Author Topic: Even on a budget, I won't skimp on ...  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Even on a budget, I won't skimp on ...
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2016, 10:05:41 PM »
Damn right about canned tuna, got to be good stuff, and packed in brine rather rather than oil, the greasy texture and lack of saltiness just isn't right in canned tuna.

Butter, proper, salty, rich butter is the only way to go IMO. I don't buy margarine, won't eat it either, given the choice, disgusting stuff.

Lab supplies. Especially when it comes to glassware and other equipment, I'd sooner spend my money on one set of high quality borosilicate (barring of course, kit used with chemicals that etch or dissolve glass, such as hot, concentrated caustic soda or hydrofluoric acid) glass, and have it last a lifetime, than save a few quid in the short term by buying non-borosilicate glass, or cheap knockoff chinese mass market stuff.

I haven't ever regretted it either, same goes for good quality reagents, where I must buy things from another seller or business, some things of course, are generally unavailable to those outside research and academic settings, although I have some good connections for some hard to source stuff of that sort, some things I still must prepare myself, but nevertheless, quality control is essential, using crappy chemical supplies leads to...well, as they in the computer fields, put garbage in, get garbage out.

Rolling baccy is another one, I only really like amber leaf, after getting used to one brand, others tend to taste like arse.

Cigars..quality only, 'nuff said.

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2016, 06:08:00 AM »
  Agree with you about real butter.  I was raised on margarine and had to learn to like butter,
  but it's the greatest on fresh warm bread, and a host of other things.  And the salt is important.  :green:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2016, 09:44:13 AM »
Sex?

(Should be an question and my answer on Family Feud TV game)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2016, 08:19:03 PM »
Sex?

Paying for sex is illegal, ma'am.  You'll have to come with us.   :police: :queenie:  :police:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »
How about I swap you ice for joining me in bed, CBC:)

Your lovely, a real sweetie IMO.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »
Sex?

Paying for sex is illegal, ma'am.  You'll have to come with us.   :police: :queenie:  :police:

I'd rather "come" with with PA.  He knows all the right buttons to unbutton.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2016, 04:24:24 AM »
Tissues. I have found a brand of small ones. Better than those huge ones where before you know it, the box is empty.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2016, 04:03:13 PM »
they used to use (and for all I know still do) marge in home ec lessons in my first spesh school, the Kanner's one.

I absolutely loathed it, and still do. Utterly disgusting stuff. Can't beat good honest salty real butter. None of that oily plastic fucking greasy shit-in-a-tub. I just won't eat it in fact, its repulsive.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2016, 08:04:16 PM »
they used to use (and for all I know still do) marge in home ec lessons in my first spesh school, the Kanner's one.

I absolutely loathed it, and still do. Utterly disgusting stuff. Can't beat good honest salty real butter. None of that oily plastic fucking greasy shit-in-a-tub. I just won't eat it in fact, its repulsive.

I've been debating whether I want to do a week or so of war-time cooking.  Lard is available, but costs even more than butter.

My taste buds have been ruined by too many sinus episodes so that my sense of taste is really diminished.  Margarine and butter taste the same to me, but I do remember when it tasted heavenly as a child.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »

I've been debating whether I want to do a week or so of war-time cooking.  Lard is available, but costs even more than butter.

My taste buds have been ruined by too many sinus episodes so that my sense of taste is really diminished.  Margarine and butter taste the same to me, but I do remember when it tasted heavenly as a child.

My father lost his sense of smell sometime in his 60s, for reasons unknown, and with it his sense of taste.  :(

People forget.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2016, 06:24:33 PM »

My father lost his sense of smell sometime in his 60s, for reasons unknown, and with it his sense of taste.  :(

Eek   :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2016, 07:38:23 PM »

Every once in awhile he could smell something briefly, like coffee or a fresh orange.  :-\

People forget.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »

Every once in awhile he could smell something briefly, like coffee or a fresh orange.  :-\
Sense of smell is too sensitive, and often wished when younger for not being able to smell. In early twenties met an old woman who had no sense of smell. She said she never wore perfume because she didn't know which ones smelled good or how much is too much, but she was obsessed with applying deodorant because she was afraid of having body odor and no one would tell her. It was an interesting perspective; in all the times of wishing to not smell, never once considered having to worry about my own smells. She cured me of not wanting to smell. :laugh:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2016, 09:55:53 PM »
My sense of smell is shite. WolFish's is too sensitive, and he's constantly getting set on edge by things I can't even detect. I'm probably going to be one of those people that loses smell entirely at some point in their life.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2016, 11:45:50 PM »
My sense of smell is shite. WolFish's is too sensitive, and he's constantly getting set on edge by things I can't even detect. I'm probably going to be one of those people that loses smell entirely at some point in their life.

It's a blessing, really, if you're among people a lot. :zombiefuck:

Mine is very good, which is a curse whenever taking the bus or the tube.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein