Educational

Author Topic: Let's Have Another Argument about Islam  (Read 5154 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Let's Have Another Argument about Islam
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2016, 02:42:39 PM »
Benji is being Benji

I think I enjoy Benji's take on it the best. He's got this interesting approach that comes across like, Great Defender of Muslims!! Just Not in My Country!! It's like reading a conundrum personified, and I like that. :lol1:

He'd be an awesome schizophrenic.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2016, 03:19:27 PM »
But yeah, right now  I think is a waste of time , because certain people (notably Odeon) are just gonna skim read it , then instantly revert to whatever notion  they had  before I posted. That's not communication is it?

And this you know, how? Because I disagree with you or because I think Al is a dimwit?

I know a fair bit about Islam. Call it an obsession of sorts, call it whatever you want, but the fact is that I've read up on it over time, not because I'm about to convert (I'd probably pick Catholicism for reasons outlined elsewhere if I'd have any reason to seriously consider the existence of a higher being) but because various facets of it have interested me at one time or another. Did you ever read the Quran or the Hadith (or rather, their translations)? I did. Did you ever look into why some Muslims might object when somebody images the Prophet, or who's actually done it in the past? I did. Or did you ever study maths or astronomy from an historical point of view and discover exactly how much we owe to them? I did.

Nowhere in this thread have I felt the need to use any of it. This one is not so much a discussion about Islam as it is an exercise in legitimising Islamophobia. It's not an exercise in understanding, it's an exercise in condemning.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
Odeon simply cannot see past his ideological filter. Use the word Muslim or Islam in ANY other way but a fawning praise and his blinders are on and he cannot see what you are saying no matter how neutral. He is looking to interpret it into the worst connotation he can so he can feel morally superior in confirming his own biases and shouting you down.

Sure its dishonest and and ironically immoral and it lends nothing to the conversation, but that is not his goal. His goal is purely the warm feeling up his leg when he believes he defends Muslims and to that end truth is irrelevant. He will convince himself that everyone but him is wrong. So, he is a base liar, intellectually dishonest and morally flawed.

I think you use a filter whenever you read my posts, these days. Everything I say you interpret in whatever way you can think of that you think will insult me the most. Interestingly, many descriptions you got from me describing some of your replies to Zegh.

I think that speaks volumes of your butthurt, your inability to accept criticism.

...and this is where you will once again deny and deflect:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2016, 05:24:12 PM »
But yeah, right now  I think is a waste of time , because certain people (notably Odeon) are just gonna skim read it , then instantly revert to whatever notion  they had  before I posted. That's not communication is it?

And this you know, how? Because I disagree with you or because I think Al is a dimwit?

No, i surely wouldn't expect anybody to agree with me all the time. It's because you project opinions onto me, based purely on the point-of-the-moment, disregarding any context i've already supplied elsewhere. And...but this isn't an exercise in Odeon -bashing, it really isn't'

I know a fair bit about Islam. Call it an obsession of sorts, call it whatever you want, but the fact is that I've read up on it over time, not because I'm about to convert (I'd probably pick Catholicism for reasons outlined elsewhere if I'd have any reason to seriously consider the existence of a higher being) but because various facets of it have interested me at one time or another. Did you ever read the Quran or the Hadith (or rather, their translations)? I did.

I know, because we discussed it before, and I clearly recall what you said, Not that I recall every discussion on this board in every detail (I don't have that sort of memory     )but because I found that one particularly interesting. You've evidently forgotten my response, which was yes I've read the Quran, but not the Hadith (though have taken an interest in various discussions about them) . I didn't mention it, but I've also read quite a lot of Sufi literature (as that interests me rather more. if   I converted to any branch Islam , i'd surely  convert to Sufism; though really, the chances I'll convert to any religion are pretty slim).  I've also looked into Muslim traditions  such as fatwa (which seems pretty  civilised , actually)  in an effort to understand what's going wrong.  I'd rather hoped to pick your brains a bit there, since you do have extensive knowledge of Islam; but if you won't wear the notion that things are going pear-shaped, then I can't find a way to phrase the kind of questions I wanted to ask.

Did you ever look into why some Muslims might object when somebody images the Prophet, or who's actually done it in the past? I did. Or did you ever study maths or astronomy from an historical point of view and discover exactly how much we owe to them? I did.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.  I'm pretty sure  i even said that Christians were  the ignorant, marauding savages (or words to that effect)  at one time. But Christianity is not above reproach is it? In most parts of the world,  we are free to say what the helck we we like against  Christianity, Jesus, and his  various earthly representatives. Conversely, rather too many Muslims feel free to say that Christians (as well as moderate Muslims who wish Christians a happy Christmas. Especially those ) deserve to die, whilst bitterly complaining if other folk go so far as harmlessly mocking Islam. I see no point in discussing that turnaround if we're ruling out the hypothesis that doctrine plays  some part in justifying the excesses of both populations; especially not on the simplistic grounds that one is as bad as the other, given the right circumstance.  We'd have to (at very least) compare a number  radically different religions such as Hinduism and   Buddism,  and see if their superficial appearance of being more easy-going  and peaceful than the "People of the Book" holds water?

That's something I don't know, so I'm very much open to being educated there.

At present, it's my opinion that some religions are more dangerous than others, largely  due to their authoritarian nature, .i.e, insistence on absolute faith, and obedience. I'd say that most Christian sects are more dangerous than most Muslim sects from that P.O.V., so that clearly isn't the whole story. That opinion isn;'t inflexible. I've been considering these issues, and refining my ideas,  for 40 years; that's just a statement of my curent perspective; and derives as much from my study of Psychology as it does from my study of religion; plus personal experience of actual people , ofc (It's pretty silly  to study people in the abstact, without checking your theories against the real thing)

I wouldn't acuse anyone else of being "prejudiced"   or "stupid" however if their view was rather more simplistic than mine. we all have our  "thing", after all. And there is too much information in the world for us to process it all. What people think  is largely  conditioned by where their attention is directed , isn't it? We all live in very different worlds from each other, because we all absorb different information sets, according to circumstance and personal interest.  In particular, i don't find Al stupid, just because he disagrees with me about a lot of things (more often than you do, in fact )  And I don't find you stupid either, just too quick to dismiss other people's POV , or maybe simply too quick, period?

Nowhere in this thread have I felt the need to use any of it. This one is not so much a discussion about Islam as it is an exercise in legitimising Islamophobia. It's not an exercise in understanding, it's an exercise in condemning.

...in your opinion.  I would suggest that you have a rather narrow definition of " Islamophobia" .  i.e. , anything that's critical of Islam; and I'm sure you'd dismiss the thoughts of some of the Muslims of my aquaintaince  on those exact same grounds...unless you knew they were Muslims? Though maybe you would say that they are not "true Muslims" if they are critical of Islam? And you might, indeed be right.  But those people  are nonetheless part of the Muslim community, and pay lip service to Islam, (maybe mostly because they'd rather not be disowned by their families)

Fear of Islam  surely exists. But if people had some other phobia , say arachnophobia , would you call them rude names  them for that, and tell them to shut up about it, for fear of "legitimisng" their fear?  well, maybe you would, but that wouldn't work as therapy.

At present, In Britain, it's not so very long since you couldn't mock Christianity without Christians getting offended all over the place and saying that it shouldn't be allowed (that's well within living memory)   We have same thing with Islam now, don't we?  So we can't pretend to be superior , but still, we're just as determined to cling to our rights as before.  I note that you agreed that the freedom to mock is important , Odeon. But the freedom to ask if this religion might be dangerous (or some Muslim sects might be dangerous. And oppressive) is taking that freedom  too far? And why? Because you already reached a conclusion? And you believe that every other notion is stupid.  People will only feel oppressed, or marginalised if you tell them what to think, won't they ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:35:05 PM by Walkie »

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2016, 05:34:57 PM »

I know a fair bit about Islam. Call it an obsession of sorts, call it whatever you want, but the fact is that I've read up on it over time, not because I'm about to convert (I'd probably pick Catholicism for reasons outlined elsewhere if I'd have any reason to seriously consider the existence of a higher being) but because various facets of it have interested me at one time or another. Did you ever read the Quran or the Hadith (or rather, their translations)? I did. Did you ever look into why some Muslims might object when somebody images the Prophet, or who's actually done it in the past? I did. Or did you ever study maths or astronomy from an historical point of view and discover exactly how much we owe to them? I did.

No it isn't. We do not fear Islam. Nor do we fear Muslims. You still do not get that, after it has been repeated over and over.
We do NOT like radical Muslim extremists and not liking them is NOT Islamophobia. Its not. Only someone who is really, really stupid, would not get that point by now.

