Educational

Author Topic: People who suddenly "find religion"  (Read 2310 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: People who suddenly "find religion"
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 07:11:11 AM »
Fear of mortality.
That's a good one. Always thought it more to do with absolution, in the case of Christianity anyway. There's some wrongs that can't be righted. Absolution has always seemed such a foreign concept, unable to be grasped, or understand why anyone would even want it.

I know people who are terrified of mortality because of being religious, and those who are terrified not being religious. Religion does not solve the fear if the fear is part of the individual.

Absolution, at it's best it is a kick in the ass, to not get wallow in self pity after fucking things up beyond repair. Get over it, make amends where you can, and try to do better. At worst, it is used as a way to get away with murder and more, and in the end buy your righteousness.

Both wanting absolution and fear of mortality might be reason to suddenly become religious I guess.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 03:37:21 PM »
Some people I've noticed become their parents and find religion after they have kids because they feel some strange moral obligation to have to teach their kids the same stuff they had to sit through.

Some seem to turn to it out of fear after a health scare, or out of comfort after there is no one left or life hits them broadside.

SO found religion after his health scare, and I have no problem with it as long as he doesn't inflict it on anyone who doesn't want to hear it. If it brings him comfort, that's good.

I find myself doing some of the same little  :voodoo: stuff mom used to do now that she is gone...sometimes it brings me comfort. I keep to myself about it, and I haven't sacrificed any of the neighbors chickens.

Whatever gets you through the night. :dunno:

Hannah

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
I have always been a Jesus freak and not afraid of what others thought of it...I learned much of what I knew through actual studying of the word different languages different interpretations etc. And the accounts in the bible themselves are not fairy tails as there are other books outside of Christianity that point to the validity of them...I do think however that my recent bout with the 'dark night of the soul' if you will caused me to question and even rant and rail at God...He was surprisingly not surprised by my language and or my being upset at him indirectly or directly...He isn't strictly male ether, for God is Spirit I've found and has many female attributes as well which most unless they take the time to bother to get to know God won't find out...

It's hard to put into written form but He has gone from head knowledge to heart and head and it is there in that aspect I kid you not He finds me not the other way around...It's more like 'Oh hey Hannah' then anything and like any friendship all he wants are folks to get to know Him as a being just for Him not what He can do or lack of it etc...

He became my Lord the Lover of my soul when I had no one and I mean no one else to turn to...I stand on this foundation more then a feeling because I still wouldn't be cutting free if I didn't know the Lord (some stop and struggle with it and honestly I still struggle with the idea) but right away I talk to God just like I'm typing to you all now, and that 'way of escape' that is spoken of comes when one just is honest with God with no hidden agendas...I've found God has made autuies to be more this way then any other humans I've come into contact with and for that I find it refreshing...

It took a divine creative brain to devise the uniqueness of each of you here, it's not by chance...and it's one of the many reasons I love Him so is because I see Him His qualities in each of you... :yarly:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:59:10 PM »
I suppose I got a Christian upbringing, mostly because everyone else did. I even went to Sunday school for a little while, but that didn't last all that long for me. We came to an understanding rather quickly. :zoinks:

When I became a parent, I saw no need for my kids to go through the same thing. My wife did to some extent, mostly out of tradition, but this one I rather effectively vetoed. I want my kids to think for themselves.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 06:55:13 AM »
As an atheist, I do respect the comfort religion and being a part of a church community can give some people... but I find it kind of unsettling, in principal, to contemplate how much of an impact religion has on... well, everything, but especially politics here in the US.  So many bad national decisions have been made based on what I kinda view as a giant shared delusion.  It's creepy.

I know this sounds horrible but I give no more weight to prayers than I do self-improvement mantras, casting spells, or anything similar. I see it all as terribly quaint and endearing. They go inside a building, Sit down have someone tell stories to them give some pat advice, they act impressed, they sing a few songs and cast a few spells and file out maybe have small talk and something to eat and go home.

No issue.....until it becomes an issue. then it is no longer quaint.
I agree with odeon.  Doesn't sound horrible to me.

When people on fb post things asking for their flist to pray for them (when this most often comes up), I always feel awkward- I want to give support, but what they're asking for is something I believe in as little as I believe in casting a magic spell (which is what they really want, anyway).  If I want to respond to something like that to show support I typically say I will be keeping them in my thought.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 06:16:17 PM »
Fear of mortality.
That's a good one. Always thought it more to do with absolution, in the case of Christianity anyway. There's some wrongs that can't be righted. Absolution has always seemed such a foreign concept, unable to be grasped, or understand why anyone would even want it.

Absolution is useful if there is an afterlife and if there are less than attractive alternatives to it.
It would be useful even without afterlife, but they do go nicely together, yes.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:23 AM »
As an atheist, I do respect the comfort religion and being a part of a church community can give some people... but I find it kind of unsettling, in principal, to contemplate how much of an impact religion has on... well, everything, but especially politics here in the US.  So many bad national decisions have been made based on what I kinda view as a giant shared delusion.  It's creepy.

