Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 21701 times)

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #600 on: June 26, 2020, 05:46:01 AM »

Today’s Doodle celebrates British activist Olive Morris on her 68th birthday. Morris is widely recognised as a prominent voice of leadership in the fight against discrimination in Great Britain during the 1970s.

Olive Elaine Morris was born in St. Catherine, Jamaica on this day in 1952 and moved to London before she turned 10. A catalysing moment in Morris’ life of activism occurred when she was just 17, when she witnessed the arrest and beating of a Nigerian diplomat whom police had stopped on the basis of the “sus” laws of the time, similar to today’s “stop-and-search” policies. In response to this injustice, Morris intervened to try to protect the diplomat and prevent the arrest. As a result, she was arrested, held, and physically assaulted. This incident ignited Morris’ determination to take action, and she soon joined the Black Panthers’ Youth Collective to oppose systemic racism within Britain.

Morris took a leadership role in the push toward justice across many areas of society, including fighting for racial equality, gender equality, and squatters’ rights. After heading protests and demonstrations, she helped to found the Brixton Black Women’s Group in 1973, one of Britain’s first networks for Black women.

Despite leaving secondary school with no qualifications, Morris enrolled in 1975 at Manchester University, where she earned a degree in social sciences and fought tirelessly for issues like international students’ rights. She also traveled extensively around the world, from China to Algeria, which greatly informed her approach to activism back home. In 1978, she co-founded the Organisation of Women of Asian and African Descent, considered instrumental in rallying movements for change.

In honor of Morris’ lifetime of activism, she was selected in 2015 to appear on the Brixton Pound, a currency designed to foster local business within the South London neighborhood she served during her lifetime. Today’s Doodle features Morris’ portrait on a wall in South London, surrounded by the local community the Brixton Pound that featured her was intended to support. Her commitment to fighting for equality and justice continues to inspire today.

source: https://www.google.com/doodles/olive-morris-68th-birthday
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #601 on: June 26, 2020, 05:51:30 AM »

To add to that, I'm still amazed they still have the Brixton currency. Never really held my own one, yet to hold one of those as I'm there sometimes.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #602 on: June 26, 2020, 06:52:28 PM »
Those are pretty.  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #603 on: June 27, 2020, 05:23:06 PM »
Those are pretty.  :orly:

They are, never actually got to see those in person while living in Brixton some time back.

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #604 on: June 30, 2020, 05:37:13 AM »

Today’s Doodle, illustrated by Los Angeles-based guest artist Rob Gilliam, celebrates LGBTQ+ rights activist, performer, and self-identified drag queen Marsha P. Johnson, who is widely credited as one of the pioneers of the LGBTQ+ rights movement in the United States. On this day in 2019, Marsha was posthumously honored as a grand marshal of the New York City Pride March.

Marsha P. Johnson was born Malcolm Michaels Jr. on August 24th, 1945, in Elizabeth, New Jersey. After graduating high school in 1963, she moved to New York City’s Greenwich Village, a burgeoning cultural hub for LGBTQ+ people. Here, she legally changed her name to Marsha P. Johnson. Her middle initial—“P.”—allegedly stood for her response to those who questioned her gender: “Pay It No Mind.”

A beloved and charismatic fixture in the LGBTQ+ community, Johnson is credited as one of the key leaders of the 1969 Stonewall uprising— widely regarded as a critical turning point for the international LGBTQ+ rights movement. The following year, she founded the Street Transvestite (now Transgender) Action Revolutionaries (STAR) with fellow transgender activist Sylvia Rivera. STAR was the first organization in the U.S. to be led by a trans woman of color and was the first to open North America’s first shelter for LGBTQ+ youth.

In 2019, New York City announced plans to erect statues of Johnson and Rivera in Greenwich Village, which will be one of the world’s first monuments in honor of transgender people.

Thank you, Marsha P. Johnson, for inspiring people everywhere to stand up for the freedom to be themselves.

Source: https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-marsha-p-johnson

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #605 on: June 30, 2020, 05:39:45 AM »

Today’s Doodle celebrates the legacy of 18th-century Brazilian architect and engineer Joaquim Pinto de Oliveira, also known as Tebas. Historians believe that during this month in 1778, Tebas broke free from the shackles of slavery and ingrained his artistic vision into the streets of São Paulo upon the completed renovation of one of his most iconic designs: the first tower of the original São Paulo Cathedral.

Tebas was born in 1721 in the port city of Santos, Brazil, and was a black slave of the well-known Portuguese architect and builder Bento de Oliveira Lima. They relocated to São Paulo during a period of expansive civil construction in the capital city. Tebas had a rare expertise in working with stone, a skill which placed his services in very high demand there.

By the 1750s, Tebas had risen to become a highly accomplished architect in São Paulo, and over the following decades, he shaped the city with constructions including the pediment of the São Bento Monastery and the facade of the Church of the Third Order of Carmo. He continued working for years after he gained his freedom and lived until the age of 90. Over the course of his long life, he cemented himself as one of the greatest Brazilian architects of his time.

In honor of Tebas’ contributions to the city, in 2019 his name was inscribed at the former site of what is widely considered one of his best-known works, the Chafariz da Misericordia (Fountain of Mercy), Sao Paulo’s first public water fountain which he designed and constructed in 1792.

Thank you, Tebas, for overcoming all obstacles to lay the blueprint for a brighter future!

