Educational

Author Topic: AFN: down the rabbit hole?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: AFN: down the rabbit hole?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 04:04:30 AM »
I think what you are saying Scrap is that the site is drawing a specific type of poster.
That is fine. Niche site for a certain kind of member. It was not hiding this from the get go.
If you are the type of person that finds this site fits in with your values and sensibilities....then have at it.
I don't think it suits you, and nor do I think many members here or on other sites would fit. But that niche percentage that they are looking for will probably be very well placed there.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2014, 01:28:42 AM »
Most smaller sites that survive are, or become, niche sites. Kind of obvious when you think about it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »
niche?

*looks it up*

-_- please explain.....
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:32:58 PM by Genesis »

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
Or if you go on there and post the truth that liberals don't like, they'll screech and throw their feces at you.

Would you kindly mind waiting while I look up the word "hypocrite" in the dictionary?  :autism:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 01:26:23 AM »
niche?

*looks it up*

-_- please explain.....

They tend to focus on details, small areas of interest, rather than trying to do it all. If your membership consists of a dozen active members, it follows that the forum will focus on a select few topics matching the interests of the membership.

Niche:
 a place, employment, status, or activity for which a person or thing is best fitted <finally found her niche>
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 02:25:07 AM »
I think what you are saying Scrap is that the site is drawing a specific type of poster.
That is fine. Niche site for a certain kind of member. It was not hiding this from the get go.
If you are the type of person that finds this site fits in with your values and sensibilities....then have at it.
I don't think it suits you, and nor do I think many members here or on other sites would fit. But that niche percentage that they are looking for will probably be very well placed there.
Most smaller sites that survive are, or become, niche sites. Kind of obvious when you think about it.
niche?

*looks it up*

-_- please explain.....
niche?

*looks it up*

-_- please explain.....

They tend to focus on details, small areas of interest, rather than trying to do it all. If your membership consists of a dozen active members, it follows that the forum will focus on a select few topics matching the interests of the membership.

Niche:
 a place, employment, status, or activity for which a person or thing is best fitted <finally found her niche>

Genesis, just so you know (not that it particularly matters) my use of the term is not derisive.
It is saying that the site is what is. It is about as neutral as saying that it is an ASD site.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 07:13:09 PM »
niche?

*looks it up*

-_- please explain.....
niche?

*looks it up*

-_- please explain.....

Niche:

Genesis, just so you know (not that it particularly matters) my use of the term is not derisive.
It is saying that the site is what is. It is about as neutral as saying that it is an ASD site.

Fair enough.... *sighs* :-/

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 07:17:53 PM »
So if the majority is Atheist its a "niche"?

Or if the majority was some kind of Pasta Worshiping Occult its a niche?

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 04:54:04 AM »
So if the majority is Atheist its a "niche"?

Or if the majority was some kind of Pasta Worshiping Occult its a niche?
I2 is a niche, it fits the spazzes that can deal with I2, and those who thrive in that.

A site for new born mothers with inverted nipples wanting to breastfeed is a niche for those women. Not all women with inverted nipples will feel at home there, but the place will be catering a specific group.

AFN caters different needs than I2 does. There is an overlap in members, but the overall tendency of the sites is that different that not all members of AFN will be able to feel at home here, and not all the members of I2 will be able to feel at home at AFN. (Would be quite disastrous for both if the memberships were exchanged)

A shop aimed at frilly lace caters a niche market. A shop selling expensive sound equipment caters a niche market too.

There is no judgement in the word niche. Only saying it is not a "for all" supermarket format.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 08:10:42 AM »
Exactly.
AFN imported the values of AFF over. AFF in itself was a niche site.
It does not mean AFF was a "bad" site. I think personally that it had a batshit crazy co-founder and THAT is what its big problem was.

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »
I think personally that it had a batshit crazy co-founder and THAT is what its big problem was.

Looking back at it (even before my time there) the site had a few more problems than her but she was one of the problems that caused it's destruction.

I prefer AFN over AFF. It's a lot more supportive. I do remember that there was a member on AFF who basically trolled the support section, yet I was the one who was cautioned by her and when doing the "thank you" on their site, the troll was mentioned.

Fuck it. It's in the past. I don't like drama, hence why I'm not giving names but most of you who were on AFF in it's final days probably know who I'm talking about.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »
I was in deep slumber when the actual havoc began on its final day.....

Oh Woe is me, that AFF is no more,

Yet fuck that because we have something better to look forward to.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2014, 04:32:25 AM »
niche?

*looks it up*

-_- please explain.....
niche?

*looks it up*

-_- please explain.....

Niche:

Did anyone think it was (derisive)? Not sure about Genesis.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2014, 05:15:12 AM »
Yup, I got the impression from him that he believed we were putting shit on his site and using niche in some kind of derisive way. None of us were and I wanted to make it clear.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2014, 05:18:45 AM »
A niche site is just that, a niche site. It's neither good or bad.

- Albert Einstein