Why don't you?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »
Odeon simply cannot see past his ideological filter. Use the word Muslim or Islam in ANY other way but a fawning praise and his blinders are on and he cannot see what you are saying no matter how neutral. He is looking to interpret it into the worst connotation he can so he can feel morally superior in confirming his own biases and shouting you down.

Sure its dishonest and and ironically immoral and it lends nothing to the conversation, but that is not his goal. His goal is purely the warm feeling up his leg when he believes he defends Muslims and to that end truth is irrelevant. He will convince himself that everyone but him is wrong. So, he is a base liar, intellectually dishonest and morally flawed.

I think you use a filter whenever you read my posts, these days. Everything I say you interpret in whatever way you can think of that you think will insult me the most. Interestingly, many descriptions you got from me describing some of your replies to Zegh.

I think that speaks volumes of your butthurt, your inability to accept criticism.

...and this is where you will once again deny and deflect:

You have been told over and over NOT JUST by myself, but by others that you are not correct. So it is hardly my filter. The subject matter seems to be the same. You go into defence mode whenever anyone discusses Islam or Muslims either individually or specific groups of Muslims or generally. It does not matter. If it is not in glowing terms you climb up your moral soapbox.

As for me being butthurt? By what now? It is a charge you have made consistently over the last 6 months at least. It seems a little disingenuous. Someone being butthurt generally is used to describe someone "triggered" and very upset over something. It tends to be an event or a situational type thing. Making that claim a minute after an event, a day, a week is all perfectly fine. More than six months in you have worn out the strands of credulity. Maybe try a different tact.

I am not deflecting and I generally don't I tend to answer whatever charges made and in a blunt and longwinded fashion, as is my want. So its again very disingenuous of you to cite that I would deflect and as for me denying....You are not stupid enough to believe I would agree to lies about me? I do not intend to start even to placate your fragile ego. Jackass.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »
There's been an obsession with Islam since 2001.  Even EDL types seem to have read parts of the Quran.  All stemed by the bullshit that we were attacked by just radical Islam because they hated our freedom.
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2016, 06:23:20 PM »
Oh! Al, you really don't make a lot of sense, on occasion.   But, then  I've noticed that those times when you're not making sense are the same  times when your struggle with dyslexia is most evident (And not only in the finished product. I've noticed you tidy up your posts after posting, sometimes. I do the same! ) So you get extra Brownie points from me for fighting  against some kind of  handicap (presumably) even when you're coming through crystal clear. I should think it costs you extra effort (as compared with some other members) to completely overcome it, as you often do.   And I just shrug off the senseless bits.

I hope you're not offended by my saying so? I'm dyslexic as well, after all. And I know I sometimes say senseless things, too , when my brain starts misfiring (I do hope that's mostly confined to whilst  I'm talking myself  :LOL: Yeah, i do a lot of that,  cos I need to rehearse things in my head  before I commit them to the page or soundwaves.  I'd talk a load of half-baked gibberish, or just deliver a big perplexed silence , otherwise)

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2016, 06:42:13 PM »
There's been an obsession with Islam since 2001.  Even EDL types seem to have read parts of the Quran.  All stemed by the bullshit that we were attacked by just radical Islam because they hated our freedom.

I sould think that EDL types who've read parts of the Quran were probably looking for ammunition. I should think that people who've read the whole thing (as I did, and long before 2001)  were genuinely  trying to get an Islamic persective . My own main motivation was a general  interest in comparative religion. I've read the Bible too (including the really tedious bits) numerous Buddhist texts, expositions on Christan Gnoticism , Jehova's Witness tracts ,  etc.

In any case, i wouldn't knock people for trying to educate themselves rather than base their opinion on assumptions.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2016, 09:49:34 PM »
My thoughts on Islam

One problem with Islam , I feel, is that this pefect man, beloved of God, Mohammed was also a jihadist who converted people at the point of a sword, and who  married a 7-year-old  girl . That must make an  argument to the effect  that a "true Muslim" is a Jihadist paedophile pretty persuasive  , IMO. *wince *

Of course thise things were entirely normal in Mohammed's time, and not only in the Middle East.    Indeed , He was  enlightened in many respects,   and exerted a civilising influence on his followers. If we lived back in Mohamnmed's time, the chances are we would have done worse things than he did.

Luckily for we Westerners, Jesus of Nazereth , the "only begotten son of God" (as most Christan sects have it)  did nothing that offends our modern sensibilities  (or at least, it wasn't recorded  if he did) . I shudder to think what kind of atrocities Christians would commit, in his name , if Jesus had done anything outrageous.  There have been enough Christian atrocities  already, without that kind of encouragement.

At least Mohammed was not begotten by God. Muslims find that very idea sacrilegious.

(The following based on my understanding of fatwa , which is admittedly thin, so correct me if wrong ) Fortunately for Islam, any individual Imam is fee to interpret  the Moslem scriptures according to his own judgement, within certain , fairly  harmless  strictures ,  And his fatwa (his judgement on a given question ) isn't binding. If you don't like what he  says, you are free to go find another Imam , and get as many second opinions as you like. Sounds good to me...but then again that would also mean that some nutter who felt that God was telling him to kill the infidel,  could find a cleric who supported that view , if he only looked around for long enough . In the age of the Internet, that would likely be easy.  I do wonder if that might be  factor in increased Muslim aggression in recent years ? Access to the internet . (That's not to deny other factors)

One thing I  really like abput Islam  is lack of hierarchical structure, and that it's relatively short on creed. That should make it relatively  easy for Islam to evolve into more "modern" forms, shouldn't it?  But I can't help wondering if this thing that i admire might be part of the problem, in effect?    I surely don't want to think that, but  Idon't expect the truth to always be comfortable

I'm not putting the above  forward as an opinion, just an hypothesis. But I wouldn't rule it out,  lightly. (because I  don't lightly  rule out any hypothesis, on any subject  whatsoever, that's just how I am.  And the more important the suject, the more I try to remain open-minded.)

Anyway, the above is what I mean (or part of what I mean) when i say that Islamic ideology might be part of the problem, rather than purely incidental , as some assert. 

I'm not sure I would ever be willing to make any definite  assertion either way. But I would be willing to act on my best educated guess, if some kind of action (or inaction) were called for. Wouldn't we all? I don't believe in Absolute Truth , as such. I believe  that the best the human mind can manage is a series of ever-closer approximations   to reality.   And given the limitations of our god-given (or nature-given) hardware , I don't imagine that woulld ever amount to  a very near approximation. We don't get to be absolutely right about anything at all , but we do get to make decisions  , so we'd  better give everything our best, our most sincere shot, and be willing to find out that we were wrong.   Being wrong is just a natural, human state of affairs , nothing to be ashamed of, nor to fear.

I'm sure my analysis above misses loads of relevant observations. I know what some of them are (but I don't want to write an encyclop[edia) , and there are surely loads of things I don't know too, maybe things that will totally sway my opinion when somebody points them out. 

In any case, there's much more than just ideology going on in anybody's mind, I know i know, and maybe ideology is the least compelling factor?  If I put the spotlight on Islamic Ideology, and ignore the rest, for the moment, that's not to deny the rest, just that I  wouldn't try to say everything at once, cos that's impossible. (I don't believe I felt the need to explain that. It's stating the obvious , isn't it? )

Of course various military operations, by Western powers,  in the Middle East might be sufficient to explain present-day Muslim aggression against the West.  Maybe it might even explain Muslim aggression against other Muslim factions. But it doesn't follow that it has to be that simple and straightforward, does it?    More to the point,  I don't see how that explains the really backward  practices of some Muslim people  such as forced marriage and  female genital mutilation. You have to turn to Sociology and/or religious ideology  to try to explain that sort of thing; and I don't really think you can seperate those two .  Organised religion, in general,  looks to me rather more like a social force than a spiritual force   (whatever that means) ; you can't blame social forces, yet  absolve religion , not in that light;   And you can't rationally blame individual people, either way. Why do people keep accusing other people of that? What percentage of  us are really that stupid?

