Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 24954 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #540 on: March 20, 2020, 12:53:19 AM »
Finally. :woohoo:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #541 on: March 20, 2020, 03:13:00 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Recognizing Ignaz Semmelweis and Handwashing.

Today’s Doodle follows the official recommendation on how to properly wash your hands from the World Health Organization.

Today’s Doodle recognizes Hungarian physician Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis, widely attributed as the first person to discover the medical benefits of handwashing. On this day in 1847, Semmelweis was appointed Chief Resident in the maternity clinic of the Vienna General Hospital, where he deduced and demonstrated that requiring doctors to disinfect their hands vastly reduced the transmission of disease.

Born in Buda (now Budapest), Hungary on July 1st, 1818, Ignaz Semmelweis went on to obtain a doctorate from the University of Vienna and master’s degree in midwifery. When he began his tenure at the Vienna General Hospital in the mid 19th century, a mysterious and poorly understood infection known as “childbed fever” was leading to high mortality rates in new mothers in maternity wards across Europe.

Semmelweis was dedicated to finding the cause. After a thorough investigation, he deduced that the doctors were transmitting infectious material from earlier operations and autopsies to susceptible mothers through their hands. He immediately instituted a requirement that all medical staff wash their hands in between patient examinations, and as a result, infection rates in his division began to plummet.

Unfortunately, many of Semmelweis’ peers initially viewed his ideas with skepticism. Decades later, his hygienic recommendations were validated by the widespread acceptance of the “germ theory of disease.”

Today, Semmelweis is widely remembered as “the father of infection control,” credited with revolutionizing not just obstetrics, but the medical field itself, informing generations beyond his own that handwashing is one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of diseases.
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #542 on: April 01, 2020, 05:25:23 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Dame Jean Macnamara's 121st Birthday.

Today’s Doodle, illustrated by Sydney-based guest artist Thomas Campi, celebrates Australian doctor and medical scientist Dame Jean Macnamara on her 121st birthday. Dr. Macnamara applied her tireless work ethic to better understand and treat various forms of paralysis including polio, and her work contributed to the development of a successful polio vaccine in 1955.

Annie Jean Macnamara was born in Beechworth, Victoria, Australia on this day in 1899, and as a teenager during World World I felt a strengthened resolve “to be of some use in the world.” Standing just 152cm tall, the forthright Dr. Macnamara proved to be a force to be reckoned with.

Dr. Macnamara graduated from medical school in 1925, the same year a polio epidemic struck the capital city of Melbourne. As a consultant and medical officer to the Poliomyelitis Committee of Victoria, she turned her focus to treating and researching the potentially fatal virus, a particular risk for children.

In collaboration with the future Nobel Prize winner Sir Macfarlane Burnet, she discovered in 1931 that there was more than one strain of the poliovirus, a pivotal step towards the development of an effective vaccine nearly 25 years later.

Dr. Macnamara continued to work with sufferers of the disease—especially children—for the rest of her life, developing new methods of treatment and rehabilitation.

For her invaluable commitment to children’s lives, she was appointed Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in 1935. During her lifetime, Dr. Macnamara's research also played a major role in the introduction of myxomatosis to control rabbit plagues, minimising environmental damage across Australia.

Happy birthday, Dame Jean Macnamara!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #543 on: April 03, 2020, 06:19:15 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Stay Home. Save Lives.

Stay home. Save lives.​

As COVID-19 continues to impact communities around the world, help stop the spread by following these steps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coronavirus+tips&oq=coronavirus+tips&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2j69i60l3j69i65l2.1213j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #544 on: April 05, 2020, 11:35:57 PM »
Today's Google doodle is Thank You: Public health workers and to researchers in the scientific community.

As COVID-19 continues to impact communities around the world, people are coming together to help one another now more than ever. Over the coming weeks, we’re launching a Doodle series to recognize and honor many of those on the front lines.

Today, we’d like to say:

To all the public health workers and to researchers in the scientific community, thank you.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #545 on: April 07, 2020, 06:54:42 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Thank You: Emergency services workers.

As COVID-19 continues to impact communities around the world, people are coming together to help one another now more than ever. We’re launching a Doodle series to recognize and honor many of those on the front lines.

Today, we’d like to say:

To all doctors, nurses, and medical workers, thank you.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #546 on: April 09, 2020, 04:39:35 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Thank You: Custodial and sanitation workers.

As COVID-19 continues to impact communities around the world, people are coming together to help one another now more than ever. We’re launching a Doodle series to recognize and honor many of those on the front lines.

Today, we’d like to say:

To all custodial and sanitation workers, thank you.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #547 on: April 10, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Thank You: Farmworkers and farmers

Today, we’d like to say:

To all farmworkers and farmers, thank you.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #548 on: April 12, 2020, 10:14:00 AM »
There wasn't a Easter doodle today, but earlier there was a small egg at the bottom of the page under the google search bar. I was going to paste it but now it's gone so I guess they changed their mind.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:15:41 AM by Gopher Gary »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #549 on: April 13, 2020, 04:20:11 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Thank You: Grocery workers.

Today, we’d like to say:

To all grocery workers, thank you.

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #550 on: April 14, 2020, 10:33:48 AM »

Today's doodle: Thank you to the transport workers.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #551 on: April 14, 2020, 03:16:21 PM »
 :plus: Sorry I can't really plus you.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #552 on: April 15, 2020, 04:46:16 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Thank You: Packaging, shipping, and delivery workers.

Today, we’d like to say:

To all packaging, shipping, and delivery workers, thank you.

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #553 on: April 15, 2020, 08:06:56 PM »

Todays doodle is: A thank you to all the food service workers.

Offline SBI_Patience

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #554 on: April 16, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »

Today's doodle: Teachers and childcare workers.