migrated to the US, and Mexico is no longer the top origin country among the most recent US immigrants. The Mexican unemployment rate is similar to the US, so it could be easily argued that US immigrants sending money to Mexico would be more beneficial to the Mexican economy if they were living and working in it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:02:35 AM by Jack »

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2016, 01:08:27 AM »
I would not take it as a literal comment though.
Definitely not; it was just a funny thought, just like funny to think about the US and Mexican governments playing pingpong with criminals. Certainly there must be some nationalistic Mexicans though who might view those living in the US as some type of traitor, and fault the US for luring the capable. Similar to Americans who spout they're stealing our jobs, and thus Mexicans equally spouting they're stealing our workers. :laugh: Looked it up and they do indeed exist; good for them.

28 billion is definitely a big number, but when considering it against the Mexican economy as a whole, it only amounts to about 2% of their GDP, so would assume Mexico would be fine without the US dollars sent home by immigrants. Also, when one takes that 28 billion and divides it by the number of Mexican immigrants in the US, it equates to about 2,300 per person each year. The average income of what is considered the Mexican middle class is about 20,000 USD per year, so the typical person sending money to Mexico is likely only helping to increase their family's standard of living by 10-20%. The Mexican economy has improved in the last decade, and that could partially be equated to the recession in the US. During the height of the recession from 07-09, more immigrants returned to Mexico than migrated to the US, and Mexico is no longer the top origin country among the most recent US immigrants. The Mexican unemployment rate is similar to the US, so it could be easily argued that US immigrants sending money to Mexico would be more beneficial to the Mexican economy if they were living and working in it.

Would certainly help Trump in his efforts to get rid of illegal immigrants by limiting their ability to send money hone, thereby reducing tge amount of money leaving the US therefore Mexico "pays for tge wal" and some illegal immigrants may decide in straw that broke the camel's back" fashion to go back to Mexico.

I think that would be great for his narrative, possibly less so for his agenda (I do think his  concern is the criminal element in the illegal immigrant population). I do not know whether it would be an economic plus or minus.

There is another thing too. Illegal immigrants are not one collective homogeneous grouping.. Whilst the Democrats like to trot out the best case examples of illegal immigrants and their families as either victim or sensational successes and Trump points out the worst of them, I'd imagine most fall somewhere in between.

I think some will bludge and some will work their arses off, some will put into the economy and some take out and some will be criminals and some will be saints.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 01:13:14 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2016, 07:38:39 PM »
Would certainly help Trump in his efforts to get rid of illegal immigrants by limiting their ability to send money hone,
The patriot act already did that years ago. Limiting any further would infringe on the rights of citizens and people in the country legally.

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #199 on: December 10, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »
But now it's in your toilet.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2016, 09:04:36 PM »

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #202 on: December 14, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
Grey area, I skipped along a few videos in that collection you linked to after the first you posted when I'd finished watching that.

This is hilarious, and for a scripturesturbator himself the narrator makes some good points. Backed up with some illustrations that I'm pretty sure there are going to be legions of rabid, bearded weaselly little pig-haters spraying spittle from their mouths and waving their prize beheading knives in fury at :D

Whats the betting that saudi arabia, pakistan, and somalia are not too high up on his xmas holiday travel itinerary:P
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
This conversation has me wondering if it's common for Mexican people to gripe about the US stealing their honest hard-working citizens and sending back the criminals. Probably. Might have to ask someone.

Mexico needs to stop allowing cartels to murder their honest hardworking citizens, then maybe they wouldn't want to come here.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:32:35 PM by Cleocatra »
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »

Mexico needs to stop allowing cartels to murder their honest hardworking citizens, then maybe they wouldn't want to come here.
While they're the majority of immigrants overall, Mexicans are no longer the largest group of incoming immigrants because their economy has improved.

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
Somehow I don't think the cartels give a tinkers turd what people want them to do, if it conflicts with their agendas. Only way to do anything about them is with military force. Or perhaps the threat of a committed military response if they don't start to keep their slaughtering in-house. That is, to say, ensuring no civilian collateral damage.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.