Author Topic: Ebola  (Read 1935 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Ebola
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 06:03:34 AM »
It seems to be fear and fear alone that reluctantly persuades the wealthy counties of the world to send help.   Not compassion.  For these people are suffering. 

I read somewhere there are 120 doctors for  almost 4 million people in Liberia.   Yet,  International Aid has been just a trickle so far.  I am sad if the reason is because these areas are deemed of low importance and the risk to us enlightened folk is low.

I hope the world takes notice,  or i fear that 'low risk' may just bite us on the bum.

I also hope it happens before the ageing has beens of pop crawl out of the wood work to make another live aid song.  Oh, please Mr Geldof don't do it.  :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 06:37:17 AM »
It's like people who complain their government doesn't provide enough hunger aide to Africa, but they don't personally provide any aide to Africa.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »
Mad cow disease led to very drastic, and needed reactions, to avoid it becoming massive. Otherwise it would have spread out of control, and there is no cure.
It changed thoughts about what to feed animals too.

Yes,  I remember seeing victims on the news.  The advanced stages of the disease was horrible.

Appalling farm practices were outlawed.   
blah blah blah

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 10:22:42 AM »
Been watching it since the beginning. Scary shit.

Going to get a lot worse before it gets better I think. :(

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 01:39:53 AM »
It seems to be fear and fear alone that reluctantly persuades the wealthy counties of the world to send help.   Not compassion.  For these people are suffering. 

I read somewhere there are 120 doctors for  almost 4 million people in Liberia.   Yet,  International Aid has been just a trickle so far.  I am sad if the reason is because these areas are deemed of low importance and the risk to us enlightened folk is low.

I hope the world takes notice,  or i fear that 'low risk' may just bite us on the bum.

I also hope it happens before the ageing has beens of pop crawl out of the wood work to make another live aid song.  Oh, please Mr Geldof don't do it.  :zoinks:

Bob Geldof will save us all. :zoinks:

Most solutions have nothing to do with compassion. Humanity is overrated.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 01:41:14 AM »
It's like people who complain their government doesn't provide enough hunger aide to Africa, but they don't personally provide any aide to Africa.

An individual could easily be too poor to be able to provide anything, for anyone. Your point?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 01:47:56 AM »

Yup. Tens of thousands of people will have died before it's brought under control.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 01:58:50 AM »

Yup. Tens of thousands of people will have died before it's brought under control.

If it will get under control. There are chances it may become endemic in Africa.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 02:01:52 AM »

Bob Geldof will save us all. :zoinks:

Most solutions have nothing to do with compassion. Humanity is overrated.

My seven year old dragged me to the telly the other day.  He had been going on and on about a kid called 'Jon' who was blind.  There were tears.  It turns out to be an advert for a charity about kids in Africa going blind because of dirty water they drink.  He had managed to hit the record button this time and he made me watch it.  He must have dreamed about it too, he woke up in the night saying we got to save 'Jon'.   He got a lid off something and went through the house collecting small change and presented it to me in a business like fashion saying i can have the money in exchange for a text message i must send to this charity donating some money.

Yes i sent the text.   I don't know if it was real compassion, but it was innocent and very genuine. 
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 02:03:17 AM »
You have the sweetest Urchin of the whole world.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 02:13:43 AM »

If it will get under control. There are chances it may become endemic in Africa.

Scary thought, but I do think it will be brought under control, eventually, when it's become enough of a threat to the West.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 02:14:45 AM »
You have the sweetest Urchin of the whole world.

Agreed.

It's where you still get real compassion.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »

An individual could easily be too poor to be able to provide anything, for anyone. Your point?
See it a lot. This is so terrible, hopefully the rest of the world will do something about it. Makes more sense to just say it's awful, rather than point out how others should care more, or wishing other would care more. Am assuming people truly too poor probably don't have electronics and internet access, so not sure of your point either.

I don't know if it was real compassion,
Yes it is, and very beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 07:20:50 AM by Jack »

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 07:20:06 AM »

I would not have the faintest idea how to provide aide to Africa personally. I can donate, sure, but that is something different.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 07:21:53 AM »

I would not have the faintest idea how to provide aide to Africa personally. I can donate, sure, but that is something different.
Used to have a friend who did missionary work is third world countries. She care a lot more than me.