Educational

Author Topic: Arthur C Clark, prophet.  (Read 562 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Arthur C Clark, prophet.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
2001 is awesome, one of my all-time favourites.

I think it could all have happened by now if the US hadn't decided to shrink NASA's budget and refocus what remains every few years. The technology to establish a moon base is there, and there is an orbiting space station, but the focus has been elsewhere.

And there is Virgin Galactic, that will bring spaceflight to the masses at some point.

Yes, blame the US. :P I don't see Sweden planning a moon base. :hahaha:

I think NASA should be a globally funded program.  :orly:

You do know that there are other space agencies, right?

Sure, but you were the one faulting NASA in particular. I still think space exploration should be a global effort, so that would make all space stations belonging to the same agency. A new name would be in order. We could still call it NASA though if you need to mock it.  :zoinks:

I'm not mocking NASA. Whatever gave you that idea? I'm saying that their budget has been refocussed too many times. How are they supposed to plan ahead when their goals are being redefined every couple of years?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »
Oh, and Semi: remind me. How are astronauts transported to the International Space Station, currently? :zoinks:

In Volvos?  :zoinks:

Sort of.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
Oh, and Semi: remind me. How are astronauts transported to the International Space Station, currently? :zoinks:

:trollface:

How did the International Space Station get into space? :zoinks:

In pieces. Why?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 08:19:21 AM »

:trollface:

How did the International Space Station get into space? :zoinks:

In pieces. Why?

Just checking. :police:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
I'm hoping that something will happen to revive the interest in space exploration. IMHO the shuttle was a step in the right direction, but it should never have been the only step in terms of human exploration.

- Albert Einstein

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 04:24:19 PM »
I'm hoping that something will happen to revive the interest in space exploration. IMHO the shuttle was a step in the right direction, but it should never have been the only step in terms of human exploration.

Shit ... can't remember how to embed YouTube
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:40:18 PM by Possum »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
Mars One is not a realistic project. They don't have the resources to do it. A part of me is rooting for them, but another is thinking "idiots".

It's a very good example of (or it will be, given some time) why a Mars mission takes something like NASA, especially NASA as it was in the 60s and early 70s. Not a bunch of eager amateurs.

- Albert Einstein

Offline MLA

• Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
Mars One is not a realistic project. They don't have the resources to do it. A part of me is rooting for them, but another is thinking "idiots".

It's a very good example of (or it will be, given some time) why a Mars mission takes something like NASA, especially NASA as it was in the 60s and early 70s. Not a bunch of eager amateurs.

I agree they are all going to die horribly, and nowhere near Mars.  But they do represent an "interest in space exploration" as misguided as it may be.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
Just to pick one single example: radiation. There's the intense radiation they will face while getting there. Then there's the radiation on the surface. The Mars atmosphere is quite thin and there's no real van Allen belt equivalent to protect them once there. The way I see it, the would-be Martians will be glowing in the dark long before they have managed to protect their settlement against the environment.

But most likely no one will die because they won't ever lift off.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 10:26:11 PM »
I'm not mocking NASA. Whatever gave you that idea? I'm saying that their budget has been refocussed too many times. How are they supposed to plan ahead when their goals are being redefined every couple of years?

I'm just giving you a hard time, I realize you were taking a shot at the US.  :M

Shit ... can't remember how to embed YouTube

Remove the s from https. :hitler:
:gopher:

Offline MLA

• Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 04:39:56 PM »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 02:30:07 AM »

I'm just giving you a hard time, I realize you were taking a shot at the US.  :M

Sheesh. I'm taking a shot at the changing policies, not at the country. FFS, stop being so sensitive.

- Albert Einstein