Educational

Author Topic: Individuals vs Group  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Individuals vs Group
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
Any group that has a prohibition against bacon has some serious issues :zoinks:

It's the candy bar of meats.  :thumbup:
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2015, 11:46:19 PM »
This is not humanity's finest hour. :(

When has humanity had a good hour, exactly?  :headhurts:

I think we had a couple of minutes around 1981 or so.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2015, 11:50:38 PM »
I can not imagine a single group that will have no absurd and violent members.

Islam specifically encourages it though.

Really? I notice how you've still not replied to my earlier post, so would you mind addressing both this and that earlier one?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2015, 11:52:40 PM »
Certainly not, but if groups actually want to be disassociated from their own vigilante terrorists, then the leaders of those groups have to do something about it, other than simply saying, we do not support... because that's seldom easy to believe.

And who are the leaders, in this case?

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2015, 11:56:11 PM »

Really? I notice how you've still not replied to my earlier post, so would you mind addressing both this and that earlier one?

I know I shouldn't be replying to my own thread, but please reply using your own words rather than a video.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2015, 05:54:38 AM »
Certainly not, but if groups actually want to be disassociated from their own vigilante terrorists, then the leaders of those groups have to do something about it, other than simply saying, we do not support... because that's seldom easy to believe.

The 'organizations' making official public statements, in your original post.

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2015, 07:23:48 AM »

Oxford University Debate on Islam

An Oxford University debate on Islam, without Christopher Hitchens, isn't a real Oxford University debate.   :M

Christopher Hitchens is dead you fool.  :'(

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »

So, following your logic, if this had been the good ole middle ages, the local priests in Sweden and England should have done something about the Spanish Inquisition?

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2015, 10:34:28 AM »
Apparently Charlie Hebdo is about to publish a new issue. One million copies. :viking:

They are going to include new caricatures of Mohammad, too. Brave.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »

After reading it, I came to the conclusion that it's one of 2 things.  1) a piece of deloberate sophistry you posted as a test to see how much of it I could refute.  or  2) something I said triggered your psychological defense mechanisms and it's always a waste of time to argue with a persons defense mechanisms.

Either way, I see nothing to be gained by responding. By defending religious psychopathy, you've bet on the wrong horse. It's that simple.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »

So, following your logic, if this had been the good ole middle ages, the local priests in Sweden and England should have done something about the Spanish Inquisition?

Didn't realize that's what was being discussed, but sure why not, the queen led it, while the pope initially tried to stop it and then changed his mind. They were both influential and causational, but this isn't a situation of the Church being in a position of apposing a ruling government, so difficult to compare. The government isn't trying to prevent the Islamic church from taking a stand against their own extremist folowers. People in positions of power are the only ones with the power to do anything, except for maybe the general public turning vigilante and rioting in the streets. If organizational leaders aren't willing to lead organizations in the direction they publicly claim to be leading them, then it's left to the public to determine if what's being said is actually what's being done.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:10:52 PM by Jack »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »
Didn't realize that's what was being discussed, but sure why not, the queen led it, while the pope initially tried to stop it and then changed his mind. They were both influential and causational, but this isn't a situation of the Church being in a position of apposing a ruling government, so difficult to compare. The government isn't trying to prevent the Islamic church from taking a stand against their own extremist folowers. People in positions of power are the only ones with the power to do anything, except for maybe the general public turning vigilante and rioting in the streets. If organizational leaders aren't willing to lead organizations in the direction they publicly claim to be leading them, then it's left to the public to determine if what's being said is actually what's being done.

Let it go, Jack.  >:( The PC response is the only response ever acceptable in this type of conversation. *wrings hands* Oh my, what a tradgedy, two wrongs don't make a right, how equally horrible for both sides. *cowers and hides from it all* You know that's all you're going to do anyway, so there's no real point in having an opinion for or against either side of the situation, sucker.  :hahaha:
:gopher:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2015, 07:29:34 PM »
What has the world and society come to? :M

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »

Given the state of communications and travel in that time period I would say that is not a very good example
Also the human rights aspect was not even though of yet back then to any extent.  Comparing different time periods in this way is almost  always flawed by the differences in culture between them  :nerdy:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
Given the state of communications and travel in that time period I would say that is not a very good example
Also the human rights aspect was not even though of yet back then to any extent.  Comparing different time periods in this way is almost  always flawed by the differences in culture between them  :nerdy:

Meh, nothing wrong with changing the subject, but don't see this as a situation of crimes of church leaders inspired by the government, or lower level church leaders possibly doing something about the atrocities of higher level church leaders. It's about shepherds leading their own sheep.