I don't even see the point in assigning blame, as such.  That's a meaningless comncept, IMO. when i look at problemn like that , I'm always wondering: what needs to be changed to make things come out better?  Not that I have the chance to change things ion any significant scale, if at all, but I do fel it;'s best to develop a habit of  thinking  constructively, nonetheless, and my experience is that solutions emerge (if they emerge at all) from accurate definitions of problems, so that's what I attempt to do, first and foremost.   Again , i'm stating the obvious, aren't I? Sorry. But sometimes it somehow seems like the obvious needs stating, after all.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:54:06 PM by Walkie »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »
In most parts of the world,  we are free to say what the helck we we like against  Christianity, Jesus, and his  various earthly representatives. Conversely, rather too many Muslims feel free to say that Christians (as well as moderate Muslims who wish Christians a happy Christmas. Especially those ) deserve to die, whilst bitterly complaining if other folk go so far as harmlessly mocking Islam.

It sort of makes sense to me. I don't think saying that Christians deserve to die, and also saying that Islam shouldn't be mocked, is hypocritical behavior. Laughter takes the piss out of anger. It looks the same on a simple level between two arguing humans, and as a theme of a philosophical conflict.

I think you're onto something about how it used to be that way with Christianity and taking its symbols in vain (Marilyn Manson comes to mind, as one of many). Now Christianity is less of an integral part of Western mainstream culture than it was a couple decades ago, or even a century. Interestingly, the more devout Christians have become more segregated, both in social circles and geographically. Look at the geographical distributions of red (Republican) vs blue (Democratic) states in 1900, vs 1988, vs this past election. It's dramatically different, and not just urban vs rural.

It would be interesting to see a map of Islamic areas on a scale of moderate to extreme. Would it be a question of large areas, even whole countries, showing as extreme as the north/south political divide in the USA in 1900, or would there be scattered dense pockets of extremism, or would it be the moderate communities that were scattered into dense pockets?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2016, 07:45:47 AM »
Am not sure what's supposed to be conveyed about Christians by those maps. The 1900 map makes sense because the whole north/south political divide of the times. Below are maps of the three elections following the 1988 one posted above.

Here's a map of the 1992 democrat winning election.

This is a map of the 1996 democrat winning election.

This is a map of the 2000 republican winning election.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:00:02 AM by Jack »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2016, 04:56:01 PM »

No, i surely wouldn't expect anybody to agree with me all the time. It's because you project opinions onto me, based purely on the point-of-the-moment, disregarding any context i've already supplied elsewhere. And...but this isn't an exercise in Odeon -bashing, it really isn't'

If I missed a context I should have been aware of, I apologise--I don't read everything here, and I don't always read them in a suitable order.

I could say that for Al, it's exactly what it is. Pick just about any thread, including this one.

I know a fair bit about Islam. Call it an obsession of sorts, call it whatever you want, but the fact is that I've read up on it over time, not because I'm about to convert (I'd probably pick Catholicism for reasons outlined elsewhere if I'd have any reason to seriously consider the existence of a higher being) but because various facets of it have interested me at one time or another. Did you ever read the Quran or the Hadith (or rather, their translations)? I did.

I know, because we discussed it before, and I clearly recall what you said,

Honestly, while I remember the discussions, I don't always remember who participated. Sorry about that, too. :-[

Not that I recall every discussion on this board in every detail (I don't have that sort of memory     )but because I found that one particularly interesting. You've evidently forgotten my response, which was yes I've read the Quran, but not the Hadith (though have taken an interest in various discussions about them) .

I have a vague recollection of it. You should read it. The two are rather different from one another.

I didn't mention it, but I've also read quite a lot of Sufi literature (as that interests me rather more. if   I converted to any branch Islam , i'd surely  convert to Sufism; though really, the chances I'll convert to any religion are pretty slim). 

Why, if I may ask?

I've also looked into Muslim traditions  such as fatwa (which seems pretty  civilised , actually)  in an effort to understand what's going wrong. 

So is Jihad, but it depends so much on the Imam, and if I were to point at a problem, that's where I would start.

I'd rather hoped to pick your brains a bit there, since you do have extensive knowledge of Islam; but if you won't wear the notion that things are going pear-shaped, then I can't find a way to phrase the kind of questions I wanted to ask.

I don't think it's the religion itself but rather some of its branches. Look at the contexts in which groups like ISIS/Daesh or Boko Haram can thrive. They depend on an authoritarian model, one where an Imam will have influence far beyond prayer. Pretty sure I posted about this sort of thing some time ago.

The religion as such is no worse or better than Christianity. They have a lot in common but Christianity *as a religion* is far less dominant among its followers today, likely because of our relative advances in science, technology, and so on. The opposite could easily have been true if some things had ended differently.

