Educational

Author Topic: baltimore (and everywhere else)  (Read 5230 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: baltimore (and everywhere else)
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 09:19:39 PM »
]Guess what?  The rioters are from a rich country, too.  Why can't they check their own privilege?

In rich countries the civilly unrested spice their rioting up with looting.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »
In poor countries they don't?  :P
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 08:43:56 AM »
WolFish understands.  I'm kind of surprised that not everyone else does.  Sure, everyone here is white and from a rich country, but everyone is also a spazz.  There is no spazz privilege.  Some of you appear to be "out", and thus genuinely stigmatized.
Guess what?  The rioters are from a rich country, too.  Why can't they check their own privilege?

Couldn't possibly begin to explain it to you Dexter.

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 08:44:46 AM »
Sure, everyone here is white
That's incorrect.

Clearly I don't know EVERYBODY, so everyone was an overbroad statement.

Hannah

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »
off topic but sort of on topic...

why in general are people so uptight these days? I mean wut?

You all here are pretty laid back...auties need to rule the world or something, or people just need to chill their wills...

*scratches boobs*  :headhurts:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
Rioters are so dumb ... they burn their own houses down!

I am so tired of that trope.  Thank all the gods that you grew up a white girl in a first world country so you never found yourself in a situation where burning down your own community seemed like a plausible reaction to the insurmountable systemic problems you faced.

+

Rioters are a riot.

well...I have been to a 3rd world country (China) and helped folks there(I want to go back at some point and help again because I love helping out people)...

and I have a big heart, and honestly (reading civil disobedience good read highly recommend) if that is the reason for saying someone takes for granted xyz then it's a poorly founded argument to have...

personally I stay off the net (novel idea eh?) and read more, get out more, help people more and stay informed to a degree, but I am less impressed with myself the older I get

I make a difference where I can, and fart in the general direction of those that can destroy things just because they feel an itch to do so...

Leave your bit coins at the door, I have no use for them

Huh? ???
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
WolFish understands.  I'm kind of surprised that not everyone else does.  Sure, everyone here is white and from a rich country, but everyone is also a spazz.  There is no spazz privilege.  Some of you appear to be "out", and thus genuinely stigmatized.
Guess what?  The rioters are from a rich country, too.  Why can't they check their own privilege?

Rich country does not mean rich people.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »

In a way it does. Poor by western standards probably isn't considered poor in other places. Thinking once read there's more people in the world with cell phones than indoor plumbing. Outside of actual hungry people, not certain what even defines poor.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »
You all here are pretty laid back...
Most here seem fairly uptight to me. :laugh:

That's incorrect.

Clearly I don't know EVERYBODY, so everyone was an overbroad statement.
Pay attention.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 05:02:34 PM »
That's incorrect.

That is correct that that incorrect statement is not correct.

Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »
correct is a funny word...  :apondering:
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
In poor countries they don't?  :P
Hush, I'm trying to inspire Dexter.  :zoinks:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
Huh? ???
Babbling off topic is a clever debate strategy.  :zoinks: Seriously though, I don't see why she wont defend that stance. Heck even I've said stuff like that on this forum before, called rioters stupid, called them fucking animals. No one contradicted me at the time, but if anyone did I'd say yeah, that's my gut reaction to watching people who look like stupid fucking animals to me, and if I feel any real sympathy it's for the people who didn't do anything to anyone other than be in the wrong place and yet have to suffer the damages. Sure, logically I know there's a lot more to it than that, but as far as raw emotional reaction goes I agree with Hannah.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »

In a way it does. Poor by western standards probably isn't considered poor in other places. Thinking once read there's more people in the world with cell phones than indoor plumbing. Outside of actual hungry people, not certain what even defines poor.

I've seen people without homes or food, and I think they meet the criteria for poor.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »

Cell phones are easy,   indoor plumbing can be a bitch and is a lot more infrastructure.  My brother told me when he got back from India that poor people in this country have no idea just how good they have it compared to what he saw there.  I have heard pretty much the same from people who came to this country as refugees from various countries in Africa.   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw