Author Topic: My daughter is now dating  (Read 3188 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Re: My daughter is now dating
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2014, 11:58:08 PM »
Ugh....good luck parents.

Me....well, I would just tell them to not have sex...then hand them condoms just incase. I would also give them a long lecture about putting their relationship online, and tell my daughter all the red-flags of relationship...I would also say texting nude--or half-nude-- pics is not normal and that they will be arrested if they do that.

Then I would demand to meet the boy's parents.

After that, they would be free to make their own informed choices.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2014, 01:24:18 AM »
Not the same thing at all. You don't have kids, do you?

I do, but not of the age where romantic activity would be appropriate, thank goodness.

How old are your kids?

Its not the business of the internet.

Fair enough.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2014, 01:26:04 AM »
Ugh....good luck parents.

Me....well, I would just tell them to not have sex...then hand them condoms just incase. I would also give them a long lecture about putting their relationship online, and tell my daughter all the red-flags of relationship...I would also say texting nude--or half-nude-- pics is not normal and that they will be arrested if they do that.

Then I would demand to meet the boy's parents.

After that, they would be free to make their own informed choices.

That is, do the stupidities anyway, but because you told them not to.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2014, 01:42:58 AM »
  My siblings and I received so little sex education, it's lucky we were so unpopular.  :tard:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2014, 05:05:30 AM »
My mother never talked about it. Thankfully, the internet was around.

The funny thing is, that my mother actually tried to educate me recently on "the birds and the bees". Two things wrong here:

1) I'm 18. If she didn't think I knew about it by now... :headhurts:
2) I had sex for the first time in June

Yeah. Thank God I live in the 21st century. Sure humanity is the worst species ever to exist and we're slowly destroying both each other and our home...But at least we have the internet.  :GA:

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2014, 08:23:08 AM »
Make sure he keeps his butthole clean.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 09:58:18 PM »
I have left it too late to have kids, I think. I am almost 40 now, and that sand is rapidly spilling through.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 10:31:11 PM »
I have left it too late to have kids, I think. I am almost 40 now, and that sand is rapidly spilling through.

No, you just need to find the right father fast (unless you already found him?)

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2015, 10:47:04 PM »

Nope, I live alone. Cannot see myself finding the right person to settle down with. I cannot actually imagine living with anyone, lol, I am so used to having my own space. Even having my ex round sometimes to watch a film makes me feel invaded somehow. Maybe I just have not found the correct person... I tend to not go out other than with a group I created anyway. Sort of that clash between wanting some sort of family, and yet, needing a ridiculous amount of time alone right now. Short of a miracle, I doubt it will happen. I have basically been celibate for the last 6+ years anyway.  :yarly:

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »

Nope, I live alone. Cannot see myself finding the right person to settle down with. I cannot actually imagine living with anyone, lol, I am so used to having my own space. Even having my ex round sometimes to watch a film makes me feel invaded somehow. Maybe I just have not found the correct person... I tend to not go out other than with a group I created anyway. Sort of that clash between wanting some sort of family, and yet, needing a ridiculous amount of time alone right now. Short of a miracle, I doubt it will happen. I have basically been celibate for the last 6+ years anyway.  :yarly:

Hmm. yeah. Sound like you're still not ready.

That's the trouble with being an Aspie. By the time we're grown-up enough to handle parenthood, our bodies  have given up on the idea.

Actually I gave birth  one child at the age of 30. It wasn't altogether planned, or else I'd never have had the nerve. My son is  25 now, and I wouldn't change a thing...except his father *wince*. I mean I'm actually glad. But it was certainly tough.

As luck would have it, my son values his personal space as much as I do. We have quite a lot in common. I was amazed to have a child that I actually like as a person. I thought that never actually happens in the real world *chuckle* . I was prepared for the worst.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:03:58 PM by DrunkardsWalk »

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2015, 11:33:17 PM »

Hmm. yeah. Sound like you're still not ready.

That's the trouble with being an Aspie. By the time we're grown-up enough to handle parenthood, our bodies  have given up on the idea.

Actually I gave birth  one child at the age of 30. It wasn't altogether planned, or else I'd never have had the nerve. My son is  25 now, and I wouldn't change a thing...except his father *wince*. I mean I'm actually glad. But it was certainly tough.

As luck would have it, my son values his personal space as much as I do. We have quite a lot in common. I was amazed to have a child that I actually like as a person. I thought that never actually happens in the real world *chuckle* . I was prepared for the worst.

Sounds like that turned out well for you then. It seems to be a common thing that one or other parent will find they clash with their offspring or pass on the baggage of their own childhoods. That aspect would deter me a little too. I would hate to bring a child into the world then find I was not a good mother. I would want to give him/her the best childhood I possibly could.

It is true, being aspie is a real double edged sword. I get times when I almost covet the friendships and family others have, but no sooner do I dip my toe in the water, and I am wanting to retreat back to solitude again. I think different aspies have different levels of tolerance for human contact. I seem to get easily overwhelmed. I am almost quite comfortable simply with the friendship of my ex (who is obviously also on the autistic spectrum), where we just watch things together and talk sometimes. I certainly do not think I would be wanting to have a child into my 40s, I would feel myself too old to be able to a good parent.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »
It's possible to be an aspie and still be a good parent. Well, I'd like to think it is, considering I have two kids. I don't think it's a prerequisite to be a social person, even though it helps.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2015, 12:24:17 AM »
It's possible to be an aspie and still be a good parent. Well, I'd like to think it is, considering I have two kids. I don't think it's a prerequisite to be a social person, even though it helps.

I agree. And an aspie kid is probably a lot better off with an aspie parent.

My dad was aspie, we all think, in retrospect . He was one of the the really difficult ones: rigid, narrow-minded with one hellova short fuse. He was the kind of guy who makes a Religion out of Atheism, and thinks all apostates should burn in Hell, never mind if it's a mythical place that only gullible half-wits would believe in.  He had no friends, he drove them all away.  We had diametrically opposite points of view on most things, so one of my favourite pastimes used to be picking an argument with Dad, whilst the rest of the family headed for the hills  >:D. He wasn't easy to live with, but for me, he was far easier to live with than the rest of the family, who are all rabid NTs. We understood each other, and knew where we were with each other. We both said exactly what we thought.  We enjoyed having a go at each other. It was kinda like playing chess with unexploded landmines.  I'm really glad he was there. :)

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 12:30:36 AM »

I agree. And an aspie kid is probably a lot better off with an aspie parent.

My dad was aspie, we all think, in retrospect . He was one of the the really difficult ones: rigid, narrow-minded with one hellova short fuse. He was the kind of guy who makes a Religion out of Atheism, and thinks all apostates should burn in Hell, never mind if it's a mythical place that only gullible half-wits would believe in.  He had no friends, he drove them all away.  We had diametrically opposite points of view on most things, so one of my favourite pastimes used to be picking an argument with Dad, whilst the rest of the family headed for the hills  >:D. He wasn't easy to live with, but for me, he was far easier to live with than the rest of the family, who are all rabid NTs. We understood each other, and knew where we were with each other. We both said exactly what we thought.  We enjoyed having a go at each other. It was kinda like playing chess with unexploded landmines.  I'm really glad he was there. :)

My father cared only about his business. Even a holiday was him on the phone to the office. That, and constant issues from my mum. I mean, I had all I needed materially, and good stuff in my childhood, but I was also called useless object, gormless, asked why I couldn't be more like my brother, why I couldn't be more normal and things along those lines which have stuck with me ever since. I do not know if both or one of my parents is on the spectrum, but I do know they met via a dating agency back in the day, and both have had lifelong interests and control issues.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2015, 12:54:06 AM »
I was also called useless object, gormless, asked why I couldn't be more like my brother, why I couldn't be more normal and things along those lines which have stuck with me ever since.

Ouch! I used to get the exact same thing from my Mum all the time :( I used to envy kids who complained that their parents took no interest in them. I just longed to be left alone.