Educational

Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 9278 times)

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2007, 03:54:07 PM »

Oh, and the "Scientific Pickup Lines" like, - According to the second law of thermodynamics, you're supposed to share your hotness with me.

:laugh:

:LMAO:
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »
i just talked to mom about thermodynamics' second law... dave gorman made it stick for me.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2007, 10:22:51 PM »
dave gorman made it stick for in me.

fixed.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #213 on: July 03, 2007, 01:57:22 AM »
that doesn't make any sense.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #214 on: July 03, 2007, 02:48:34 AM »
that doesn't make any sense.

:yikes:  really?!  cal not making sense?  it's a miracle!

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #215 on: July 03, 2007, 02:52:04 AM »
 :emb:
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2007, 01:58:48 AM »
Global warming freakouts are just a bunch of liberal BULLSHIT.
You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2007, 02:30:33 AM »

Nah. It's a fact. The causes, on the other hand....

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2007, 08:32:21 PM »
and you suck ass.
Misunderstood.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2007, 11:31:16 PM »
interesting stuff i've just read about contrails contributing more to global warming than the actual burning of fuel.  sadly, i've lent the book to my neighbour, so haven't got the references to hand, but basically, it's about contrails seeding cirrus clouds, so they thicken, causing more cloud cover, which "hot" wavelengths from the sun can penetrate, but which prevent heat energy from the earth radiating out again.  i can't remember the exact figures, but apparently, we could cut something like 85% of the effect by flying 500 feet lower, or something.

gobsmacking, i thought.

Offline JediKnight2

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2007, 01:22:06 AM »
Here is my $0.02 cents on global warming. While my estimates are on the conservative side (mean warming of 1.5-2C in the next 100 years), however the rises in temperatures will not be gradual but rather sudden. I think in 1998 we went through one, as a result much needed winter rainfall in Southern Australia has decreased by 20%, which is a factor behind the worst drought in recorded history we are experiencing here.

This 4T coming up will have this as a major issues.

Humans have had an impact on the global greenhouse emissions since the beginnings of agriculture, the clearing of forests for grazing, the planting of crops and the methane coming from livestock. Probably resulted in temperatures in the last few thousand years being a little higher than they have should be.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...732281706.html

Since the industral revolution Co2 levels have risen from 280 parts per million to 370-380 parts per million, a more than 35% increase. Given the rise in Co2 levels in the amosphere the warming should have been more than 0.6C mean recorded globally since 1850. There is a thing called global dimming, which is caused by aerosols being poured into the amosphere as a result of industry, which reflected sunlight and limited the extent of warming caused by rising Co2 levels. The level of aerosols have decreased in the developed world, could be rising in the fast industralising countries like China and India although.

If we contiude business as usual in regard to greenhouse emissions, globally temperatures will warm to levels which were seen 120,000 years ago during the last intergalacial. When temperatures globally were 1-2C warmer than today. Back then sea levels were 5-8 meters higher than today, forests grew as far north as North Cape, Norway which is now Tundra, trees like Oak and Hazel grew as far north as Oulu in Finland which is at 65N. Also the forest-priare boundary was where Fort Lubbock, Texas is today, instead of Dallas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eemian_interglacial

I dunno if the climate modern similar to the Pilocene period around 5-2 million years ago would be apporiate because back then the straits of panama, allowed the gulf stream to go into the arctic ocean because the ocean salinity levels were lower. That would have resulted in huge temperature increases in North America, Northern Eurasia, plus a stronger monsoon in Africa and Eurasia, meaning the Arctic ocean was ice free in summer, Greenland was tundra and boreal forest, the sahara and arabian deserts were grasslands and trees grew right up to the arctic ocean.

Overall I think global greenhouse levels will reach to around 560 parts per million, literally a doubling since the beginning of the industral age. That is given a business as usual approach, greenhouse emissions will peak once the all the countries of the world become economically developed as western countries are now.

For example a Co2 level some 100 parts per million lower than pre-industral levels, maybe resulted in temperatures globally 5C cooler than present, however the milankovitch cycle where the earth's axis shifts, which is linked to glacial and interglacial contributed greatly to those lower temperatures.

My rough estimate is as co2 levels in the amosphere reach levels double pre-industral levels, mean global temperatures will rise by 1.5 to 2C. But the effects will be not evenly distrubted in North America temperatures will rise by 3-4C on average. Boston would have a climate like Baltimore, some places will get wetter, some places will get drier.

A sudden warming of the earth's climate would be a disaster, because global agriculture depends on a stable climate and if the climate patterns were to suddenly shift, some places will face ruin and until the agricultural zones of the world shift, agricultural yeilds will crash.

This is quite potentially scary stuff, greenhouse emissions must be reduced post haste to avoid these things from happening, however we have to develop ways of reducing greenhouse emissions which do not reduce living standards or economic growth.

I'm in favor of widespread use of nuclear power (replacing fossil fuels), diverting of subsides for fossil to subsides for cleaner forms of energy like solar, nuclear fission and fusion, wind and compressed air engines (which run on electricity).

I watched "An Inconvenient Truth" recently by Al Gore and I actually enjoyed reading your post more than the movie. The movie was good for about 45 mins. until the last half hour or so dragged on. Anyway, I haven't read your posted links yet but I'll get to them and reread everything ASAP but sounds all good so far. I just don't think the temperatures will rise quickly as you think they will but I could be wrong.
A-Train (Autie Train)- He's running for an autie first-down!

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #221 on: August 11, 2007, 02:02:17 AM »
 :yawn:
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #222 on: August 11, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
:yawn:

What?
Global warming bores you or those who don't accept the evidence bore you?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2007, 12:33:07 PM »
both.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
So if people were not about what caused the global warming that lead to the end of the last Ice Age.  We may be aggravating it but fluctuations in Earths climate have been happening since the beginning. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw