Educational

Author Topic: What SHOULD you be doing right now? (second edition)  (Read 9828 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What SHOULD you be doing right now? (second edition)
« Reply #855 on: July 12, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »
Probably the dishes. Not much there though.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #856 on: July 13, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »
^ Same but there's definitely enough there to warrant washing, I just can't be arsed yet.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #857 on: July 13, 2017, 09:18:38 PM »
Sleeping. But can't. Would have to wake up in two hours.
:dog:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #858 on: July 14, 2017, 06:28:42 AM »
Getting ready to travel back to the old place. Blech.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #859 on: July 14, 2017, 06:57:57 AM »
Wait for it to be dry enough to walk to the 'post office'.
And then make that walk before the next shower wets the world again.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #860 on: July 14, 2017, 10:29:37 AM »
Laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #861 on: July 14, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »
A lot of things but I'm doing none of it because of all the other things I did today and I'm exhausted.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #862 on: July 14, 2017, 06:44:53 PM »
Practicing the thing I'm going to read tomorrow, maybe. My history with public speaking is kind of fraught. There've been some super embarrassing times, like the one I didn't prepare more than bullet point notes and thought I could wing it, and instead froze up in front of a group and couldn't continue. I felt nervous but fine, had no idea my brain was going to do that to me. But occasionally I can pull it out of my ass and make people laugh and actually entertain them. This one I've written out what to say and I'll just be reading it off a piece of paper, which bodes well, and I feel nervous but fine, which means nothing whatsoever. I really really don't want to practice, don't want to take away from spontaneity or genuineness. I'm not sure if that's setting myself up for screwing up again.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #863 on: July 14, 2017, 10:33:24 PM »
^I have done the same with bullet points. Embarrassing and I got a low grade.

Reading off a paper is definitely easier. I wouldn't practice either. You may add some things when you're reading it tomorrow.

I should be getting a shower and getting ready to do some shopping. Drinks, milk and cereal are the main things on my list.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #864 on: July 15, 2017, 01:14:46 AM »
Practicing the thing I'm going to read tomorrow, maybe. My history with public speaking is kind of fraught. There've been some super embarrassing times, like the one I didn't prepare more than bullet point notes and thought I could wing it, and instead froze up in front of a group and couldn't continue. I felt nervous but fine, had no idea my brain was going to do that to me. But occasionally I can pull it out of my ass and make people laugh and actually entertain them. This one I've written out what to say and I'll just be reading it off a piece of paper, which bodes well, and I feel nervous but fine, which means nothing whatsoever. I really really don't want to practice, don't want to take away from spontaneity or genuineness. I'm not sure if that's setting myself up for screwing up again.

Practicing, by reading it out loud slowly may help you identify sentences that are hard to read because of their construction. That may give you time for minor changes, to make reading it easier. (Things like cutting sentences in two or here and there swapping words) And that can help a lot.
Practicing on intonation and timing can take away the spontaneity indeed. Think your hesitation there is wise.

You'll do fine today. And, most people have a way higher tolerance for 'flaws' in reading eulogies. Loss does that.

:hug:

Hope this day will be good for you.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #865 on: July 15, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »

Practicing, by reading it out loud slowly may help you identify sentences that are hard to read because of their construction. That may give you time for minor changes, to make reading it easier. (Things like cutting sentences in two or here and there swapping words) And that can help a lot.
Practicing on intonation and timing can take away the spontaneity indeed. Think your hesitation there is wise.

You'll do fine today. And, most people have a way higher tolerance for 'flaws' in reading eulogies. Loss does that.

Listen to the wise cow, Pyraxis  :hug:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #866 on: July 15, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »

Listen to the wise cow, Pyraxis  :hug:

+1.
:dog:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #867 on: July 15, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
It went ok. His mother got up there and co-opted the microphone with a seven page rant which started off great (funny childhood stories) and then devolved into her personal soapbox about the evils of chemo and if only WolFish had listened to her and done ozone treatment (her favourite quackery) which could have saved him.  :zombiefuck: The pastor tried to interrupt her and got shot down by her.

But I got up there after and said my bit, and I think it went okay. My mother thought it was wonderful but I'm sure she's biased. Other people came up to me after and acknowledged the stories.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #868 on: July 15, 2017, 07:15:43 PM »
It went ok. His mother got up there and co-opted the microphone with a seven page rant which started off great (funny childhood stories) and then devolved into her personal soapbox about the evils of chemo and if only WolFish had listened to her and done ozone treatment (her favourite quackery) which could have saved him.  :zombiefuck: The pastor tried to interrupt her and got shot down by her.

But I got up there after and said my bit, and I think it went okay. My mother thought it was wonderful but I'm sure she's biased. Other people came up to me after and acknowledged the stories.
I swear Wolfish would have been rolling his eyes because he would expect nothing less from his mother.

But her reaction is also a form of grief because part of her probably wants to believe that if he had chosen another course he wouldn't have died. The reality is, he chose the best course of action for his particular case and no one can change how it ended.

Wish she would have done her ranting elsewhere though. :hug:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #869 on: July 15, 2017, 11:28:03 PM »
It's probably really awful for her if she truly believes it. :-\

But it's still not something to rant on about now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein