Educational

Author Topic: A very British thread  (Read 1852 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: A very British thread
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2019, 11:49:36 PM »
20+ hours is less than I would have thought.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2019, 02:31:22 AM »
Singapore Airlines is the quickest, 22 hours 40 minutes.

Considering that even 6 or 7 hours feels like forever to me squished into an economy class seat, that is not exactly huge fun.

I've only done the return flight to London or Western Europe 3 times. If I can scrape together enough money for a family holiday I might have one more return flight left in me.

I've flown from Sydney to Washington DC a couple of times as well. That's 20 hours. If I can ever afford that holiday I think we'll do the full loop, Sydney to London, then the US, then back to Sydney over the Pacific.

Christchurch to London is even worse, 28 hours is the quickest flight. Apparently it's about the same distance flying West or East from NZ.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2019, 05:17:13 AM »
From here to DC is anything from 12 hours and up, even though it's much closer than what you'd have to face. The stopovers do it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2019, 03:53:30 PM »
Apparently, there's a difference between British and American style apple fritters.

The difference is that the American style chops the apples into small pieces where the British style uses large slices.

I can't find any donut shops or bakeries around here that do a British style fritter.

Could one of you Britons try one out and tell me what they're like?

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »
We do them the same way here but it's not all that common. Pineapple fritters are more common here and sometimes a fish and chip will have them for sale. Along with battered savs and potato scallops. You are more likely to find them for sale in small seaside town an hour or two up or down the coast.

The biggest difference with British apple fritters that you will notice is that British apples are not sweet. They are very sour by your standards or mine.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2019, 03:25:39 AM »
Used to be able to get banana fritters from Red Rooster in their Hawaiian packs. Sadly, not any more.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2019, 04:10:00 AM »
I was just thinking that banana fritters are almost unheard of now. My wife makes them sometimes but they are more Asian style.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2019, 04:15:45 AM »
Once I went camping and someone there slit a banana down the middle, stuffed it with milk chocolate pieces, wrapped it in aluminium foil and put it on the campfire to cook. I was lucky enough to have one of these, omg delicious.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2019, 08:36:36 AM »
The 1984 World's Fair here had a pastry kiosk that served a banana split eclair.  It was to die for.  Banana sliced lengthwise, custard, chocolate, starawberry and pineapple jams, and 3 cherries on top in a choux dough "boat."
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
Once I went camping and someone there slit a banana down the middle, stuffed it with milk chocolate pieces, wrapped it in aluminium foil and put it on the campfire to cook. I was lucky enough to have one of these, omg delicious.
Banana and Nutella jaffles are great too. Sounds like a similar flavour combo.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2019, 07:06:56 PM »
The 1984 World's Fair here had a pastry kiosk that served a banana split eclair.  It was to die for.  Banana sliced lengthwise, custard, chocolate, starawberry and pineapple jams, and 3 cherries on top in a choux dough "boat."
That sounds excellent. Is pineapple jam widely available there? Here I've only seen it in Indonesian grocery stores.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »
That sounds excellent. Is pineapple jam widely available there? Here I've only seen it in Indonesian grocery stores.

There's usually a small selection at most groceries.  A local preserves company (BAMA) used to make some.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: