Educational

Author Topic: Making up a new religion  (Read 831 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Making up a new religion
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 06:36:08 PM »

It's someone else's turn. Besides, I want to hear more about Odeon's Great Expectation, at this point. To me it seems as if most poeple are already following some version of religion which includes no accounting for their actions in the future.

Basically, in another hundred billion years or so, the bigots won't be held accountable for their lies and deceits.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2006, 07:03:13 PM »

It's someone else's turn. Besides, I want to hear more about Odeon's Great Expectation, at this point. To me it seems as if most poeple are already following some version of religion which includes no accounting for their actions in the future.

Basically, in another hundred billion years or so, the bigots won't be held accountable for their lies and deceits.

That should be very popular, with the bigots. Make it retroactive to include all previous lies and deceits and you will have quite a following, Messiah.

:laugh:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 08:54:11 PM »
It's definitely retroactive. There won't be a single complaint. Not one. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 01:33:18 PM »
Until you find me a molecule that goes from having temperature to not having temperature, or moving to not moving, I am going to call absolute 0 impossible.  And no matter how far apart shit flies and no matter how cold it gets, there will be shit.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006, 07:13:40 PM »
Thermodynamics are easier to apply when you have molecular bindings left. Which you won't have. Absolute zero won't happen, though, but we'll get pretty damn near.

- Albert Einstein

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 11:13:48 PM »
I watched National Geographic last night, and there was a documentary on Big Bang and whether or not the universe was expanding or if there was enough mass to start pulling all the matter back together. Turns out the universe is accelerating and in a hundred billion years or so, it's all going to be empty and dead. No galaxies, no stars, nothing producing anything. There won't be ANYTHING left.

Base a new religion on that. Great expectations, eh?

What do you mean by the universe accelerating?  ???

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 11:32:18 PM »
I do like some of the Christian ideas (such as being generous, forgiving, and helping others), but I agree that most of the stories suck. I also think Christianity can be pretty hypocritical. (Thou shalt not kill- but Capital Punishment is fine and it's okay to go to war) If I were to make a religion, it would be mostly about peace. Murder in the name of a god and participating in war would be two no-no's that would be clearly stated. That's a flaw with the Christian system, IMO. A lot of Christians are pro-war and historically slaughtered those who were non-Christians. We've also got extremist Muslims killing in the name of Allah. My religion would also be very open to homosexuality and bisexuality, unlike christianity.

I might add more later. 

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 05:18:50 AM »
I watched National Geographic last night, and there was a documentary on Big Bang and whether or not the universe was expanding or if there was enough mass to start pulling all the matter back together. Turns out the universe is accelerating and in a hundred billion years or so, it's all going to be empty and dead. No galaxies, no stars, nothing producing anything. There won't be ANYTHING left.

Base a new religion on that. Great expectations, eh?

What do you mean by the universe accelerating?  ???

Big Bang tells us that the universe was once a great big ball of energy, mass, and all that, but the ball exploded and the universe started to expand. Stars formed, galaxies formed, etc, and the universe continued expanding.

The big question now is if there's enough mass in the universe for the gravitational pull to do its thing and start pulling all this expanding mass back together. There are three theories: 1, there is more than enough, so the universe starts contracting and eventually, it will again be a great big ball of mass, energy, etc. 2, there is just enough to stop the expansion and create an equilibrium. The universe will stop expanding, but there is not enough mass to pull it all back to that big ball.

And 3, there isn't enough mass, and the universe continues expanding, and will in fact accelerate. Eventually, the stars and the galaxies will be so far apart that we'll be practically alone. But the expansion won't stop there because eventually, the stars die, everything dies, and things won't be able to hold together, at all, down to and including molecular level.

Right now, it looks like alternative 3 is what we're facing. It all depends if there is more mass in the universe than we can observe. There is some, it seems, but not nearly enough.

All this is an ugly approximation, however, and we need quite a bit of mathematics to get a better look. Intensity isn't the right place for the math, though, so I'll refrain.

- Albert Einstein

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 08:26:23 PM »
ohhh...i see...thanks :)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 08:32:36 PM »
I figure that no matter how cold and slow it gets, since particles exert force on each other, life could exist.  Not as we know it, but molecules existing as particles million miles apart, cells made of zillions of these huge mostly empty molecules, nerves whose action potentials take eons to "fire".  But for them, it would be moving as fast as time ever does.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

ozymandias

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 09:24:48 PM »
Hail to me for I have created the ultimate church for the 21st century.....It shall be called the "Church of the poisoned mind" with Emo Eamonn as head Dick.  Yadda yadda yadda, sis boom bah, kiss my ASs rah rah rah! :wanker:

Eamonn

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2007, 10:52:30 AM »
No takers as of yet. Bloody unbelievers and heathens the lot of em. :'(

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 10:57:04 AM »
What new religion. ;D