0 (0%)
Not sure (aged less than 40)
0 (0%)
No (aged less than 40)
3 (37.5%)
It depends how much you're paying.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Exericise Intolerance (incoroprating personal history and NHS rant)  (Read 625 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Exericise Intolerance (incoroprating personal history and NHS rant)
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 06:00:23 PM »
Hyke? I was just wondering if my post on the headache shoulda gone here instead, when you responded

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,14058.msg1069808.html#msg1069808

Now what intersts me here is that Trigeminal Neuralgia  is aparently pretty rare. It's definintely rare for the onset to be early (like mid-twenties, in my case) It usually starts in middle-age , or later.

So of course I started wondering if there might be a link between TN and MD, and when I checked it out,I found   there is a bit of evidence to that effect.  Though that whole field is under-reseached ofc.

What's more, our TN is atypical, though mine started out as pretty typical.

I think I might start another poll to see how many I2 members have TN . Seriously.

I know a few people with TN problems, or with a facial tic related to it. For at least two of them it started at a very young age. For others it was something triggered by tooth problems. For my ex it was a one time only event, after a not so careful dental surgical treatment.

Maybe in this other poll you could ask about problems with the peripheral nervous system, to widen it to more than only TN.

More than happy for you to do the other poll. So long as TN only comes out as an option. Other peripheral nervous system issues are so common, they would overwhelm the TN data otherwise.

It would also be interesting, of course, to get an idea of how many had early onset TN. (I think that includes yourself?)

EDIT:oops I didn't mean "TN only" I meant ....gah, you know what I meant. Too much faceache to think straight ATM. :(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:05:32 PM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 06:33:39 PM »
I do OK with exercise under the right circumstances (because of the asthma, I'll probably never be a runner- it's mild at this point but it's still there), but I do find I crash out pretty badly afterward.  Eating soon after *helps* but doesn't fix.

I've been generally very worried about my energy levels, not just related to exercise.  Some kind of MD is something I don't think I've looked into yet.  I've gotten better without gluten, but I still feel like I'm not right, and I still feel like "it's depression" isn't an OK explanation.  I'd be less depressed if I had the energy to do things in the first place.

Hey PMS :)
Yeah, it does very sound like it's worth looking into.
"...aging and animal model studies have revealed that mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress are involved and play a large role in asthma" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3066010/

Eating soon after *helps* but doesn't fix.
I find that eating before and during helps more. I don't do anything approximating to exercise until I've eaten, and waited for 30 minutes or so for the sugar to get into my bloodstream.  I also carry a packet of sugary sweets everywhere I go, to top up my energy, as necessary.   I often forget to suck them though, cos I just don't have that much of a sweet tooth.
Incredibly, I'm losing weight for the first time in years since starting on an extremely low fat/ high carb diet .  It definiely suits me.

I didn't have a great deal of choice in the matter, mind.  My body now objects emphatically to the smallest amount of addded fat or oil in my food, as well as all of the naturally fatty foods.  That might be due, at least partly, to gallstones, but it's probably all interconnected.

I've gotten better without gluten, but I still feel like I'm not right

Same, with knobs on.

I thought I'd cracked all my health problems when I went gluten-free. But that only lasted for a couple of years, before it all flooded back, together with another thing; and another thing, and...
But I still stay away from gluten, cos that  makes things even wosre.

I still feel like "it's depression" isn't an OK explanation.  I'd be less depressed if I had the energy to do things in the first place.

Amen to that! I want a giant sized poster with those words on.   :plus:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »
Not intolerant; just lazy.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 11:40:28 PM »
Trying to play catch up with this thread now.

Did a bit of reading on MC last night...interesting, especially when I look back at the problems in the family as well.

Lost my dad at age 50...heart failure, episodes of tachycardia all his life they blew off as anxiety attacks from a damaged heart valve finally wore his heart out in the end. Lost mom at 65 to vascular disease and renal failure. Many others in the extended family gone too soon as well...heart disease, blood disorders, etc.

Had pre-eclampsia with my son at 6 months, came close to losing kidney function and losing him as well.

Not sure if checking into it would be worth the hassle though at present unless I stumble upon someone that knows about it, healthcare being what it is around here I'm sure to get a blank stare and a script for Wellbutrin.

Changes...I eat better, less processed stuff, more veggies, less meat, try to avoid sugar (impossible some days :LOL:), less dairy (haven't been able to cut it out completely, even though I am mildly allergic, but then I am allergic to quite a lot of stuff I can't avoid).  Chemicals...bleach, perfume, air fresheners, hair spray, febreze...all asthma triggers...just about 85% of anything that has a scent probably. Gotten better to the point where I can tolerate some for a period of time now and don't start to wheeze at one whiff anymore thankfully. 

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 01:25:19 AM »
There are myelin issue theories, both for autism and for TN btw.
And for MS . Also beginning to be inked with MD.
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphys.2013.00169/abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2790545/

Any good links to the myelin/autism thing? Doesn't surprise me in the least, but first I heard of that one.

Been a long time since I read on that, so googled.[url http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/toolbox/2014/method-reveals-thin-insulation-on-neurons-in-autism-brains]Here's are results of an MRI test.[/url]
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2015, 01:30:01 AM »
It would also be interesting, of course, to get an idea of how many had early onset TN. (I think that includes yourself?)

EDIT:oops I didn't mean "TN only" I meant ....gah, you know what I meant. Too much faceache to think straight ATM. :(

Don't know when it is considered to be early. I was around 40 when it became a thing regularly happening. My middle brother had massive facial twitches stemming from the same major nerve from childhood age on. Met more people with that. My brother was the exception of having the twitches without the nerve pain. For him it almost completely vanished somewhere in his twenties. On very rare occasions a hint of what it once was can be seen.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!