Author Topic: Stuff that makes you ridiculously happy.  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Stuff that makes you ridiculously happy.
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2017, 08:16:44 PM »
The PR is over the moon! Her name was drawn from the hat and she is to be QUEEN of her therapy group's Mardi Gras parade! 

Before you get too excited, I'm sure it's just the clients marching around the block.  But she does get to wear a tiara.   :clap:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
Wow! Going to look like the Princess Royal she is. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2017, 09:44:47 PM »
The PR is over the moon! Her name was drawn from the hat and she is to be QUEEN of her therapy group's Mardi Gras parade! 

Before you get too excited, I'm sure it's just the clients marching around the block.  But she does get to wear a tiara.   :clap:

:woohoo:
:gopher:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2017, 12:55:45 AM »
congrats to the pr

my orchid bloomed. not over the moon, but very happy.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2017, 07:06:15 AM »
NICE!

On a similar, but far less complicated note, I have managed to force a pot of white Easter lilies over the past few months. They are not yet open, but still very showy with all the blooms yet to open soon. Some of the upper ones are over four inches long, still closed.
 :thumbup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2017, 12:43:10 AM »
NICE!

On a similar, but far less complicated note, I have managed to force a pot of white Easter lilies over the past few months. They are not yet open, but still very showy with all the blooms yet to open soon. Some of the upper ones are over four inches long, still closed.
Post a picture when they open, DirtDawg? They sound nice.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2017, 01:38:35 AM »
here is a pic of the orchid
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2017, 04:35:34 AM »
Not a big fan of orchids, but that one is really pretty. :)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »

The orchid is gorgeous.  How long will the flower last?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »
  Judee Sill's music makes me so happy.  :)
  I love the sound of her harmonizing with herself
  on this track.  It's like a whole band of Judees! 

"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2017, 07:53:08 PM »

Beautiful!!

Mine is still in bloom as well, it put up a runner before I noticed it and could stake it on the 2nd shelf of my stand and is crooked as hell though.

It's pink also, but a lighter shade, about 3 yrs old? now, the leaves are huuuge. Out of the other 2 one bloomed around Thanksgiving...the other I had to repot and it wasn't in good shape when I brought it home. It's holding it's own, but I don't expect it to bloom for awhile.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »

Not a fan? How many have you killed trying to grow one?  :lol1:
Most who hate them have failed at trying to grow them successfully. :'(

That appears to be a Phalaenopsis orchid, I think. Quite prolific for orchid genera, as far as the number of blooms sustainable on one plant over a period of time.

Have you ever had a flower bloom that lasted for four or five weeks (indoors, maybe more) or even ten or eleven months (in a properly maintained greenhouse)? Phalaenopsis blooms are known to commonly last for almost half a year awaiting the proper pollinator to create seeds for the next generation.

We have native orchids here in Indiana, but they are endangered species. I have only encountered one in the wild and it had an armed guard and a protected walkway leading up to it (Parks and Recreation Agent was guarding it) patrolling within about fifty feet in a state park. Kind of discourages people from stealing it. :zombiefuck:  Seriously.

Most of these Eastern Hemisphere genera are widely propagated by horticulturists worldwide and the resulting species, varieties or cultivars only slightly or rarely resemble the parent plants. That is a part of the fun, though.

I think you should give orchids another chance.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:47:35 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2017, 04:28:18 PM »
QV if there are any pics taken, I'd love to see them.

Seeing the PR with a huge grin on her face would make my da...wee..not sure how long but quite some time.

Another thing currently making me happy is getting the toolshed to myself all night. Hopefully now I can get to production of some violet phosphorus.

The preparation takes a long time, 24 hours at least, heating a sample of elemental phosphorus in molten lead, and then dissolving the lead away with acid to reveal the violet phosphorus within.

Going to try it with both red and white phosphorus and see if there is any difference, or if one succeeds and the other does not. Red P comes as a powder, and I've 2kg to play with so to speak, and the only time I've seen violet phosphorus on sale on ebay, it was going for about £20 PER GRAM. Not reactive much, unlike white phosphorus, and like red P, its not pyrophoric, and it is not known,  unlike white phosphorus to be highly toxic. I want to try making some lead molds, filling them with white phosphorus by melt-casting, then topping it off with more molten lead.

First, I shall have to get out my alembic and begin purging it with argon, and leading the outlet into hot water, to melt the recovered white phosphorus. Got plenty to try with, in fact I might just try it on test-tube scale first and see if my hotplate alone will reach the transition point, or if I need to frabricate a metal distillation vessel.

First things first though, I'm finishing my can of beer, jar of pickled olives and jelly-babies (love the black and thee green ones...biting their little baby toes off, and pulling their heads off..yum)
And finishing my rollup.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »

The orchid is gorgeous.  How long will the flower last?  :orly:
i don't know. we have another bought this year that stopped blooming as soon as we got it home. it's in a small pot so we're going to fix that.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »

Not a fan? How many have you killed trying to grow one?  :lol1:
Most who hate them have failed at trying to grow them successfully. :'(

That appears to be a Phalaenopsis orchid, I think. Quite prolific for orchid genera, as far as the number of blooms sustainable on one plant over a period of time.

Have you ever had a flower bloom that lasted for four or five weeks (indoors, maybe more) or even ten or eleven months (in a properly maintained greenhouse)? Phalaenopsis blooms are known to commonly last for almost half a year awaiting the proper pollinator to create seeds for the next generation.

We have native orchids here in Indiana, but they are endangered species. I have only encountered one in the wild and it had an armed guard and a protected walkway leading up to it (Parks and Recreation Agent was guarding it) patrolling within about fifty feet in a state park. Kind of discourages people from stealing it. :zombiefuck:  Seriously.

Most of these Eastern Hemisphere genera are widely propagated by horticulturists worldwide and the resulting species, varieties or cultivars only slightly or rarely resemble the parent plants. That is a part of the fun, though.

I think you should give orchids another chance.
i am not sure if mine will last that long. We have one that's not blooming anymore - just acquired last month. the one in the picture didn't bloom for two years and then the leaves got big so i repotted it and voila! we may have three blooms. i am going to repot the white one tomorrow. the pot is so small that i can't get an ice cube in there without it touching the leaves. the other one doesn't do ice cubes. i switched to dripping water onto the leaves a couple of times a week.

#Dancewithgarygopher