Author Topic: Nepal Earthquake  (Read 787 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: Nepal Earthquake
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »
Christian Preacher Adds Insult to Injury with Nepal Tweet
April 26, 2015 by Hemant Mehta 378 Comments

Leave it to a Christian preacher to hear about a tragedy like the Nepal earthquake and respond with the most dickish prayer you’ll ever hear:

CNN ‏@CNN Apr 25

Powerful images of the devastation in Nepal. http://cnn.it/1E3BQZf  pic.twitter.com/83AYxdRWHO

.@CNN Praying 4 the lost souls in Nepal. Praying not a single destroyed pagan temple will b rebuilt & the people will repent/receive Christ.

Sure, the death toll is approaching 2,000, but if everyone else turns to Jesus, I guess it’ll all be worth it…

That preacher, Tony Miano, used to host a show with Ray Comfort called “On the Box.” So I guess saying idiotic things in the name of Jesus runs in his circle of friends.
Link

:zombiefuck:

:plus: to you for making this known.  This disgusts me to no end.   "Christian in name only", is what I would call this person.  And people wonder why I am a "zen-heathen". 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »
^
What a jerk.

Over 4000 dead now, and counting.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:34 PM »
UPDATE:
Nepal earthquake: Overall confirmed total across country is more than 4,000 dead and almost 7,000 injured, with officials saying about 100,000 people left homeless

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/27/nepal-earthquake-fears-grow-for-uncontacted-villages-as-more-than-3200-confirmed-dead?CMP=ema_565
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 06:08:19 PM »
Just a little more info about how and why it happened.

https://www.facebook.com/VOLCANOgroup/photos/pcb.10153295344999083/10153295344809083/?type=1&theater

I am afraid it's going to get worse, so many remote vulnerable villages that are still out of reach.   :'(
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 04:47:17 AM »
Just a little more info about how and why it happened.

https://www.facebook.com/VOLCANOgroup/photos/pcb.10153295344999083/10153295344809083/?type=1&theater

I am afraid it's going to get worse, so many remote vulnerable villages that are still out of reach.   :'(

:/

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »
As a self taught student of geology, seismology and volcanology.....allow me to offer this quote from a very wise man.

"Civilization exists by geologic consent......subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

This is the price we pay for living on a living planet.....this has been going on since the beginning of time and will be going on long after humankind has evolved or vanished from the face of the Earth.  And this is not the worst earthquake with casualties that has happened in that region.  1976......Tangshan, China.....750,000+ dead...and that is the estimate.  2004....Indonesia.....125,000+ dead in the Indian Ocean region...estimate.  3-4000 years ago...the Minoan civilization..wiped out.....Volcanic eruption, tsunami.  I grieve for the missing and dead in Nepal.  I have a dear friend with family in Nepal, just sent him my best thoughts and wishes!   :'(

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 07:44:41 PM »
As a self taught student of geology, seismology and volcanology.....allow me to offer this quote from a very wise man.

"Civilization exists by geologic consent......subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

This is the price we pay for living on a living planet.....this has been going on since the beginning of time and will be going on long after humankind has evolved or vanished from the face of the Earth.  And this is not the worst earthquake with casualties that has happened in that region.  1976......Tangshan, China.....750,000+ dead...and that is the estimate.  2004....Indonesia.....125,000+ dead in the Indian Ocean region...estimate.  3-4000 years ago...the Minoan civilization..wiped out.....Volcanic eruption, tsunami.  I grieve for the missing and dead in Nepal.  I have a dear friend with family in Nepal, just sent him my best thoughts and wishes!   :'(

My fear for the future are the artificially drawn borders across the world & between "properties". Eventually, populations need to move, and they cannot be treated as refugees forever. We are supposed to be able to adjust and migrate overtime. The earth both allows and necessitates this.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 08:10:07 PM »

My fear for the future are the artificially drawn borders across the world & between "properties". Eventually, populations need to move, and they cannot be treated as refugees forever. We are supposed to be able to adjust and migrate overtime. The earth both allows and necessitates this.

Agreed. 

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 01:46:18 AM »
UPDATE:
The death toll in the massive earthquake which struck Nepal on Saturday has passed 6,000, and many thousands are still unaccounted for.

A home ministry official said the 6,134 fatalities had been confirmed, with 13,906 injured.

Although the battered south Asian nation celebrated the rescue of two people pulled out alive from the wreckage of buildings in Kathmandu on Thursday, the sheer extent of the destruction is becoming clear.

Thousands of villages have been devastated, with up to 90% of clinics and schools in some districts rendered unusable.
Hundreds of thousands of people made homeless by the quake, which registered 7.8 magnitude, are yet to receive aid because of logistic bottlenecks, poor infrastructure and a chaotic government response.

Three thousand people are still unaccounted for in the badly hit Sindhupalchowk district, while little is known about northern areas of the Gorkha district where about 10,000 live. Local officials fear widespread destruction.

A local religious leader who had flown over the zone said people there were living in appalling conditions.

“There are still injured there who have not been treated. Whole villages are flattened. They need tents very badly,” Kempo Chimed Tsering said.

Kathmandu is slowly returning to normal with power supplies and communication networks restored to most of the city.

“I think it’s over now. I feel safe now,” said Vivek Ksimdung, 20, a student in the city.

However, many remain terrified of another tremor. Police have arrested two men for spreading rumours that a second major earthquake had been predicted. They will be charged with “inciting panic among the public”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/01/nepal-earthquake-death-toll-passes-6000-with-thousands-still-missing

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 12:07:43 PM »
Satellite data ... reveals a region 75 miles long by 30 miles wide lifted up by as much as three feet.

While the region around Kathmandu lifted up, Mount Everest and other tall peaks in the area dropped down by about one inch.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/earthquake-nepal-raised-kathmandu-and-lowered-mt-everest-180955143/?no-ist

Hannah

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
I am at a loss for words...my heart hurts at what other 'believers' say, on behalf of them sorry...we're not all that hurtful...if I could I'd go and help out with a one way ticket and not return...honestly the more I see the less connected to the net, media I want to be...

off topic but on sort of: twitter gone, been off face bleh for a while, good bye tumblr...I find perspective is more level if that makes sense without the instant response...sit back and think before the response is given...

this is an awful event...

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
Shit. I don't have TV, didn't even know there was an earthquake. Personally, it doesn't effect my life and I am sure another one will happen. Bah
:skywarp:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
A second Earthquake this year, 7.3 magnitude.

Just how much more bad news can one country take?

Shyam Balami cannot even contemplate the question when I find him sitting in a wheelchair outside Kathmandu’s teaching hospital.

His house, in a village in Nuwakot, in the foothills of the Himalayas outside Nepal’s capital, was destroyed in the last earthquake – or the “Great Quake” as Nepalese media has started calling it. He thought he had nothing left to lose. Only, it turns out, he was wrong. When a 7.3-magnitude earthquake struck on Tuesday, he was in the temporary shack he had painstakingly built out of salvaged materials to provide some sort of basic shelter for his wife and two children. It collapsed around him leaving his right leg shattered.

He’s not so much resigned as numb. “I don’t feel scared any more,” he says. “I have nothing left to lose.”

There are so many cruelties to the latest disaster: that the districts hit so badly last time have been hit again. That it’s the poorest, in remote rural areas, who can least afford it, who will suffer most. That circumstances that were already dire and desperate for so many people, have just got that little bit worse.

Or a lot worse, for some. Just off Durbar Square in Kathmandu, where another large chunk fell off the already half-collapsed Rana Palace, Sita Basnyet, 43, had been cooking when the quake struck. She ran out of the four-storey building, in which she lives, to see a house collapsing across the street and when I find her she’s sitting outside with her two children. “I have no idea where I will sleep tonight,” she says. “None.” She runs a street stall and rents a room but it was badly damaged in the last quake and it’s too dangerous to sleep in now.

Like many people who live in Kathmandu, her relatives live in the countryside in a village where she grew up. In her case Dolakha, the area that looks to have been worst affected and where both her parents and her parents-in-law still live. Both their houses are gone, she says. “My parents’ house was destroyed in the last quake. They were sleeping in the animal shed but now that’s gone too.”

There were about 300 houses in the village and 100 had been left standing – damaged, but standing – “and now they’ve gone too. Everything’s gone”.

Worse, her parents have told her there are “many, many people” injured in the next village.

The situation for so many people is beyond hopeless.

Nobody has any money to rebuild. Nobody has even the faintest sort of plan. How can you, without money, says Sita Basnyet.

What do you think you will do, in terms of the future, I ask her, and the crowd that has gathered around us erupts into laughter.

She throws her hands in the air and guffaws at the sheer stupidity of the question. “In terms of the future, I have no idea. I hope that God will take care of us. But to be honest, if there’s another earthquake we would rather be taken by God than left with this. Really, if it happens again, I pray God will take me.”

It’s taken so long for even the most rudimentary relief supplies to reach most areas that most people despair of there ever being any real aid. “Will this bring help for us?” she asks motioning at my notepad and I tell her that the British public – not the government - has sent more than £50m to help Nepal.

“It will never come to us. The politicians will get fat. They will repair their homes and send their children to private schools and none of it will come down to us. That is how it is. We all know that,” she says. I try to say that I don’t think it will be the case with this, but she interrupts me. “No. This is how it is,” she says.

READ MORE: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/12/we-have-nothing-survivors-of-nepals-second-quake-left-beyond-hopeless