Did you ever look into why some Muslims might object when somebody images the Prophet, or who's actually done it in the past? I did. Or did you ever study maths or astronomy from an historical point of view and discover exactly how much we owe to them? I did.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.  I'm pretty sure  i even said that Christians were  the ignorant, marauding savages (or words to that effect)  at one time. But Christianity is not above reproach is it?

Of course not, but when comparing the two religions, some take the rather simplistic view that since we (meaning Christians in name if not in actual beliefs) accept Jesus being caricaturised, they should accept the same happening to the Prophet.

And while I'd defend Charlie Hebdo's right to do it, I don't think the comparison is fair at all. It's about if you always should just because you can; while it may be your right to step up to Mike Tyson and tell him, to his face, that he is ugly, it is probably not the wisest move you can make. Freedom of speech won't help you much when they patch your face together again.

In most parts of the world,  we are free to say what the helck we we like against  Christianity, Jesus, and his  various earthly representatives.

Yes, but to no small part because most of us aren't very religious OR have that kind of tradition. And still, do you remember the debates caused by Life of Brian some 35 years ago? Norway, of all countries, banned it. It's not that long ago. Go back a few more decades and things were very different.

Conversely, rather too many Muslims feel free to say that Christians (as well as moderate Muslims who wish Christians a happy Christmas. Especially those ) deserve to die, whilst bitterly complaining if other folk go so far as harmlessly mocking Islam. I see no point in discussing that turnaround if we're ruling out the hypothesis that doctrine plays  some part in justifying the excesses of both populations; especially not on the simplistic grounds that one is as bad as the other, given the right circumstance.  We'd have to (at very least) compare a number  radically different religions such as Hinduism and   Buddism,  and see if their superficial appearance of being more easy-going  and peaceful than the "People of the Book" holds water?

That's something I don't know, so I'm very much open to being educated there.

I've been thinking about learning Sanskrit, actually, because of that whole literary tradition associated with Hinduism, but I never seem to have the time.

Many people claim Buddhism to be the only world religion to never start a war but that's probably not entirely true--Sri Lanka comes to mind--but I don't know enough about it.

At present, it's my opinion that some religions are more dangerous than others, largely  due to their authoritarian nature, .i.e, insistence on absolute faith, and obedience. I'd say that most Christian sects are more dangerous than most Muslim sects from that P.O.V., so that clearly isn't the whole story.

But is it the religion or the leaders? The same religion that urges us to turn the other cheek proposes some pretty horrific things elsewhere in the same book. It's the religion that brought us the Inquisition and only recently, close to 400 years after the fact, admitted that this Galileo fellow may have been somewhat unjustly treated. I'm betting that most people didn't as much as notice and wouldn't have cared if they had.

And only last week did the Pope authorise his priests to forgive an abortion--conditionally, of course--after a trial run of a year.

Islam is no different but I would say that their context and timing both are.

That opinion isn;'t inflexible. I've been considering these issues, and refining my ideas,  for 40 years; that's just a statement of my curent perspective; and derives as much from my study of Psychology as it does from my study of religion; plus personal experience of actual people , ofc (It's pretty silly  to study people in the abstact, without checking your theories against the real thing)

I wouldn't acuse anyone else of being "prejudiced"   or "stupid" however if their view was rather more simplistic than mine. we all have our  "thing", after all. And there is too much information in the world for us to process it all. What people think  is largely  conditioned by where their attention is directed , isn't it? We all live in very different worlds from each other, because we all absorb different information sets, according to circumstance and personal interest.  In particular, i don't find Al stupid, just because he disagrees with me about a lot of things (more often than you do, in fact )  And I don't find you stupid either, just too quick to dismiss other people's POV , or maybe simply too quick, period?

Maybe. ;)

But you do know that whatever it's between me and Al (or Benji) has little to do with this, right? I don't call them stupid because they disagree with me.

...in your opinion.  I would suggest that you have a rather narrow definition of " Islamophobia" .  i.e. , anything that's critical of Islam; and I'm sure you'd dismiss the thoughts of some of the Muslims of my aquaintaince  on those exact same grounds...unless you knew they were Muslims?

Maybe, maybe not, but we probably won't ever find out how I'd react. You're free to have your theories, of course, but the likelihood is that I'd be silent.

I don't define Islamophobia as "anything critical of Islam", no. I do define it as extremely bigoted and Islamophobic to support Trump's Muslim ban at the US borders or his Muslim register, however. In my book, if you support a bigot's bigoted views you are a bigot. End of.

