Author Topic: Even on a budget, I won't skimp on ...  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Even on a budget, I won't skimp on ...
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »
Never a good idea to fuck about with potentially iffy seafood. The only exception to that I make is lumpsucker-based caviar. That actually tastes pretty good, and there is nothing wrong with it simply BECAUSE its cheaper. If the only difference is price then fine, but never fuck around with potentially poor quality seafood.

Speaking of which. Canned tuna. It BETTER be in brine or in salt water. I cannot stand that disgusting, greasy, nasty ass shit in oil. That has a texture that makes me want to go puke.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »
Never a good idea to fuck about with potentially iffy seafood. The only exception to that I make is lumpsucker-based caviar. That actually tastes pretty good, and there is nothing wrong with it simply BECAUSE its cheaper. If the only difference is price then fine, but never fuck around with potentially poor quality seafood.

Speaking of which. Canned tuna. It BETTER be in brine or in salt water. I cannot stand that disgusting, greasy, nasty ass shit in oil. That has a texture that makes me want to go puke.

I'm pretty cautious about the meat/seafood/produce I buy.  And I agree, water packed tuna all the way.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2016, 10:19:22 PM »
Steak is another one that if I am going to buy, I buy good shit. REALLY good steak, is what counts. Sod the price tag, if I want a steak, I'm having a bloody well GOOD steak. Had a really, really really lovely piece of fillet steak recently, quite pricey but bought the best piece available all the same. And my god was it ever good. I cooked it by cutting deep slashes in a crosshatch pattern on both sides, then soaking it in a marinade made out of HP sauce, worcestershire, soy and teriyaki sauce with a good splash of the extra hot version of tabasco splattered in liberally, a bit of powdered beef gravy granules, and made up with some homedone fly agaric gravy.

Then after leaving it about an hour, turning it over and basting occasionally, no heat applied yet, I rubbed in my special steak spice, modified slightly. This consists of a mixture of black pepper, chunky rock sea salt, cubeb, some szechuan pepper, pink peppercorns, peppery boletus and fly agaric mushroom (caps only, cured of course to detoxify them) Chilli, a little bit of powdered dry garlic flakes, and I altered the recipe a little then to add some cardamom and a packet of dried beef jerky, all mixed in together and blasted in the electric spice grinder until the consistency of a soft, very slightly clumpy when squeezed between the fingers fluffy powder. The spice grinder is brilliant, reduced something the tough and chewy consistency of beef jerky to powder in seconds. The change made it even tastier.

Rubbed it into the slashes cut into the fillet steak, drizzled a tiny bit of oil on each side, rubbed it in and around the edge to seal the juicyness in, Then heated an empty pan until very hot indeed, and just for a few seconds, quickly seared it on each side on maximum heat, only letting it contact that heat for a short time either side and round the edges. Then turned heat right down and slow-cooked until well done. But not only well done, it stays TENDER that way. Really, really juicy and sweet and tender; every single mouthful nice and chewy but still tender, and very well done  on the outside layer, with a properly thoroughly cooked, but not overdone center. I like my steaks...lets just say if it moos on the plate I'm going to go fetch a claw hammer and batter it to death. I like mine just short of electrically conductive. Not quite reduced to steak-shaped graphite blocks but nevertheless, if I've got hands on it, the little fucker has jolly well moo-ed its last.

'Twas lovely and tender through and through, very juicy and positively bursting with flavour. Devoured the whole thing in about 2-3 minutes and left nothing but a shred or two of fat behind, and little enough of that was there to start with, I think I will be adding beef jerky, powdered up in the grinder, and cardamom in the future again too, as well as using a bit of powdered fly agaric in the marinade as well as as I usually do in the spice mix. Because it really works wonders on meat recipes. I love fly agaric and peppery boletus in combination in my cooking as a spice and flavour enhancer, I go out to a local golf course and another spot of mine to pick mushrooms, and bag kilos of them every season. They are mildly poisonous raw, and must be cured by means of drying the caps over a low, low heat overnight in a propped-open oven (to let the moisture evaporate) and  they then can be stored. I pick enough per season to last me the rest of the year. Although unfortunately I can never find as many of the parasitic peppery boletes that parasitize the fly agaric to last me through as much cookery as I would like. I also use the fly agaric medicinally, to ward off the cold of winter and feel it not, as a tea, and it can be used as an intoxicant too, as is traditionally done in siberia.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2016, 08:30:27 AM »
I enjoy my steak best when it is simply adorned with salt.  No extra seasonings, flavours, etc. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2016, 09:16:29 AM »
That, my dear, is because you have not tasted my steak spice mix. Could send you some if you'd like to try it? would be happy to, I have enough for my own consumption.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2017, 10:42:36 PM »
Deodorant. Ever since I used to work outside in the heat and discovered that women's deodorant didn't really do the job for me, I have used Rexona Original For Men. It costs more but it's worth it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2017, 12:09:28 AM »

Music
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2017, 05:00:50 AM »
You'd PAY for  music? seriously? jesus christ.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »
You'd PAY for  music? seriously? jesus christ.

Come on dude.

I spent over eighteen years of my life making my entire living working in music. I made friends. I do not steal music from my friends (and as Keats once said - have to paraphrase - no strangers here, only friends you have not met yet)

Those of us who have made a career performing and creating and composing and organizing and arranging and producing amd recording and conceiving and developing and furthering and playing and inventing and presenting and living and (many times) dying and executing live in front of so many detractors and ad lib and improvising on the spot when machines are not up to the demands of the musician and just living this way in this world and sharing and influencing thought in others and on and on ...

Some would have no reason to awaken ever again, except for what music AND the MAKING of music has brought to their lives.

I will not steal that.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
What about youtube, and occasions where you just cannot FIND anywhere to buy the music in question? One of my friends, a lil fox by the name of burning one is a musician and I bought her album, think I bought the second one too. I could easily have got it from her for free I'm sure she'd have done me one if I'd just asked her, but I wanted to give her the income from the sale of her albums. (not the only thing I'd give her either, although we aren't a couple anymore, still best fiends however.) Although we are as different as badgers and dog shit popsicles, in outlook, in beliefs, in many respects, although both autistic of course. Well, she is aspie. Still, we get along like an oil refinery and a casually-wielded flamethrower. I'd assign the latter role to her mind you, since she's fucking smokin' :D

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
What about youtube, and occasions where you just cannot FIND anywhere to buy the music in question? One of my friends, a lil fox by the name of burning one is a musician and I bought her album, think I bought the second one too. I could easily have got it from her for free I'm sure she'd have done me one if I'd just asked her, but I wanted to give her the income from the sale of her albums. (not the only thing I'd give her either, although we aren't a couple anymore, still best fiends however.) Although we are as different as badgers and dog shit popsicles, in outlook, in beliefs, in many respects, although both autistic of course. Well, she is aspie. Still, we get along like an oil refinery and a casually-wielded flamethrower. I'd assign the latter role to her mind you, since she's fucking smokin' :D

I do understand that some/much/most  of the Indie stuff is impossible to find for sale. Even the artists websites have gone down. Not sure how to help with that problem.

Most of youtube music is somewhat licensed, so no foul there.
Post something and see how long it takes to get a legaleese notification that your posting is being removed from public view and archived for further investigation.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2017, 04:41:26 AM »
Protection. That is, things like gas mask filters and gloves for my chem hacker hobby. Its one of those areas where an oz of protection means more than an lb of cure, it means staying alive in some cases, avoiding permanent crippling in others, or much hospital nastiness in yet others. Better never to receive the injury or poisoning than to have to seek treatment for one.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2017, 05:03:38 AM »
  I don't bother with discount liquid soap, since it's usually too diluted to be good.  :multitask:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2017, 05:14:53 AM »
You sound like you were channeling some of me there CBC. Only for different reasons.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2017, 05:37:30 AM »
You sound like you were channeling some of me there CBC. Only for different reasons.

Different materials, different uses, but the same reasons.  ;)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"