Educational

Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 9402 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »
Oh, I agree. But nobody around here can afford to actually drive one of those.
When I had my hotrod Mustang, gasoline was around thiry five cents per gallon. It got almost the same mileage at one hundred miles per hour as it did at fifty five. I had a van that got six, too, but it had an eighty five gallon tank. My buddy had a Firebird with a 455 HO and it got really bad mileage, if he opened up the back two barrels on that Rochester very often. It made a hell of a sound when he did, though.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 12:35:34 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2007, 12:51:16 PM »
How did you know? That's almost exactly what I was about to write.  :o

Don't you know? Your computer has been telling me things for months now. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »
:explode:

Scrapheap

« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2007, 12:58:32 PM »
Oh, I agree. But nobody around here can afford to actually drive one of those.
My buddy had a Firebird with a 455 HO and it got really bad mileage, if he opened up the back two barrels on that Rochester very often. It made a hell of a sound when he did, though.

The secondaries on a Rottenchester ARE huge!! You have to be carefull not to step on the gas too fast or they bog a little.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2007, 11:13:27 PM »
it's coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hide under the tables!!!!!!!!! here i brought some!!!!!!!!!!!

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Scrapheap

« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2007, 11:18:19 PM »
it's coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hide under the tables!!!!!!!!! here i brought some!!!!!!!!!!!

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Fuck that...... let's have a Luau!!  :party: :party: :party: :party:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2007, 11:23:13 PM »
okay heap

:bunny: :dance: :grouphug: :penis: :fart: :belly: :crowd: :worship: :fsm: :party: :asthing: :asthing: :asthing:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Teejay

« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2007, 11:14:19 PM »
I have to admit I am a bit of a skeptic on global warming. I do not deny greenhouse gases have been rising because of human activity and greenhouse gas levels are the highest in a very long time. Also temperatures since 1850 have risen by around on average 0.8-0.9C.

However when I look back at climatic history, even in the very stable Holocene period there are been periods when temperatures globally were 1C warmer on average during Holocene Climate Optimum around 6000-3000 BC, as evidenced in the Vostok Ice Core in Antarctica. Also going back further to previous interglacial periods which have seen temperatures up to 2C warmer globally on average than now.

There were also the Medieval Warm Period and Little Ice Age which were global rather then regional events, in the little ice age temperatures globally were around 1C cooler than today, however the medieval warm period was as warm or even warmer than today evidenced by analysis across the world (including tree rings) and the fact that the Norse were farming in Southwestern Greenland where the permafrost still exists today.

This was back when human contribution to greenhouse emissions was tiny. There are factors other than CO2 emissions contributing to Earth's climate, solar cycles, water vapor, Milankovitch cycles (which could be why the earth has gone into glacial and interglacial periods rather than changes in CO2 levels, which some believe occurs after the temperature change).

I am trending on the side of caution on this issue. While I support efforts to get the world off it's dependence on fossil fuels, I believe that the uncertainties and facts, do not justify the potential cost of denying economic development in the third world or decreasing living standards even in the developed world.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2007, 11:18:54 PM »
watch "an inconvenient truth", the al gore film about global warming.  i also have a document debunking all the nay-sayers, who insist that the evidence about global warming is overstated.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2007, 12:41:30 AM »
watch "an inconvenient truth", the al gore film about global warming.  i also have a document debunking all the nay-sayers, who insist that the evidence about global warming is overstated.

I saw that, but did you see Al Gore's $30,000 utility bills?

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/GlobalWarming/story?id=2906888&page=1

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2007, 01:13:11 AM »
what Al Gore is telling people is that a small change helps if everyone does it. just change something. turn off the lights for the night.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2007, 01:35:12 AM »

I saw that, but did you see Al Gore's $30,000 utility bills?

http://www.tennesseepolicy.org/main/article.php?article_id=367

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/GlobalWarming/story?id=2906888&page=1

i know - a brilliant film, and then he spoils it by being a hypocrite, to some degree.  he claims all the energy he uses is from renewable sources, which goes some way to mitigate it, but you're quite right - he should be reducing his use.

and now a word from our sponsers...

"remember, children:

Reduce
Reuse
Recycle"

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2007, 01:36:01 AM »
what Al Gore is telling people is that a small change helps if everyone does it. just change something. turn off the lights for the night.

yay!  :plus:

and don't leave things on standby.  and turn your heating/air conditioning down or up a degree (delete as applicable).

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2007, 01:45:53 AM »

It would help a lot more if he stopped heating his Olympic sized swimming pool so much rather than just put in a few compact fluorescent bulbs in place of incandescent ones.

A large part of his utility bills was for the pool.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2007, 02:04:48 AM »

It would help a lot more if he stopped heating his Olympic sized swimming pool so much rather than just put in a few compact fluorescent bulbs in place of incandescent ones.

A large part of his utility bills was for the pool.
But he needs the pool to relax and rewind and think up more ideas for movies that propel him into hero status.