That's the kind of thing I am talking about. The kind about assigning blame.

Though maybe you would say that they are not "true Muslims" if they are critical of Islam? And you might, indeed be right.  But those people  are nonetheless part of the Muslim community, and pay lip service to Islam, (maybe mostly because they'd rather not be disowned by their families)

Why are you speculating about what I might say?

Fear of Islam  surely exists. But if people had some other phobia , say arachnophobia , would you call them rude names  them for that, and tell them to shut up about it, for fear of "legitimisng" their fear?  well, maybe you would, but that wouldn't work as therapy.

At present, In Britain, it's not so very long since you couldn't mock Christianity without Christians getting offended all over the place and saying that it shouldn't be allowed (that's well within living memory)   We have same thing with Islam now, don't we?  So we can't pretend to be superior , but still, we're just as determined to cling to our rights as before.  I note that you agreed that the freedom to mock is important , Odeon. But the freedom to ask if this religion might be dangerous (or some Muslim sects might be dangerous. And oppressive) is taking that freedom  too far?

No, it's not. You have every right to think so, just as I have every right to disagree. I think, and I tend to state this rather strongly, that it's not the religion, it's the people. Yes, sects. That's where things can get authoritarian, when only a few have the power to interpret the writings.

(The classic example here is that like most people, I haven't actually read the Quran, I have read a translation of it. If you want to read the real thing, you need to not only learn a language and a writing system, but also make sure you have the cultural and historical context. That's where things tend to get dangerous.)

And why? Because you already reached a conclusion? And you believe that every other notion is stupid.  People will only feel oppressed, or marginalised if you tell them what to think, won't they ?

It is their right to disagree with anything and everything I say, and call me whatever they want, just as it is mine. But I don't think I've been calling everyone stupid, have I? Al, yes. Benji, yes. Others?

- Albert Einstein

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
Walkie and Al.  You should watch this

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »
You absolutely call me stupid for not having the same view as you. In your mind you have the "right views". That impenetrable viewpoint is not something that ought to be encouraged.

As for whether a freeze on Muslim immigration is bigoted, it depends entirely on the reasoning and not just the effects. I have made the case for this not being a xenophobic desire (ie IF very real and practical vetting procedures are fixed and people can get identified, then this would not hold up immigration on these grounds) and that the danger expressed is an ACTUAL danger, HAS been qualified and quantified, NEEDS upgrading, that there is NO OTHER way of EFFECTIVELY dealing with the issue, and that this says nothing terrible of Muslims as a whole but rather it is a national Security and Border Protection problem in their midst.

Proof of what I say actually comes from YOU funny enough. When it is put to you that there IS an actual problem and that the vetting problems are proved not to be able to be able to identify the people that they are letting in AND that the intelligence services of the country KNOW for a fact that the refugees coming in will be infused with ISIS and other radicalised Muslim Extremists..... (and all of this is known) what do YOU say with the question "If the refugee Muslims cannot be identified and the Muslim radical Extremists cannot be identified and vetted in that group coming in AND we do not know the numbers or intent of those radical Muslim Extremists, apart from "Just let them in" What ELSE do you propose?"

If you are stupid and ideologically blinded enough to say both Nothing OR degrees of there is no  real danger OR But you cannot, not let them in because their welfare is more important that the well-being of the citizens who will be potentially taking on whatever threat is slipped in, with that intake, then you lose.

Your position in any one of the above cases is immoral and impractical and illogical.

The counter to your position is practical, logical and NOT bigoted.

A bigoted position would be "We do not like this brown skinned people. They can't make America Great Again. All Muslims are bad. Let's ban them on a whim." That is not what is happening and only an idiot would fine difficulties distinguishing an ACTUAL bigoted position from a position that is not. THAT is precisely where you are failing.

Its because you are stupid.

As I keep mentioning. We get boatpeople coming to Australia all the time and we ban them from the mainland and put them in detention centres until we work out who they are, where they are from and what threat they represent. Now our Prime Minister has said IF you sneak in without coming through the normal channels you have no pathway to citizenship. You will be deported.

National Security and Border Protection. Has not stopped us allowing immigrants to make Australia their home but they cannot sneak in without us knowing who they are or where they are coming from.

It is not black and white.