Author Topic: UK's healthcare top of league table out of 11 western countries. US = last  (Read 3954 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Bodie is probably right in pointing out that the NHS works better under a Labour government. It is my impression that the system is being dismantled by a government that does not seem to know what the alternative should be.

The NHS is not necessarily the answer, but it doesn't mean that nationalised healthcare can't be.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Can someone please explain to me how a higher rate of people dying in hospitals is being interpreted as an unambiguous sign of a lower quality of care?  Is the problem that they're supposed to be sending people home for hospice quicker?

Personally I can see this going either way- it could be a sign of hospital negligence to have an elevated hospital death rate, but to have a lower hospital death rate could just mean they're sending people home too early and they're dying outside the hospital.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Can someone please explain to me how a higher rate of people dying in hospitals is being interpreted as an unambiguous sign of a lower quality of care?  Is the problem that they're supposed to be sending people home for hospice quicker?

Personally I can see this going either way- it could be a sign of hospital negligence to have an elevated hospital death rate, but to have a lower hospital death rate could just mean they're sending people home too early and they're dying outside the hospital.

The thought crossed my mind too. When my dad got the verdict that he was not treatable, he was sent home, with the possibility of getting care at home when needed. And the option of being back immediately, if pain treatment required it. Best option ever. And great care at home. Not intruding more than needed, very respectful, and very caring. And they would not only check how the patient was doing, also how the relatives were keeping up.

Lots of people die at home here, though it does differ per hospital.

There will be a 40% cutting back on care at home, next year though.  :zombiefuck: Probably will lead to more people dying in a hospital.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Also,  we have seen closures of old peoples homes.  Community care is now the preferred choice and keeping them in their own homes as long as possible is probably what the old folk want.   However,  nhs hospitals are now having to have them when they get sick, in the past they would have stayed in their nursing homes.   
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Also,  we have seen closures of old peoples homes.  Community care is now the preferred choice and keeping them in their own homes as long as possible is probably what the old folk want.   However,  nhs hospitals are now having to have them when they get sick, in the past they would have stayed in their nursing homes.

That's what is about to happen here.
Old folks homes only are allowed to cater for people with the highest care indication, since this year, the rest has to go and live on themselves again, with care at home. So, bigger pressure on caring at home. And, next year, there will be a 40% cutting on the budget of care at home.
People will be in hospitals more and they will cost a lot more too. Logic outcome.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Some councils operate a scheme to 'foster' elderly people.   This could bring in £250 + per week per household.

If you are a carer for a family member then the maximum you can get is £60 per week.

??? I have to question the wisdom of a government that encourages people not to look after their own family but take a stranger into their home instead.

Nutters.

blah blah blah

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
Some councils operate a scheme to 'foster' elderly people.   This could bring in £250 + per week per household.

If you are a carer for a family member then the maximum you can get is £60 per week.

??? I have to question the wisdom of a government that encourages people not to look after their own family but take a stranger into their home instead.

Nutters.

The current government has bugger all wisdom.  :dunno:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.

The link previously posted for the NHS site discussion of the study explained it wasn't simply a study of mortality, but also efficiency and quality of care. It's not an interpretation based simply on mortality rate, but what's causing the mortality rate.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot

The thought did cross my mind. I don't suppose anyone here has checked this?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
The thought did cross my mind. I don't suppose anyone here has checked this?
Yes, there must be some reasonable excuse for the mortality rate, other than the fact NHS hospitals rate last in quality of care in the civilized world. The few NHS hospitals that rated well must be sending people home early to die at home. It's probably not that they're actually good hospitals. It couldn't possibly be the NHS has some very serious problems. The NHS gives credence to this data for no reason. Maybe you and Elle should check on that, if it's going to be the assertion. It must not be true. Though I don't suppose anyone has checked this.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:51:14 AM by Jack »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Should just go back to looking at the chart. That's what people want to see.