Educational

Author Topic: Lord of the Ales answers questions, but the answers might not be thrilling  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Lord of the Ales answers questions, but the answers might not be thrilling
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2015, 11:50:14 PM »
Eh?

What did I do?   :apondering:

I think you failed to drop everything in your real life and immediately come scampering back to the interwebs to answer a post.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2015, 03:07:19 AM »
What is it that you do, Dunc? More specifically I mean?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2015, 02:15:52 PM »

In that case, fuck off!

Random emotional whiplash?

Nope!
Merely a misplaced post, meant to be funny, but without context and being dropped in the wrong thread, it has no meaning.

Hope the original "thread bearer"  can just ignore it.
 :-[
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
Eh?

What did I do?   :apondering:

This is Dunc,  btw. As Ozy (rock hound) says, I've had my plate pretty full in recent years, with getting my head around sorting my son's schooling problems out and getting back into the routine of holding a job down again. If that means you don't want to know any more, that's sad and I hope I'm mistaken, but ultimately not my issue - I can't do everything at once. Sorry man.  :(

Hi, Dunc!  Glad you are back, even if only for the rare moments that you are able.

See my previous post and please, accept an apology.

"Flash posting" has never been a strong suit of mine. Further evidence exists.
 :asthing:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »
No offence taken Dawg, just wondered if I'd inadvertently rattled your chain.  :thumbup:

I work for a large building society in the lending department, its currently in the middle of a big reorganisation so our roles are in flux at present - over the coming months we'll all be trained to handle mortgage loan applications from start to finish with our own lending mandate, from initial underwriting appraisal through to release of funds, at present there are several different teams handling different parts of the process. I just moved from the evening shift which process (initially approved in principle by an underwriter) applications according to lending criteria, scoring the application and producing a list of required info/documents which is transmitted to the broker. I'm now a case manager, handling the latter part of the process liaising with the customer/intermediaries/solicitors/valuers etc and assessing the required documents, reports, income calculations and so on. After upskilling all teams will be doing essentially the same job at varying skill levels.

Fascinating stuff I'm sure you'll agree. That's why I don't talk about my actual job much.  :lol1:

tl:dr; I'm a lowly mortgage grunt. :P
arsebiscuits!

Retired despot, landlord and shitstirrer :deadhorse:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
No offence taken Dawg, just wondered if I'd inadvertently rattled your chain.  :thumbup:

I work for a large building society in the lending department, its currently in the middle of a big reorganisation so our roles are in flux at present - over the coming months we'll all be trained to handle mortgage loan applications from start to finish with our own lending mandate, from initial underwriting appraisal through to release of funds, at present there are several different teams handling different parts of the process. I just moved from the evening shift which process (initially approved in principle by an underwriter) applications according to lending criteria, scoring the application and producing a list of required info/documents which is transmitted to the broker. I'm now a case manager, handling the latter part of the process liaising with the customer/intermediaries/solicitors/valuers etc and assessing the required documents, reports, income calculations and so on. After upskilling all teams will be doing essentially the same job at varying skill levels.

Fascinating stuff I'm sure you'll agree. That's why I don't talk about my actual job much.  :lol1:

We grunts have to stick together!   :plus:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2015, 01:21:45 AM »

NO, I read it all.

It does not sound too bad, considering that grunt work could possibly involve "actual work."   :lol1:

My job has changed quite a bit from a couple of years ago, when I was the main Inventory Grand Master, in charge of receiving and dispersal of about forty thousand SKUs storewide.
I now am TeH Media Guru, only in charge of setting up, maintaining, re-stocking displays of movies, CDs and gaming software.
Not nearly as stressful on my "aging body"  as "actual work"  had tended to be.

:thumbup:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:24:47 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
mortgages tend to be less heavy than flat screen tv sets though.

the most physically strenuous my job gets is lugging my box files, fan etc from my locker to my desk on a morning.  :lol1:
arsebiscuits!

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »
Nobody asked for it, but I figured this was the best place to post what's going on in Dunc Towers lately. First off I'm now three weeks into my new role proper and its going really well - the hours suit me, nobody minds my Seasonal Affective Disorder lamp on a morning (though my immediate boss jokes its making her buzz her tits off, she's pretty hyper already lol), my new team are a friendly lot and I'm bedding in well, and they don't seem to mind that I vanish at lunchtime and don't want to come on team nights out. I'm happy this was the right move for me and that I can still 'swim' in such a busy working environment, that was really the purpose of my shadowing in the summer, to ensure the greater social/sensory demands of the job wouldn't blow my brains out. Some of the folk I have to deal with on the phone are a pain in the arse, and there is a gobshite on the bank of desks behind me who has a deeply annoying voice/speech pattern and she NEVER FUCKING SHUTS UP. I can live with this, as unless I'm covering 5-6 or working over I'm home with Mel and the kids at teatime every night. Still feels like a holiday.  :2thumbsup:

Mel isn't well still, sadly. She has good weeks and bad weeks, but she's doing her best - it doesn't feel good being unable to make everything okay and make her feel better but we're plodding on as best we can as a household. Xan doesn't like the routine of his new school and is a bit up and down, this has manifested itself in very obsessive, focused behaviour at home centred around computing, he sets himself a task or decides he wants a particular set up, whether this be configuring a bespoke search engine and embedding it in a new website, installing different versions of linux on new partitions, testing old versions of window to destruction on virtualbox , or today's unfortunate fixation, restoring our previous W7 environment from W10 'as was' with all save data, program setting etc after the rollback month has expired and the windows.old directory has been deleted, making anything other than a wipe and clean reinstall impossible. This hasn't been easy to live with as he gets quite abusive and stroppy when frustrated or we insist he packs in and goes to bed.

So things are still pretty chaotic. its still a cheerful pet shop/gaming haven though which helps, and I've finally started watching Breaking Bad on netflix, just finished season one. Why have I never watched this?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:21:34 PM by Lord of the Ales »
arsebiscuits!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2015, 06:04:16 PM »
Good to hear for you things are so much better. Having a fixed routine makes things so much easier. Having decent work times even better.
Give my best wishes to Mel. Hope she is good enough to do things she likes apart from getting through the days.
Good luck to both of you, dealing with an autistic teen in turmoil.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »
Nobody asked for it, but I figured this was the best place to post what's going on in Dunc Towers lately. First off I'm now three weeks into my new role proper and its going really well - the hours suit me, nobody minds my Seasonal Affective Disorder lamp on a morning (though my immediate boss jokes its making her buzz her tits off, she's pretty hyper already lol), my new team are a friendly lot and I'm bedding in well, and they don't seem to mind that I vanish at lunchtime and don't want to come on team nights out. I'm happy this was the right move for me and that I can still 'swim' in such a busy working environment, that was really the purpose of my shadowing in the summer, to ensure the greater social/sensory demands of the job wouldn't blow my brains out. Some of the folk I have to deal with on the phone are a pain in the arse, and there is a gobshite on the bank of desks behind me who has a deeply annoying voice/speech pattern and she NEVER FUCKING SHUTS UP. I can live with this, as unless I'm covering 5-6 or working over I'm home with Mel and the kids at teatime every night. Still feels like a holiday.  :2thumbsup:

Mel isn't well still, sadly. She has good weeks and bad weeks, but she's doing her best - it doesn't feel good being unable to make everything okay and make her feel better but we're plodding on as best we can as a household. Xan doesn't like the routine of his new school and is a bit up and down, this has manifested itself in very obsessive, focused behaviour at home centred around computing, he sets himself a task or decides he wants a particular set up, whether this be configuring a bespoke search engine and embedding it in a new website, installing different versions of linux on new partitions, testing old versions of window to destruction on virtualbox , or today's unfortunate fixation, restoring our previous W7 environment from W10 'as was' with all save data, program setting etc after the rollback month has expired and the windows.old directory has been deleted, making anything other than a wipe and clean reinstall impossible. This hasn't been easy to live with as he gets quite abusive and stroppy when frustrated or we insist he packs in and goes to bed.

So things are still pretty chaotic. its still a cheerful pet shop/gaming haven though which helps, and I've finally started watching Breaking Bad on netflix, just finished season one. Why have I never watched this?

Good thoughts to Mel and your son!     :plus:   As for tv watching it's all about what  interests your mind!   It doesn't interest me.   But, that's just me!   
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lord of the Ales

• Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Will work for beer
    • Last.fm thingy
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »
Thanks guys.  :)

I watch very little tv myself ozy - when I do it tends to be in the form of boxsets, big chunks of a show like Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones. Breaking Bad is one I'd been saving up until I had some evenings free so I could digest it in a few sessions.  :zoinks:
arsebiscuits!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »
Thanks guys.  :)

I watch very little tv myself ozy - when I do it tends to be in the form of boxsets, big chunks of a show like Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones. Breaking Bad is one I'd been saving up until I had some evenings free so I could digest it in a few sessions.  :zoinks:

I hear you!  That's what I have done lately.  Store up a few shows/movies and then indulge myself in marathon watching!    8)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2015, 11:17:47 PM »
You watch some cool stuff, Dunc.

So glad your work hours suit you now. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2015, 01:41:34 AM »
I'm glad the new role is working out for you.

What's wrong with Mel? :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein