Educational

Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 21058 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #855 on: November 02, 2023, 12:15:16 AM »
Remember the person who posted here, his name was Calavera? I never knew his name meant skull. Interesting.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #856 on: November 03, 2023, 06:12:09 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Allan Haozous (Houser)

In honor of Native American Heritage Month, today’s Doodle celebrates renowned Chiricahua Apache sculptor, painter, and book illustrator Allan Haozous (Houser). Created by Albuquerque-based Lynnette Haozous, today’s artwork depicts Haozous in his element working on a sculpture of an Apache man and woman. On this day in 2012, his sculpture The Future was unveiled at the Autry Museum of the American West.

Haozous was born on June 30, 1914 in Apache, Oklahoma, to two parents who had experienced the trauma of being held as political prisoners for 27 years due to their tribal affiliation. Haozous was born soon after their release and grew up on a farm where he learned about his culture through stories and songs his father shared. When he turned 20, he moved to New Mexico and started painting at the Santa Fe Indian School.

Haozous’ skill was quickly recognized and commissions started rolling in. In 1939 he created murals for the New York World’s Fair, the Department of the Interior in Washington, D.C., and the Golden Gate Exposition. Haozous was commissioned by the Haskell Institute to create a memorial honoring the Native American soldiers who had died in WWI. This piece, Comrade in Mourning (1948), was Haozous' first marble sculpture. The following year, he received the Guggenheim Fellowship for sculpting and painting, which allowed him to dedicate more time to his craft.

Haozous taught the next generation of Native American artists from 1951 to 1975, both at the Inter-Mountain Indian School in Utah and the Institute of American Indian Arts in Santa Fe, where he created the sculpture department. During this time, he showed his artistic range by creating hundreds of paintings, illustrating several children’s books, and making carvings from bronze, stone, and steel.

Haozous left teaching in 1975 and produced almost 1,000 sculptures in various mediums during his retirement which garnered international acclaim. He was inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame in 1985 and was the featured artist of the 2002 Winter Olympics hosted in Utah. Over his career he received many awards for his art and was the first Native American to win the National Medal of Arts.

Today, many enjoy Haozous’ pieces which are displayed across several cities including, Santa Fe, Vancouver, London, Paris, Tokyo, and a few D.C. museums including the Smithsonian Museum of American Art.

:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #857 on: November 03, 2023, 06:14:49 PM »
Remember the person who posted here, his name was Calavera? I never knew his name meant skull. Interesting.

I do remember him.  :orly: I didn't put those two things together until you mentioned it. Now I wish I had suggested a sugar skull back in the day when he was asking for avatar ideas.  :lol1:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #858 on: November 03, 2023, 07:49:10 PM »
^Yeah, that would have been cool. I liked him.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #859 on: November 10, 2023, 11:11:20 AM »
Calavera was cool.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #860 on: November 11, 2023, 08:20:09 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Veterans Day 2023

Today’s hand-crafted, annual Veterans Day Doodle was created by Puerto Rican guest artist Lindsay “Bones” Cordero, U.S. Air Force veteran and mental health advocate. The Doodle artwork focuses on the importance of peer-to-peer support across the veteran community, representing individuals from each branch of the military and across the five generations of living veterans today.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #861 on: November 21, 2023, 09:25:33 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Dr. Victor Chang's 87th Birthday

Dr. Chang is remembered as a humanitarian and pioneer of cardiac and transplant surgery. One of his most impactful contributions to medicine was the development of St. Vincent's artificial heart valve which was significantly cheaper than previous models, making it globally accessible for use in lifesaving procedures.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #862 on: November 23, 2023, 08:30:33 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Thanksgiving 2023

This Thanksgiving, we gathered many hands around our table to help assemble the Doodle artwork. Many will gather around their own tables today to give thanks and share a meal with family, friends, and community members.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #863 on: December 13, 2023, 07:43:09 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Agnès Varda

This Doodle celebrates Belgian-born French photographer,director, and artist Agnès Varda, who is widely considered a pioneer of French New Wave movies. On this day in 2014, the European Film Academy presented her with an honorary Lifetime Achievement Award for her work.

About the Doodle:
Varda was born in Brussels on May 30, 1928, with the name Arlette. The family moved to Sète, France when she was 12, and she studied art history and photography before starting her career taking pictures for magazines and the Théâtre National Populaire.

Some of her photos inspired Varda to make cinematic works, including her first film in 1955, La Pointe Courte, which balanced fiction with documentary-style discussions. Varda continued to make films. As a self-taught director who had not studied filmmaking, she had freedom from industry standards allowing her to break norms and help usher in the French New Wave. The New Wave movement was characterized by the rejection of traditional filmmaking conventions in favor of experimentation. She was one of the only female New Wave filmmakers.

In her vast cinematic career, Varda directed over 40 films including shorts, features, and documentaries about the complexities of humans. Some of her most notable works include Cleo from 5 to 7, Vagabond and The Gleaners and I. A self-described feminist, she featured women’s stories in many films. Varda advocated for women’s choice in the 1977 movie L’Une chante, l’autre pas, which she describes as a “feminist musical.” She partook in advocacy for women even outside of her films — notably, she signed the Manifesto of the 343 with other Frenchwomen, declaring publicly that they had abortions in the past and pushing policy makers to legalize them.

Varda continued her creative endeavors in new formats — she started video installations in 2003. Her immersive art installations have been displayed worldwide in cities such as Ghent, New York, Beijing, and Paris.

Varda's varied career can be appreciated today through her films, photographs, artworks, and books. Along the way, Varda earned several awards including a Lumières Award and an Oscar nomination for Visages Villages (Faces Places), a César Award for Les Plages d'Agnès (The Beaches of Agnés), a Golden Lion for Sans toit ni loi (Vagabond), an Honorary Oscar for her lifetime achievements in cinema and many more.

Agnès Varda charted her own path by self-producing her films, embodying the true spirit of artistic independence and creative resilience. Thanks for staying true to yourself, Agnès. Your unique perspective has and will inspire artists for years to come!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #864 on: December 31, 2023, 02:06:44 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is New Year's Eve 2023

3… 2… 1… Happy New Year!

This Doodle brings some sparkle and shine to start off New Year right! As the clock nears closer and closer to midnight, people around the world are planning their new year’s resolutions and wishing for success, love, joy, and everything in between.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #865 on: January 01, 2024, 07:40:07 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is New Year's Day 2024

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #866 on: January 15, 2024, 07:36:25 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2024

This Doodle celebrates Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day and its namesake, Dr. King, whose legacy continues to inspire people globally to pursue equity and justice. Illustrated by Texas-based guest artist Tatyana ZW Alanis, today’s Doodle features peaceful protesters in the Selma-to-Montgomery march.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #867 on: February 10, 2024, 01:56:36 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Global Lunar New Year 2024.

This Doodle celebrates Lunar New Year — an important holiday for many Asian cultures. It comes from the lunisolar Chinese calendar system, which follows the cycles of the moon and sun. Each year, the first new moon of the lunar calendar marks when communities around the world gather with friends and family to honor a fresh start.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #868 on: February 10, 2024, 08:51:07 PM »
According to the Chinese zodiac, I'm a Fire Dragon.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #869 on: February 29, 2024, 06:12:49 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Leap Day 2024

Ribbiting news, it's Leap Day! Leap Day, February 29th, only occurs about every four years, to keep our calendars in alignment with the Earth and sun.

Enjoy this bonus day of February — Happy Leap Day!