Educational

Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 24740 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #525 on: December 10, 2019, 05:01:52 PM »
i don't suppose they keep a reservoir of old Google Doodles somewhere?

They do.  :orly:

https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-loteria
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #526 on: December 22, 2019, 05:34:59 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Winter 2019 (Northern Hemisphere)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #527 on: December 23, 2019, 02:39:03 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Happy Holidays 2019 (Day 1)
December 23, 2019

No matter how you choose to celebrate, ‘tis the season to enjoy the holiday festivities during the most wonderful time of the year!

Happy holidays!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #528 on: December 24, 2019, 11:32:58 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Happy Holidays 2019 (Day 2)
December 24, 2019

No matter how you choose to celebrate, ‘tis the season to enjoy the holiday festivities during the most wonderful time of the year!

Happy holidays!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #529 on: December 25, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Happy Holidays 2019 (Day 3)
December 25, 2019

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #530 on: December 31, 2019, 02:57:08 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is New Year's Eve 2019.

Today’s Doodle features Froggy the weather frog to help ring in 2020! You may have seen Froggy before, while looking up the weather in Google Search on your mobile device.

Froggy is gearing up for New Year's celebrations in any weather. He says he’s most excited about it being a Leap Year. “The 2020s are sure to be ribbitting!”

Once the clock strikes midnight, the new decade begins! Time sure is fun when you’re having flies… Ready to jump in?

Hoppy New Year’s Eve!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #531 on: January 01, 2020, 07:15:29 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is New Year’s Day 2020.

Ever wonder what Froggy is thinking of, besides the weather forecast in Google Search on mobile? Today, he’s PONDering his new year’s resolutions!

Wherever you are today, whether or not the skies are clear, we hope at least your vision for the year will be 20/20!

Happy New Year!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #532 on: January 19, 2020, 11:43:20 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Martin Luther King Jr. Day 2020.

Today’s Doodle, illustrated by Atlanta-based guest artist Dr. Fahamu Pecou, pays tribute to Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. on this national day of service, named in his honor. A civil rights icon, Dr. King strived to pave the way for a world where people would be treated equally, regardless of their race.

Dr. King was born in Atlanta, Georgia, on January 15th, 1929, and raised in a ministerial family during the segregation era. In 1955, Dr. King helped organize the successful Montgomery Bus Boycott, one of the first major protests of the African-American civil rights movement. The boycott resulted in the 1956 Supreme Court decision to declare segregation on buses unconstitutional.

A powerful orator, Dr. King traveled across the country  advocating for justice and access to public services for all, delivering upwards of 2,500 speeches over his lifetime. Organizing such landmark demonstrations as the 1963 March on Washington, Dr. King also played a pivotal role in the passing of the Civil Rights of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is the first national holiday named for a modern private citizen. Initially celebrated on this day in 1986, it is now observed in all 50 states.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #533 on: January 22, 2020, 07:00:42 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Celebrating Anna May Wong.

“I felt sure that I’d see my name in electric lights before long.”
–Anna May Wong

Today’s slideshow Doodle celebrates the first-ever Chinese American movie star in Hollywood, Anna May Wong, on the 97th anniversary of the day The Toll of the Sea went into general release, which was her first leading role. Featured in the Doodle slideshow are scenes from her life, including some of her most famous characters from the more than 50 movies she was featured in throughout her career.

The Los Angeles native was born Wong Liu Tsong on January 3rd, 1905. Originally from Taishan, China, Wong’s family taught their children both English and Cantonese. When not at school or in her father’s Sam Kee laundry, Wong began spending her time hanging around movie studios and asking directors for roles, and by age 11, she had chosen her stage name: “Anna May Wong.”

Wong was often overlooked or only offered small roles due to prevailing racial barriers. However, refusing to be limited to or typecast as Asian stereotypes, she moved to Europe in 1928. There, Wong starred in many plays and movies, such as Piccadilly (1929) and The Flame of Love (1930), and was soon promised leading roles in the U.S.

Upon returning to the U.S., one of the roles Wong was cast for was opposite her friend Marlene Dietrich in the 1932 release of Shanghai Express, which became one of her most famous roles. Shortly after, she was named the “world’s best-dressed woman” by the Mayfair Mannequin Society of New York, cementing her position as an international fashion icon. In the 1950s, she also became the first Asian American to land a leading role in a U.S. television series, playing a mystery-solving detective in the show The Gallery of Madame Liu-Tsong.

In recognition of her many accomplishments, Wong was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #534 on: January 25, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Lunar New Year 2020 (Multiple Countries)

In parts of Asia, each lunar year is represented by one of twelve animals in the rotation of the zodiac calendar—and 2020 is the Year of the Rat!

Today’s animated Doodle commemorates one of the most significant cultural holidays for Asian communities, the observance of the Lunar New Year. It depicts the story of the grand race that earned the rat its premier spot in the calendar.

According to ancient legend, an emperor challenged different animals to race through the land to determine their order in the zodiac. Due to his size, the rat knew it could not cross a river on his own, so he hitched a ride on the ox’s back. But, just before reaching the opposite shore over a river, the rat then cleverly leapt off—winning first place in the race and thus the zodiac calendar!

Often viewed as an opportunity for new beginnings, this multi-day celebration gathers loved ones together to share some delectable nian gao, tang yuan, and jiao zhi as everyone wishes each other happiness and prosperity!

Happy Lunar New Year!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #535 on: February 01, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is 60th Anniversary of the Greensboro Sit-in.

In honor of Black History Month, today’s diorama Doodle, created by Compton-based guest artist Karen Collins of the African American Miniature Museum, remembers the Greensboro sit-in on its 60th anniversary. Organized by four Black college freshmen who became known as the “Greensboro Four,” this protest against segregation was a key part of the Civil Rights Movement, sparking a series of similar demonstrations throughout the nation.

Inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s nonviolent protests for racial equality, North Carolina A&T State University freshmen Ezell Blair Jr. (a.k.a. Jibreel Khazan), David Richmond, Franklin McCain, and Joseph McNeil, met at the local Woolworth’s department store in Greensboro, North Carolina on this day in 1960. The group requested service at the “whites-only” lunch counter—a common discriminatory and segregation practice by US businesses and institutions allowed by Jim Crow era laws. Denied service, the four continued to peacefully occupy their seats and refused to leave until the store closed at night.

In the days and weeks that followed, the “Greensboro Four'' were joined by hundreds of other protesters. As the movement grew however, so too did the opposition, who routinely verbally harassed protesters with racial slurs—even resorting to spitting and throwing food at the nonviolent demonstrators. Undaunted, protestors were willing to repeat the sit-ins for as long as necessary, in hopes that the establishment would feel pressured to desegregate.

As a result of the movement’s passion and resilience, Woolworth's fully integrated their dining area on July 25th, 1960. Catalyzing a much larger nonviolent sit-in movement across the country, the protests played a definitive role in the fight for civil rights. In its wake, segregation of public places became illegal under the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

In recognition of this historic demonstration, the Woolworth’s Department Store in Greensboro is now the International Civil Rights Center and Museum, and part of the counter is housed at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #536 on: February 15, 2020, 05:40:20 AM »
Yesterday's Google doodle was Valentine's Day 2020.

No matter where you are in the universe today, love is in the air!

Whether your loved ones are light-years away, or nearby, we hope no amount of space gets in the way of letting them know you're over the moon for them.

Wishing all a stellar Valentine’s Day!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #537 on: February 15, 2020, 05:41:25 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Susan B. Anthony’s 200th Birthday.

Today’s Doodle celebrates the 200th birthday of social reformer Susan B. Anthony, and 2020 also happens to mark the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage in the U.S.. Anthony fought tirelessly for decades to earn women the right to vote in the U.S and is recognized as one of the nation’s most important figures of the women’s suffrage movement.

Susan Brownell Anthony was born on this day in 1820 in western Massachusetts, U.S. As a child, she was inspired by the idea that all people were born equal regardless of their race or gender. An introduction through her father to prominent abolitionists like Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison first ignited her passion for social change. In 1851, Anthony met reformer Elizabeth Cady Stanton, beginning a 50-year partnership focused on women’s rights advocacy.

On November 5th, 1872, Anthony walked into a voting station in Rochester, New York and cast a vote in the presidential election, defying the law at the time, which denied women the right to vote. Two weeks later, she was fined $100 (over $2,100 today), drawing national attention to the cause. She refused to pay the fine, proclaiming, “I shall never pay a dollar of your unjust penalty.”

Anthony remained an active leader of the women’s suffrage movement for decades, including serving as president of the largest suffrage association in the U.S. and speaking to crowds across the country to lobby for change.

In 1920, nearly 50 years after Anthony first cast her ballot, women in America were finally granted the right to vote with the passage of the 19th Amendment. Though this amendment did not include women of color, the franchise was extended through the passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The U.S. Treasury Department honored Anthony’s legacy in 1979 by placing her image on the dollar coin, making her the first woman in history to be depicted on U.S. currency.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »
It's not a doodle, but this red symbol is under the Google search, which links to a WHO announcement page.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #539 on: March 19, 2020, 03:58:42 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Spring 2020 (Northern Hemisphere).