Educational

Author Topic: A million grandparents in UK not seeing their grandchildren  (Read 243 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
This is sad  :(

It's as sad as it is unjust.   The law does not allow grandparents rights. 

It usually occurs through no fault of their own,  and down to squabbling parents.
blah blah blah

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: A million grandparents in UK not seeing their grandchildren
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:50:23 AM »
How would you allocate grandparents' rights, and why should the government overrule the wishes of the parents?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:04:45 AM »
I think if a kid is old enough to say they want to see their grandparents then they should be able to.  Unless they are known kiddy fiddlers. 

Governments overrule wishes of parents  anyway when they award custody.   Why should a parents prejudice affect the rights of other family members?

blah blah blah

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
I think if a kid is old enough to say they want to see their grandparents then they should be able to.  Unless they are known kiddy fiddlers. 

Governments overrule wishes of parents anyway when they award custody.   Why should a parents prejudice affect the rights of other family members?

Perhaps they do in the UK, but if the parents come to an agreement in America, a judge is unlikely to change it. In general, judges don't interfere unless there's a dispute between the parents.

Why do grandparents deserve any rights to see a child? It's not their child, and there are family members closer to the child (the parents) who are qualified to make decisions for him/her. And if grandparents have rights, why not award visitation to all family members? Could an aunt or a first cousin sue for visitation?

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:49 AM »

Governments overrule wishes of parents anyway when they award custody.   Why should a parents prejudice affect the rights of other family members?

Perhaps they do in the UK, but if the parents come to an agreement in America, a judge is unlikely to change it. In general, judges don't interfere unless there's a dispute between the parents.

Why do grandparents deserve any rights to see a child? It's not their child, and there are family members closer to the child (the parents) who are qualified to make decisions for him/her. And if grandparents have rights, why not award visitation to all family members? Could an aunt or a first cousin sue for visitation?

It's not their child, and there are family members closer to the child (the parents) who are qualified to make decisions for him/her.
  How do you know that?  There are plenty of kids who have deceased parent/s.

Could an aunt or a first cousin sue for visitation?
I wouldn't extend it that far.  The child can see whoever they want once they are adults.   This may not be the case for grandparents who are, by default, generally older and less likely to be around when the child grows up.

I am not saying kids should be forced to see them.  Kids might want to see them,  might have already built a relationship with them, might miss them.   Sometimes people slit up badly, and that sometimes means parents make such decisions to spite the other parent.   

Kids should never be made to kiss grandparents.  I remember as a child my mom always used to say "we are going now, give Grandma a kiss"  and i used to hate it.  yuk. 

blah blah blah

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
It depends on the state here. State laws in Pa. grant visitation to grandparents after six months as long as it is in the best interest of the child and doesn't conflict with the parent/child relationship... and as long as the child is not put up for adoption.

I agree with that as long as the grandparents are truly interested in seeing their grandchildren and they can put any agendas or hateful feelings behind them and focus on the child I think it's a good thing...sometimes the parents of those going through a divorce are more bitter and caustic about the divorce than the couple divorcing and it's not good for the child.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 07:10:09 PM by Icequeen »

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »

It's not their child, and there are family members closer to the child (the parents) who are qualified to make decisions for him/her.
  How do you know that?  There are plenty of kids who have deceased parent/s.

Could an aunt or a first cousin sue for visitation?
I wouldn't extend it that far.  The child can see whoever they want once they are adults.   This may not be the case for grandparents who are, by default, generally older and less likely to be around when the child grows up.

I am not saying kids should be forced to see them.  Kids might want to see them,  might have already built a relationship with them, might miss them.   Sometimes people slit up badly, and that sometimes means parents make such decisions to spite the other parent.   

Kids should never be made to kiss grandparents.  I remember as a child my mom always used to say "we are going now, give Grandma a kiss"  and i used to hate it.  yuk. 

So what are you saying? What are visitation rights except forcing children to see their grandparents?

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 05:10:46 AM »
No, i am not advocating forcing kids to see their grandparents.  Only that they should be able to if they want to. 
blah blah blah

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:18:40 AM »
No, i am not advocating forcing kids to see their grandparents.  Only that they should be able to if they want to.

:dunno:

Then the child has the right, not the grandparents.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 01:02:35 AM »
I pmed you
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 02:11:25 AM »
Yes.
blah blah blah