Educational

Author Topic: Even on a budget, I won't skimp on ...  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Even on a budget, I won't skimp on ...
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2016, 02:11:19 AM »
The worst is when football matches are playing. And after they have done rather than when people are travelling to the games, then you get a load of moronic, hooting, squealing, shouting stinking sweaty chav pricks..

Last time I had the fortune to be stuck on the tram when that happened I ended up with several such drunken, gobby arseholes, had to make my point by telling one of the crowd I was very, very close to putting him face-first through a window and onto the tracks.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »
People tend to be filthy. :M
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2016, 05:39:16 AM »

You work in a hot kitchen in August while going through menopause and see how fresh you stay.  :P
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2016, 07:30:04 AM »

You work in a hot kitchen in August while going through menopause and see how fresh you stay.  :P

Um, no thanks. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2016, 07:43:59 AM »
Working in a hot lab, with hotplates going full whack and especially if a bunsen burner or blowtorch is also being used, on a baking hot sunny day, in the middle of the afternoon.

Now THAT is even worse! Its one of the few things I absolutely loathe about doing my chemistry. The worst is when there is a heatwave, and I must work for someone else and thus am bound to do whatsoever the client may wish of me. Working for myself, on personal projects that are intended for me when there is nobody else that is going to get any of whatever it may be that I am doing, project-wise at the time then I can just put it off, unless I am constrained by the chemistry itself, and have to say, get something done then work it up immediately post-rxn, I'll just say 'fuckitall' and wait the overly hot weather out, then head to the lab again once it is over.

Right now its a bit of both. Two and a bit things for myself the rest of the bit, not for me. So I have to at least get SOME work done. I'm doing everything at once however, running 4 reactions at the same time. I kick ass that way :heisenberg:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »
Working in a hot lab, with hotplates going full whack and especially if a bunsen burner or blowtorch is also being used, on a baking hot sunny day, in the middle of the afternoon.

Now THAT is even worse! Its one of the few things I absolutely loathe about doing my chemistry. The worst is when there is a heatwave, and I must work for someone else and thus am bound to do whatsoever the client may wish of me. Working for myself, on personal projects that are intended for me when there is nobody else that is going to get any of whatever it may be that I am doing, project-wise at the time then I can just put it off, unless I am constrained by the chemistry itself, and have to say, get something done then work it up immediately post-rxn, I'll just say 'fuckitall' and wait the overly hot weather out, then head to the lab again once it is over.

Right now its a bit of both. Two and a bit things for myself the rest of the bit, not for me. So I have to at least get SOME work done. I'm doing everything at once however, running 4 reactions at the same time. I kick ass that way :heisenberg:

Watch the show.  You can find the time. :heisenberg:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
How? because I have 5, perhaps 6 tasks to perform today. I'm going to be buried up to the eyeballs in glassware, reagents, solvents etc all day, and running multiple separate rxns at once.

I DID forget for a while, I admit CBC, but now I remember, I WILL watch it just as soon as commitments allow it of me.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2016, 08:20:15 AM »
How? because I have 5, perhaps 6 tasks to perform today. I'm going to be buried up to the eyeballs in glassware, reagents, solvents etc all day, and running multiple separate rxns at once.

I DID forget for a while, I admit CBC, but now I remember, I WILL watch it just as soon as commitments allow it of me.

I hope you have really good ventilation.  :-\

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2016, 08:32:32 AM »
Don't worry, the extractor is on, the external door is on and windows open. Currently only evaporating acetone plus some methanol. But there will be nastier fumes later, the worst being thionyl chloride fumes plus the hydrolysis products, sulfur dioxide and hydrochloric acid gas, It stinks too. And when I open the bottle one can see the fumes billowing off as a fog; spewing from the neck of the bottle as the volatile SOCl2 vaporises into the air and immediately hydrolyses to SO2 and HCl(g). Smells pretty damn foul. Lol my old man when he woke up today and started making his breakfast came into the lounge and asked me what the stench was:autism:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2016, 08:38:19 AM »
Don't worry, the extractor is on, the external door is on and windows open. Currently only evaporating acetone plus some methanol. But there will be nastier fumes later, the worst being thionyl chloride fumes plus the hydrolysis products, sulfur dioxide and hydrochloric acid gas, It stinks too. And when I open the bottle one can see the fumes billowing off as a fog; spewing from the neck of the bottle as the volatile SOCl2 vaporises into the air and immediately hydrolyses to SO2 and HCl(g). Smells pretty damn foul. Lol my old man when he woke up today and started making his breakfast came into the lounge and asked me what the stench was:autism:

Breathing those fumes could be harming you both.  :(

People forget.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »
Beer, I just can't stomach the cheap stuff.  :glug:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2016, 01:53:41 PM »
CBC, I wear a gas mask to filter out toxic/mutagenic/acidic/caustic/strongly reducing or oxidizing fumes.

My old man is by now sensible enough to ask if he can safely go about  his business, not in the slightest a chemist but he isn't a total idiot, and knows full well that my hobby is capable of/somewhat prone to producing nasty gases and similar such things. For the use of really badly unpleasant chemicals or productive of such as byproducts I either do things outside, again wearing my gas mask, or in a glovebox. And also I have my limits. I'm not about to for example, fill the house full of phosgene, and if needed, then find alternative methods of accomplishing the same goal. More than one way to skin a cat. Or find alternative reagents, producing some of the worst things I'd work with even outside by the means of doing so in situ, slowly generating them WITHIN the reaction vessel rather than introducing whatever it is from an outside source. For example if I wanted hydrogen cyanide gas then the way to do it is not generate loads within a second, third, fourth flask etc. but rather to, often as not, add potassium cyanide, sodium cyanide etc. to the reaction as required for the task at hand, and then slowly drip in acid, probably keeping the project situated in a sub-zero 'C cryogenic bath. If cold is an option of course. If not then more cyanide would be required as it would boil off.Then filtering the exit gases through multiple washing bottles full of NaOH (caustic soda) which it immediately reacts with and forms NaCN (sodium cyanide)

That particular rxn would be a green one too to a degree because some recycling of the HCN is possible, for that which does not react.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2016, 07:57:38 PM »
Any type of seafood,  cheep seafood is just gross :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2016, 08:27:26 PM »
I always look for a bargain, so I skimp on everything. I have patience.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2016, 12:10:05 AM »
I always look for a bargain, so I skimp on everything. I have patience.

A grocery salvage store opened near us.  Only one thing I bought was a disappointment, shredded cheese.  I save about 75% on canned and boxed goods (e.g. boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese were 20 cents.)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: