Author Topic: Silly Childhood Fears  (Read 598 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Silly Childhood Fears
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:58 AM »
The fear of the "bullebak" (Kind of bogeyman that lived in waters) made some sort of sense.
My grandmother used to threaten us with that, there was a lot of open water around, where she lived, and, two of her sisters had drowned as babies.

Her kids, she had taught them to swim and keep afloat asap.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
These aren't childhood fears as much as they are silly things my grandmother told me.  She was quite a character.

My grandmother told me that coffee would stunt my growth, but I still wanted it anyway and she still gave it to me, but mixed with lots of milk.  I still like my coffee with lots of cream.

I had freckles on my face and I didn't like them.  My grandmother told me that I could get rid of them if I rubbed cow poop on my face, but I preferred freckles on my face to cow poop on it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 04:54:02 PM »
 I got all the  it will stunt your growth ones too on coffee, tobacco, alcohol.  I was also infused with all the food and germ fears you could imagine due to my grandfather being a health inspector some real some not.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 06:10:31 PM »
My mum got told her freckles would disappear, if she washed them with gasoline.

Lets say it did nothing beneficial to her skin, but nothing too harmful either.

My grandmother, as a toddler, was given petroleum as a medicine for asthma, because of some 'lore'. That did do her harm.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 10:37:01 AM »
  I used to bring my childhood sandwiches to school wrapped in tinfoil inside my lunchbox.  :tinfoil:
  One day I thought I might have eaten a tiny speck of foil by accident, and I was worried it would hurt me.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 02:03:40 PM »
Clowns and jack in the boxes disturbed me greatly and still do to some extent
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 02:11:59 PM »
Clowns and jack in the boxes disturbed me greatly and still do to some extent

I've heard of clown phobia, I guess clowns + surprise = jack-in-the-box!  :cuckoo:

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 02:13:45 PM »
When I was really small (three or four years old) my neighbour took me for a little ride on his motorbike. My little finger got caught in one of the handles and turned completely black and blue.

After a while the colours changed to somewhat brownish hues. I was absolutely certain that my little finger was rotting away and would soon fall off with gooey effects. Never told my parents about my fear, because I just did not tell them stuff that scared or bothered me.

So, I dreaded it all on my own. And for a long time after I would look in wonder at my right pinkie, that it had become so beautiful and pink again. To me it was a miracle.
 :laugh:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »
When I was really small (three or four years old) my neighbour took me for a little ride on his motorbike. My little finger got caught in one of the handles and turned completely black and blue.

After a while the colours changed to somewhat brownish hues. I was absolutely certain that my little finger was rotting away and would soon fall off with gooey effects. Never told my parents about my fear, because I just did not tell them stuff that scared or bothered me.

So, I dreaded it all on my own. And for a long time after I would look in wonder at my right pinkie, that it had become so beautiful and pink again. To me it was a miracle.

Stoic little calf.  :hug:  Why didn't you tell them?

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »

I just didn't. Did not tell them when a teacher treated me unjust in primary school, even when it went on for weeks. Did not tell them about stuff like that in secondary school either. Think I thought I had to be tough and go through it all on my own.
 :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 02:53:32 AM »
I used to worry about volcanoes when I was a kid, never mind that we actually didn't have any in the country. I also worried about rabies at one point, but that was probably the very first instance of my OCD talking.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 04:29:35 AM »

I just didn't. Did not tell them when a teacher treated me unjust in primary school, even when it went on for weeks. Did not tell them about stuff like that in secondary school either. Think I thought I had to be tough and go through it all on my own.
 :dunno:
I was like that too. I saw a school psychologist for a year when I was in Year 9 at school. Mum didn't find out until my assessment for autism when I was 27.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 04:51:54 AM »
Magpies. Still have those fears.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 06:00:00 AM »
I used to worry about volcanoes when I was a kid, never mind that we actually didn't have any in the country. I also worried about rabies at one point, but that was probably the very first instance of my OCD talking.

I had a period of OCD-type intrusive thoughts as a child.  I wish I could remember whether this period
  coincided with one of my many strep throats, as strep has been suggested as a cause of childhood-onset
  OCD.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PANDAS   Whatever the trigger, that brief period was unpleasant.  :tinfoil:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:59:45 PM by couldbecousin »

People forget.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 07:30:20 AM »
Bees.
When I was a kid I picked up a bunch of ant eggs and brought them home. I put them under my pillow and dreamed they hatched into bees that came after me.

Not afraid of bees anymore, but go figure - as an adult I carry an epi-pen because I am allergic to the stings. I've been stung twice. The first time there was just swelling. The second time the EMTs tried to convince me to go to the hospital. They told me I should get the epi-pen.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher