Author Topic: Why don't Europeans appreciate pick-up trucks??  (Read 1526 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Why don't Europeans appreciate pick-up trucks??
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:03 AM »
In Europe our roads have things called "corners" and pickups handle like the shopping cart with a stuck wheel.

QFT
The US by comparison doesn't have a lack of winding roads, so it's not a sensible reasoning.

:M
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 01:21:53 AM »
In Europe our roads have things called "corners" and pickups handle like the shopping cart with a stuck wheel.

QFT
The US by comparison doesn't have a lack of winding roads, so it's not a sensible reasoning.

Typical odious response. When he's shown to be full of shit, he responds with haughtiness.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 04:23:18 AM »
Vans are high, you can stand up straight in them. They are narrow enough to fit in a regular parking space. Their interiors are most of the time customer made. With shelves on the side. The vans can be accessed from the back and the side. They are often like a neatly organised workspace with the benefiet of extra space for transporting big materials. Stuff that is too big gets transported on a trailer behind the van.
All my brothers have a van. All have very different interiors, because their equipment is so different.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:25:00 AM by 'andersom' »
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 05:00:24 AM »

QFT

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 05:30:23 AM »
Vans are high, you can stand up straight in them. They are narrow enough to fit in a regular parking space. Their interiors are most of the time customer made. With shelves on the side. The vans can be accessed from the back and the side. They are often like a neatly organised workspace with the benefiet of extra space for transporting big materials. Stuff that is too big gets transported on a trailer behind the van.
All my brothers have a van. All have very different interiors, because their equipment is so different.
Vans are definitely the more sensible choice for some workers. Though what about regular passenger vehicles? People buy cars out of necessity, but they're still an emotional purchase. That's why vehicles are designed and marketed to trigger those emotions, and many vehicles often say something about the person who drives them, practical, safe, conservative, adventurous, reckless, luxurious, classy, powerful, rugged, and so on. Because of the emotion aspect of car ownership, many people own vehicles with attributes they might not necessarily need. A lot of truck owners could probably give good reasons why a truck is the more sensible choice of vehicle for them personally, but a lot of them also don't really need a truck. They have one because they want one, and it's an interesting question to ask why Europeans don't want them. The video previously linked made me wonder if trucks in general are viewed similar to the way lifted trucks are sometimes viewed in the US. What do truck in Europe say about the person who drives them?

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 06:50:51 AM »
Vans are definitely the more sensible choice for some workers. Though what about regular passenger vehicles? People buy cars out of necessity, but they're still an emotional purchase. That's why vehicles are designed and marketed to trigger those emotions, and many vehicles often say something about the person who drives them, practical, safe, conservative, adventurous, reckless, luxurious, classy, powerful, rugged, and so on. Because of the emotion aspect of car ownership, many people own vehicles with attributes they might not necessarily need. A lot of truck owners could probably give good reasons why a truck is the more sensible choice of vehicle for them personally, but a lot of them also don't really need a truck. They have one because they want one, and it's an interesting question to ask why Europeans don't want them. The video previously linked made me wonder if trucks in general are viewed similar to the way lifted trucks are sometimes viewed in the US. What do truck in Europe say about the person who drives them?

Mostly it says "I murder prostitutes".
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
4 by 4s here are looked down upon by a lot of people. Especially if there's a woman behind the wheel, they tend to be viewed as aggressive. Cars here are generally small, though there's a fair amount of smallish 4 by 4s used by women. A lot of women drive them, especially on school runs.

I call the smaller cars that have been around for a while, the ones without the edges and are more rounded - bubble cars, cos they look like the shape of bubbles to me. Nobody else calls them that. It's like how I call that so-called "mobile phone" building in London a popcorn box. It doesn't look remotely like a mobile phone to me, and it doesn't look like a popcorn box to anyone else.

My mum and her manfriend really look down with disgust on 4 by 4s, and Hummers. Cars like Hummers are really uncommon here. I've only ever seen one twice.
:dog:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
^

That brings back memories.

A cafe/lunchroom in a town I used to live was in the hands of two ladies driving a 4 by 4. Both with faces like leather, both in colour and structure, because of use of a solar bank. Peroxide blond, very slim, big boobs, wearing very tight tigerprints in natural colours or pink and purple.

They served awesome coffee. With a chagrin attitude, but the quality of their products made everything OK.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 11:55:15 AM »

QFT

Typical odious response. When he's shown to be full of shit, he responds with haughtiness.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »

QFT

Bahahahaha
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »
My dad has a yellow ford truck from 1993 that he refers to as Gertrude. Of course "Gertrude" seems like an inside joke right now.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 04:29:16 PM »
Mostly it says "I murder prostitutes".

4 by 4s here are looked down upon by a lot of people. Especially if there's a woman behind the wheel, they tend to be viewed as aggressive.

Thanks.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 04:56:57 PM »
I don't care for trucks. They are useful though. My parents never owned a truck. My uncle did and they would borrow his to move things.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
Foresters will drive a 4 by 4. In my country there are hardly unpaved roads left. So a 4 by 4 is not necessary for most people. If they want to transport stuff, they'll either have a van or a trailer.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2017, 05:27:54 PM »
I liked my truck and my jeep because I didn't have to pay much attention to curbs.  :zoinks:
:gopher: