Educational

Author Topic: IQ and Testing  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: IQ and Testing
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 05:25:04 AM »
My IQ is Jell-O.

All of the IQ tests I have seen thus far either define intelligence in a really weird, counter intuitive way, or those that make the tests have no fucking clue what intelligence really is.  And the shit that the IQ tests test is their half assed attempt to measure something they don't understand in the first place.

In short, I think IQ tests(unless they've created some good ones while I wasn't looking) are pretty much totally useless.

And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 05:50:42 AM »
meh, i believe in mind over matter.  i believe in self confidence.
someone is told that they scored high on an IQ exam, then i think that person will one day have a very high intelligence quotient, if by sheer will.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2007, 07:30:07 AM »
someone is told that they scored high on an IQ exam, then i think that person will one day have a very high intelligence quotient, if by sheer will.

I believe that, too. My wife is a reverse example. She has dyslexia, but no one knew it and was constantly told that she just couldn't do well in school. She even had two different teachers tell her to give up on going to college, since she's just not going to make it. Guess what - she's also stubborn as a fence post and went to college for over two years, although didn't finish - after she learned about dyslexia, she dropped out and got a job doing what she liked to do. She is extremely intelligent, but had trouble with lessons, reading, (I don't have to tell you) and taking tests. When I met her, she was twenty six and just starting to realize that she wasn't as stupid as she had always been told, but see - it took years for her to get over the negative responses she had suffered, coming from every direction, even from teachers.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 07:40:11 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2007, 07:58:56 AM »

I believe that, too. My wife is an example. She has dyslexia, but no one knew it and was constantly told that she just couldn't do well in school. She even had two different teachers tell her to give up on going to college, since she's just not going to make it. Guess what - she's also stubborn as a fence post and went to college for over two years, although didn't finish - after she learned about dyslexia, she dropped out and got a job doing what she liked to do. She is extremely intelligent, but had trouble with lessons, reading, (I don't have to tell you) and taking tests. When I met her, she was twenty six and just starting to realize that she wasn't as stupid as she had always been told, but see - it took years for her to get over the negative responses she had suffered, coming from every direction, even from teachers.

A similar thing happened to my husband, who also has dyslexia, DirtDawg.  His mother would literally cry while she tried to help him with his spelling words and she became convinced school was just too difficult for him.  She advised him to go to truck-driving school because he likes to drive and because she was convinced that he would never make it in university.  He always said, "No, Mom, I'm getting a Ph. D. like my Dad." 

He was even more stubborn than your wife and despite some really good grades in college mixed with some truly awful grades as an undergraduate, he applied to graduate school in Mathematics.  At first he was rejected because of his GPA, so he appealed and was admitted, provisionally.  He was told that he was the person with the lowest undergraduate GPA ever admitted to graduate school at that university.  The reason why they admitted him was because he had extremely high grades in all the Mathematics classes he would need to satisfy a Master's degree, which he had already taken as an undergraduate, and he also had some stellar letters of recommendation from many of the professors in the Mathematics department.  He earned his Master's degree in Mathematics in near record time.  This included writing an original mathematical proof in his Master's thesis.

He has earned a Ph. D. now and of course he is a gifted mathematician.  He is brilliant.  I have tried to help him learn to spell some of the words he uses most often and he has learned to spell some of them.  While of course he always uses a spell checker, I still proofread all the important documents that he writes because spell checkers can make mistakes.

Graelwyn

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 08:27:36 AM »
I did well in school until I hit 11, which was when I changed over to secondary school here. I can either put that change of achievement down to the abuse I had suffered just prior, or to some element of aspergers...or to bullying. Either way, the headmistress consistently told my parents that I could achieve so much more and was capable of a great deal but I didn't achieve highly. I had no interest in doing the work, apart from perhaps the English. I was more interested in pursuing my own interests of writing, making lists and obsessing over one thing or another, and I would often skip classes to be alone somewhere, doing my own thing.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 09:31:54 AM »
I agree with Dirtdawg about the reverse happening too- if people constantly treat you as if you're stupid then its hard not to believe that everyone was right about you.  It wasn't till about 5 years or so ago that I really started to believe even a little that I wasn't stupid- I went to college to do a a-level psychology course and got A's on everything I handed in (the teacher even asked if he could keep a copy of one of my essays to hand out as a model answer). The way I was treated at school though its no wonder that even now I still think I'm stupid sometimes- I have mild dyslexia (I almost always have dictionary.com open in another tab when I post),  mild dyscalculia (I often see numbers in a different order to what they really are), I was incredibly shy, clumsy, struggled with social skills, and to top it all off I was a blonde, well-developed, working-class girl.   All this made me pretty much invisible to my teachers, other than those that were recommending I dropped down a level in subjects.

Even after the good grades I got a college and later on at university (before I had to drop out because of family issues) I still tell myself that I'm just faking any intelligence I show.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »

Now that's a success story, Callaway.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 09:46:11 AM »
I still tell myself that I'm just faking any intelligence I show.

I always feel the same way, but I just keep trying, don't you?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2007, 09:51:18 AM »

Yes I do- I just wish it wasn't so hard to stop being so critical of myself.

Litigious

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »
I know that I'm intelligent, but still I feel like a fake. How good it would be if every NT moron that really is stupid felt that all the time. But they almost never do.

ozymandias

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »

Yes I do- I just wish it wasn't so hard to stop being so critical of myself.

I feel the same way, some days I hate myself for being so stupid!  But, as DirtDawg said, I just keep trying no matter what.  On the plus side it's pissed people off who wrote me off years ago!

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2007, 10:10:04 AM »

I feel the same way, some days I hate myself for being so stupid!  But, as DirtDawg said, I just keep trying no matter what.  On the plus side it's pissed people off who wrote me off years ago!

I've never really looked at it that way.  I really need to find someway to stop myself always thinking 'you could never do that', I know it holds me back a lot but sometimes it can be so difficult to ignore that voice.

ozymandias

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »

I've never really looked at it that way.  I really need to find someway to stop myself always thinking 'you could never do that', I know it holds me back a lot but sometimes it can be so difficult to ignore that voice.

Yeah, thats the same voice I hear all the time!  It's particularly loud when I think about practicing the guitar.  But, in the past, it was loud for everything.  "Oh you'll never get your degree, you'll never have a relationship, give up, why bother, etc, etc.  But, there was a part of me that would not give up, if one door closed, I kept looking for another or a window or even a crack in the wall to get thru and reach for what I wanted.

Everytime I try something new, I get this horrible feeling that I can't do it!  But, if I don't at least try, I'll feel even worse!  It's like a freakin civil war in my head! >:(

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2007, 10:18:12 AM »

On the positive side, we always are very encouraging to our children because we know how awful the negativity feels, aren't we?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2007, 10:21:51 AM »

On the positive side, we always are very encouraging to our children because we know how awful the negativity feels, aren't we?

Yes totally- Caitlin in particular is very critical of herself and I'm determined to do all I can to help her get rid of this negativity. The thought that she's going to end up picking herself to pieces over every little thing like I do scares the hell out of me.