I know this sounds horrible but I give no more weight to prayers than I do self-improvement mantras, casting spells, or anything similar. I see it all as terribly quaint and endearing. They go inside a building, Sit down have someone tell stories to them give some pat advice, they act impressed, they sing a few songs and cast a few spells and file out maybe have small talk and something to eat and go home.

When people on fb post things asking for their flist to pray for them (when this most often comes up), I always feel awkward- I want to give support, but what they're asking for is something I believe in as little as I believe in casting a magic spell (which is what they really want, anyway).  If I want to respond to something like that to show support I typically say I will be keeping them in my thought.

It's more or less what I say, too. What I sometimes would like to say is that I'll sacrifice to the gods and read the innards of the neighbour's dog to make sure things go their way, but I suspect that may be counter-productive.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »
Fear of mortality.

Absolution is useful if there is an afterlife and if there are less than attractive alternatives to it.

Absolution without afterlife is a useless concept. Forgiveness, on the other hand, applies to the living. That, and a good alibi.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 12:25:19 AM »

It's more or less what I say, too. What I sometimes would like to say is that I'll sacrifice to the gods and read the innards of the neighbour's dog to make sure things go their way, but I suspect that may be counter-productive.
:lol1:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 03:05:49 AM »
Interesting, thing is that both my kids believe in God and all of that. I again have no issue. In fact, I took my daughter to church the other day. While she did her thing, I did the shopping and picked her up after. The Minister asked if I was interested in joining her and I said, "Not in the slightest mate, I am an Atheist. She seems to like it though". He looked a touch confused

For anyone who cares, it is a VERY progressive church (Social activism, Gays allowed in the church and in the clergy, etc).. As far as churches go it is really ahead of the curve and quite accepting. Personally, I think that this is a GREAT move for them. They are almost keeping up with Australian society that is quickly outgrowing the need for Christian churches. In Australia, i would reckon that 15% are religious, but non-Christian, 15% are Practicing Christians, and 20% are sort of Christians (that is believe in something spiritual and God-ish and yeah maybe Jesus was around....)but NOT practicing

I was not raised with any religious influence. I had no idea what people did in church, who around us was religious or what religious beliefs were.

I turned out alright...????   :hahaha: :autism: 
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 03:15:22 AM »
Interesting, thing is that both my kids believe in God and all of that. I again have no issue. In fact, I took my daughter to church the other day. While she did her thing, I did the shopping and picked her up after. The Minister asked if I was interested in joining her and I said, "Not in the slightest mate, I am an Atheist. She seems to like it though". He looked a touch confused

For anyone who cares, it is a VERY progressive church (Social activism, Gays allowed in the church and in the clergy, etc).. As far as churches go it is really ahead of the curve and quite accepting. Personally, I think that this is a GREAT move for them. They are almost keeping up with Australian society that is quickly outgrowing the need for Christian churches. In Australia, i would reckon that 15% are religious, but non-Christian, 15% are Practicing Christians, and 20% are sort of Christians (that is believe in something spiritual and God-ish and yeah maybe Jesus was around....)but NOT practicing

I was not raised with any religious influence. I had no idea what people did in church, who around us was religious or what religious beliefs were.

I turned out alright...????   :hahaha: :autism:

Oldest child was drawn to Christianity at a very early age. Let her make her own way too. Wasn't raised in the church, but that was more circumstantial; mom tried as more of a effort to fit into the community, but made to feel unwelcome. She made no effort to teach me, so learned about it on my own.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 03:19:22 AM »
Fear of mortality.

Absolution without afterlife is a useless concept. Forgiveness, on the other hand, applies to the living. That, and a good alibi.

Absolution is freedom from personal guilt, and a very powerful concept on its own. People need to be forgiven; that's why they apologize and seek forgiveness. In some circumstances, jesus is the only one available to accept the apology. Personally prefer to own my own guilt so not saying absolution is a rational concept, only useful.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 03:36:48 AM »
I DO think the kind of Absolution From Jesus for the sin of forefathers, as a result of him being crucified to death is rather ugly.
What I mean is that it is him excusing me and everyone for crimes we did not commit, but were soiled by, and who asked him anyhow, and what "extra" benefit is conferred by his "sacrifice"?
I mean if he wanted us all to be "cured" from this inherited sin, then why not freely give it?
The answer HAS to relate to the fact that they were all primitive tribal people not THAT far removed in culture as to be the animal sacrificing and blood sacrificing tribes of old, to know the importance of blood and live sacrificing.
We do not intuitively understand this on the same level in the way that they would not understand the internet or car or whatever.
They were not likely still doing these kinds of practices but they understood them and understood the importance of it.
I think the whole thing is barbaric and primitive and ugly as Hell.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 03:47:41 AM »
What I mean is that it is him excusing me and everyone for crimes we did not commit, but were soiled by, and who asked him anyhow, and what "extra" benefit is conferred by his "sacrifice"?
:laugh:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 06:00:48 AM »
What I sometimes would like to say is that I'll sacrifice to the gods and read the innards of the neighbour's dog to make sure things go their way, but I suspect that may be counter-productive.
lol
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.