Author Topic: Individuals vs Group  (Read 2030 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Individuals vs Group
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 05:54:31 PM »
Maybe believing that their god is strong enough to live through a joke without believers taking up guns in defense?

Fanatics turning to violence because of their beliefs, to me it reads as people not having enough confidence in the greatness of their god.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 05:57:18 PM »
Maybe believing that their god is strong enough to live through a joke without believers taking up guns in defense?

Fanatics turning to violence because of their beliefs, to me it reads as people not having enough confidence in the greatness of their god.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting I believe that, or them. I'm having trouble believing it at the moment.   :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 06:04:21 PM »

I'm not sure if you're suggesting I believe that, or them. I'm having trouble believing it at the moment.   :dunno:

Noooooh, not saying you believe that.

Meant that I don't get why someone would grab a gun or a sword or whatever to defend a god from a joke. If vengeance was necessary, why not rely on the supreme being to make justice happen? It's weird how so often a sense of humour is not attributed to the divine. 

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 06:12:03 PM »
Oh, okay, I get it, and yeah, they should be like modern day Christians. Christians are comfortable enough in their knowledge I'm going to burn in hell, that that don't mind if I mock jesus every now and then.  :green:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:24 PM »
Maybe in bad taste, but the timing was impeccable.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 10:30:45 PM »
Oh, okay, I get it, and yeah, they should be like modern day Christians. Christians are comfortable enough in their knowledge I'm going to burn in hell, that that don't mind if I mock jesus every now and then.  :green:

Yeah. I thought what you said was ridiculous. As if the only alternatives to do towards someone who feels offended, god or otherwise, is to satirize them or cower to them.

I support the right to mock things and publish cartoons about them, all that's part of free speech. I don't support murdering artists.

I also don't support simplistic thinking.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 03:52:34 AM »

I'm not that positive about categories like Christians and Atheists either.

Day before the attack in Paris papers here were about fans of a political party summoning people to bomb and burn mosques. (No official party members, but people affiliating themselves with that party)
Party consists of Atheists, Christians and such.

I can not imagine a single group that will have no absurd and violent members.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 04:12:08 AM »
So what are people supposed to do then? Cower to them and their offended god?  >:(

Do you really think that the only possible alternatives are to either cower to them or draw offending images?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 04:15:39 AM »

Yeah. I thought what you said was ridiculous. As if the only alternatives to do towards someone who feels offended, god or otherwise, is to satirize them or cower to them.

I support the right to mock things and publish cartoons about them, all that's part of free speech. I don't support murdering artists.

Exactly.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 06:23:23 AM »
This is not humanity's finest hour. :(

When has humanity had a good hour, exactly?  :headhurts:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 07:22:16 AM »

I didn't intend the only alternative is to cowering is to satirize them, but to stop satirizing them for fear of death is in fact cowering. I also have trouble criticizing a public reaction to people being murdered. It's not simplistic thinking, it's emotional, and I don't believe one has anything to do with the other. This isn't about thinking sensibly, not about governments or politics, it's a matter of the general public standing up and saying enough is enough. When that little town in Missouri was burning to the ground, I thought the rioters were in the wrong in their reaction, acting like stupid animals attacking people who had nothing to do with it, but I still feel wrong to criticize it like that. I know the circumstances of the two situations are different, but if the mosques of Paris were ablaze over this, I would see it as very similar.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 07:51:34 AM »
So what are people supposed to do then? Cower to them and their offended god?  >:(

Do you really think that the only possible alternatives are to either cower to them or draw offending images?

For people who want to and actually do draw offending images, yeah, cowering seems to be the only other alternative when they're being killed for it. Me, I'd probably just cower to it because I'm a paranoid coward and idea people wanting to harm or kill me over stupid shit really scares me and freaks me out.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
People willing to use force over speech are faggots, either way. Enjoy some pictures, guys. I've been plastering them around all over the place.
I will never stop...

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »
"so you can hate me hating your hate while you hate"  :lol1:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 10:20:31 AM »
 :viking: To hell with radical pissants. They can try and murder a bunch of people to make a difference, which is horrible and tragic. But I would rather not give them the power they desire. There are billions of people they didn't manage to kill, muslims included who think the people who did that are monsters.

I say be as disrespectful as humanly possible.
I will never stop...