Source: https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-tebas-joaquim-pinto-de-oliveira

This is only viewed in Brazil

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #606 on: July 04, 2020, 04:04:33 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Fourth of July 2020.

Let the sparks fly today, as the US celebrates the Fourth of July.

Happy birthday, USA!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #607 on: July 05, 2020, 02:16:36 AM »
Happy belated b-day, USA. I hope you didn't invade anyone. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #608 on: July 20, 2020, 02:27:42 AM »

Celebrating Dilhan Eryurt who happens to be the Turkish astronomer.

http://www.google.com/doodles

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #609 on: July 22, 2020, 06:58:45 PM »
Not a doodle, but under the Google search bar today it says: Film your day on July 25 to be part of a historic documentary.  :orly:

LIFE IN A DAY

https://lifeinaday.youtube/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=hppcta&utm_campaign=2020

In 2020, history is being made every day.

Australian bushfires. Civil unrest in Hong Kong. A pandemic that took precious lives and changed the way we live. Protests in every corner of America — and around the world — to demand that Black Lives Matter.

But in the midst of these extraordinary events, everyday life still continues.
We share moments, music, and meals.
We dance. We laugh. We cry.
We love. We fear. We hope.

What if we captured all of it in a single day?

On Saturday, July 25, 2020, film your day and upload your footage and you may become part of a historic documentary – a time capsule of the year 2020.

Anyone can participate and submissions from all over the world will be woven together to create a feature film, produced by Ridley Scott, directed by Kevin Macdonald, filmed by you, and premiering at the 2021 Sundance Film Festival.

Submissions open on July 25th and close on August 2nd.

Learn more about filming requirements and how to take part.
https://lifeinaday.youtube/take-part/

Let’s write the story of 2020 together.

WHERE IT ALL BEGAN

In July 2010, tens of thousands of people picked up their cameras and followed a simple invitation: show us what your day looks like.

With over 80,000 clips submitted from 189 countries, Life in a Day became the biggest participatory film project ever made. From 4,500 hours of footage, Kevin Macdonald and his team created a 90-minute feature film that premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival and on YouTube. It’s since been watched over 16 million times.

You can watch the full film here.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 07:02:03 PM by Gopher Gary »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #610 on: July 31, 2020, 02:29:20 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Pacita Abad.

Today’s Doodle celebrates Philippine artist, feminist, and activist Pacita Abad, renowned for her bold use of color and mixed media as well as her use of art to address global themes. On this day in 1984, Abad made history as the first woman to receive the Philippines’ prestigious Ten Outstanding Young Men award.

Pacita Abad was born on October 5th, 1946 in Basco, in the northern province of Batanes, the Philippines. She pursued graduate studies in San Francisco, California in the U.S. in 1970 and became very involved in the city’s artistic community. Abad went on to study painting and then traveled the world with her art supplies, from Bangladesh to Sudan, and the cultures she encountered had a profound influence on her ever-evolving artistic style. Dedicated to improving the world through art, she used pieces like her 1979 series “Portraits of Cambodia” to raise awareness of societal issues.

Over time, Abad transitioned toward abstract work and pioneered a painting technique called trapunto (Italian for quilting). To achieve this style, she stuffed her canvases to create a sculptural effect and integrated culturally significant materials discovered during her travels, like shells and fabrics. Abad channeled a passion for public art into her 2003 project “Painted Bridge,” for which she covered Singapore’s 55-meter Alkaff Bridge with an explosion of 2,350 vibrantly colored circles. 

Abad crafted over 5,000 pieces of art, and today her colorful legacy resonates in collections in over 70 countries.

Thank you, Pacita Abad, for painting the picture of a brighter tomorrow!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #611 on: August 03, 2020, 10:43:18 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Vicki Draves.

Today’s Doodle celebrates Filipino American diver and coach Victoria “Vicki” Draves, the first Asian American woman to win an Olympic medal. On this day in 1948, Draves won the gold medal in the women’s 3-meter springboard event at the London Summer Olympics.

Victoria Draves was born Victoria Taylor Manalo in the South of Market district of San Francisco on December 31st, 1924. Growing up, she and her family often hopped on the trolley to the enormous Fleishhacker Pool to swim and watch the divers. When she was a teenager, a member of a local swim team asked if she wanted to learn to dive, and she eagerly accepted, springboarding her into the sport she went on to champion.

After thousands of dives to perfect her form and three consecutive U.S. National Diving Championship platform titles, Draves earned a spot at the 1948 Summer Olympics in London. She dominated the games one faithful leap at a time and made history as the first woman to take home the gold in both the platform and springboard events.

Thank you, Vicki Draves, for inspiring people everywhere to aim high and take the plunge!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #612 on: August 05, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Wear a Mask. Save Lives. (Aug 5).

As COVID-19 continues to impact communities around the world, help stop the spread by following these steps. https://www.google.com/search?q=coronavirus+tips&oq=coronavirus+tips&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2j69i60l3j69i65l2.1213j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #613 on: August 05, 2020, 12:02:06 PM »
^Haven't seen that one. They should use it here, too.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #614 on: August 05, 2020, 03:31:32 PM »
Yeah, I though it was kind of weird it's not shown in some places. I can't copy the doodle reach map, but you can see it here. https://www.google.com/doodles/wear-a-mask-save-lives-aug-5