Educational

Author Topic: Google Doodles  (Read 20799 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Google Doodles
« Reply #345 on: July 04, 2017, 05:53:32 AM »
140th aniversary of Wimbledon ? Pfft.  There'a an iron-age hill fort on Wimbledon Common , and the village is mentioned in the Domesday book.
Ohhh , wait! you mean that silly game with the ball and rackets and rapid  sideways movements of the eyes, don't you?  Hmm, no, they probably didn't play that in the Iron Age.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:07:35 AM by Walkie »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #346 on: July 04, 2017, 10:16:25 AM »
Today's Google Doodle is Fourth of July 2017.

Whether you know it as the Fourth of July, Independence Day, or simply America’s birthday, today’s Doodle commemorates an important day in U.S. history. 241 years ago, on July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress voted to adopt the Declaration of Independence, a document proclaiming freedom from Great Britain. And thus the United States of America was born. Each year on this day, Americans from coast to coast unite to celebrate the birth of their country with traditions such as parades, firework displays, and barbecuing with family and friends.

Today’s Doodle is inspired by Stephen Mather (also born July 4), a noted conservationist and the first director of the National Parks Service. Often hailed as “America’s Best Idea,” the NPS was created by President Woodrow Wilson in 1916. Over a century old, America’s national parks span 84 million acres and host more than 275 million visitors every year.

However you spend this Fourth of July, we hope you'll join us in wishing America a very happy birthday!
:gopher:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #347 on: July 04, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »
140th aniversary of Wimbledon ? Pfft.  There'a an iron-age hill fort on Wimbledon Common , and the village is mentioned in the Domesday book.
Ohhh , wait! you mean that silly game with the ball and rackets and rapid  sideways movements of the eyes, don't you?  Hmm, no, they probably didn't play that in the Iron Age.
Husband likes watching the Wimbledon games. Personally can't stand all the grunting noises. :laugh:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #348 on: July 04, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
Husband likes watching the Wimbledon games. Personally can't stand all the grunting noises. :laugh:

Had a neighbour long ago who had practiced on her grunting. She was the Martina Hingis or Steffie Graf of the street, when it came to sound. She used it a lot when earning extras in a horizontal position. Then there was the day we heard her, but from a different direction. She had found a BF in a different street, and we still could hear her.

Wonder how it will be, living close to an important tennis court. The sound carries a long way.
 :lol1:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2017, 02:40:48 PM »
:laugh: That's awful.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #350 on: July 04, 2017, 04:17:50 PM »

Had a neighbour long ago who had practiced on her grunting. She was the Martina Hingis or Steffie Graf of the street, when it came to sound. She used it a lot when earning extras in a horizontal position. Then there was the day we heard her, but from a different direction. She had found a BF in a different street, and we still could hear her.

Wonder how it will be, living close to an important tennis court. The sound carries a long way.
 :lol1:

I imagine if it were me, I'd be making that sound when seeing her in public, with Sugarbutt joining me in volley.  :lol1:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #351 on: July 10, 2017, 09:43:41 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Eva Ekeblad’s 293rd Birthday.

Today we celebrate Eva Ekeblad’s 293rd birthday. The Swedish scientist brought potatoes, then a greenhouse curiosity, to the people. Eva discovered the starch was humble but mighty – potatoes could be ground into flour or distilled into spirits. Her discovery helped reduce famine in years to come.

For her scientific and delicious work, Eva Ekeblad became the first woman elected to the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 1748. She was truly a pioneer - the next woman recognized in those ranks would come 203 years later.

Today we we honor Eva Ekeblad's ingenuity and her scientific achievements. Happy birthday, Eva!

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #352 on: July 10, 2017, 10:24:19 PM »
Indians discovered potatoes...

...  dumbass! :hahaha:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #353 on: July 11, 2017, 12:18:53 AM »
And?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #354 on: July 11, 2017, 12:22:15 AM »
Scrap's Doodles, Reading Comprehension Issues Since the 70s.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #355 on: July 11, 2017, 07:10:14 PM »
Indians discovered potatoes...

...  dumbass! :hahaha:

No one gives a crap about the Indians.  :zoinks:

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #356 on: July 12, 2017, 06:48:52 AM »
Her discovery helped reduce famine in years to come.

Ironically, her discovery was actually  instrumental in causing enormous famine in Ireland   :( but , to be fair, that was  the fault of capitalism, rather than the fault of the potatoes.  Growing potaoes= nice idea.  Millions of poor people dependant on a monoculture= horribly crap idea.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #357 on: July 12, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »
Today's Google Doodle is Eiko Ishioka’s 79th Birthday.

Earning her an Oscar, a Grammy, and two Tony nominations, Eiko Ishioka’s work had a way of taking center stage no matter the medium. From print ads and album covers to costumes for film, theater, and the Olympics, the iconic Japanese designer did it all during her decades-long career — often unlike anyone before.

Born and raised in Tokyo, Ishioka pursued a career in graphic design at a time when there were few women in the industry. Despite the challenges she faced, Ishioka pushed through boundaries both socially and artistically. Her early print ads evoked many of the same themes that would later define her costume design: bold, surreal, and consistently unexpected.

Ishioka went on to earn global recognition by designing Academy Award-winning costumes for Francis Ford Coppola’s 1992 film Dracula, a Grammy-winning cover for Miles Davis’ 1986 album Tutu, and Tony-nominated sets and costumes for Broadway’s M. Butterfly. She worked closely with director Tarsem Singh on several films throughout her career, including 2012’s Mirror Mirror.

Showcasing some of Ishioka’s famous designs from Singh’s 2006 movie The Fall, today’s slideshow Doodle celebrates her revolutionary work on what would have been her 79th birthday.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #358 on: July 17, 2017, 05:18:15 AM »
I don't understand why that doodle is showing in the US, and it's only showing in the US. The tournament is taking place in England and Wales, and the US aren't even participants. Why is cricket being celebrated in the US? Doesn't google know Pittsburg just won the Stanley cup?  :dunno:

The cricket doodle is showing again today, this time for the women's cricket championships. Again, the US is in no way involved in the tournament but the doodle only shows in the US.  :dunno:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #359 on: July 22, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
Yesterday's Google Doodle was Marshall McLuhan’s 106th Birthday.

Long before we started looking to our screens for all the answers, Marshall McLuhan saw the internet coming — and predicted just how much impact it would have. A Canadian philosopher and professor who specialized in media theory, McLuhan came to prominence in the 1960s, just as TV was becoming part of everyday life. At the center of his thinking was the idea that society is shaped by technology and the way information is shared.

Today’s Doodle, which celebrates the visionary’s 106th birthday, illustrates this theory by showing how McLuhan viewed human history. He saw it through the lens of 4 distinct eras: the acoustic age, the literary age, the print age, and the electronic age. His first major book, The Gutenberg Galaxy (1962), popularized the term “global village” — the idea that technology brings people together and allows everyone the same access to information.

In Understanding Media (1964), McLuhan further examined the transformative effects of technology and coined his famous phrase “The medium is the message.” He believed that the way in which someone receives information is more influential than the information itself. Throughout the '60s and '70s, McLuhan made frequent TV appearances to share his theories with both followers and skeptics.

Decades later, we honor the man whose prophetic vision of the “computer as a research and communication instrument” has undeniably become a reality.