Educational

Author Topic: Black Dog Syndrome  (Read 647 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Black Dog Syndrome
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:35 PM »
Really being afraid of dogs or cats is ludicrous. Both species idolize strong personalities. If you be all you can be, there is no need to worry.

I doubt most of the people who really are afraid of cats and dogs choose to be afraid.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 11:55:19 PM »
I think our cats mostly idolize a reliable food bowl.

Cats are pragmatic creatures.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »

But I did read a news item the other day that claims a vaccine may well be on its way for us.
That's just funny.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
Really being afraid of dogs or cats is ludicrous. Both species idolize strong personalities. If you be all you can be, there is no need to worry.

I doubt most of the people who really are afraid of cats and dogs choose to be afraid.

Knew a little boy, who fell prey to cats and dogs from the moment he was born. Animals would just get aggressive by him being around. Have seen it happen. Even my late cat, who was as tame as they come towards kids, would get into fight/attack mode the moment the kid entered the house.

Somehow he grew over that, luckily. He's in his twenties now, and has no problems with dogs and cats any more.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 11:56:51 AM »

Knew a little boy, who fell prey to cats and dogs from the moment he was born. Animals would just get aggressive by him being around. Have seen it happen. Even my late cat, who was as tame as they come towards kids, would get into fight/attack mode the moment the kid entered the house.

Somehow he grew over that, luckily. He's in his twenties now, and has no problems with dogs and cats any more.

I am glad the kid grew out of it.  I have known people who animals just seem to hate also, I usually see it as a sign to stay away from them in general myself though when it's kids I give them a lot more leeway than when its adults.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »

I am glad the kid grew out of it.  I have known people who animals just seem to hate also, I usually see it as a sign to stay away from them in general myself though when it's kids I give them a lot more leeway than when its adults.

I take the way animals react on people as a signal also. I may not be able to read facial expressions that well, I can read the reactions of animals towards a human.
And indeed, with young kids, I do give them more leeway too.
This boy, their own cat acted aggressive, the very first time he saw the little baby. So, what was first, cat scaring boy, making boy anxious and with that, scary for pets, or something in the boy, immediately noticed by animals?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »
  Re: fear of black dogs, I've read that one reason for the fear is that eyes are harder to see and facial expressions
   are harder to read in a black dog's face, therefore the dog's moods and intentions are harder to gauge.  :nerd!:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 12:39:51 AM »

I think this is the way with most "house animals."

The song comes to mind ...

"You can't always get what you want, You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you get what you NEEEEEED. You can't always get what you want."

Animals are seldom happy with "what you need,"  I have found.  They want what they Want.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:44:34 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 10:59:18 AM »

"You can't always get what you want, You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you get what you NEEEEEED. You can't always get what you need."

Animals are seldom happy with "what you need,"  I have found.
Cats and dogs generally do not bother with things like character-building and self-actualization.  Neither would I if all I had to do to get my needs met was exist, and occasionally meow.  Alas, cute though I be, I'm not housecat cute.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 01:12:22 PM »

To be honest with you i'd think something was wrong with the boy. I take notice when animals act that way.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »

To be honest with you i'd think something was wrong with the boy. I take notice when animals act that way.
Yeah, I might think twice before letting the kid around my animals alone, anyway.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »

"You can't always get what you want, You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you get what you NEEEEEED. You can't always get what you need."

Cats and dogs generally do not bother with things like character-building and self-actualization.  Neither would I if all I had to do to get my needs met was exist, and occasionally meow.  Alas, cute though I be, I'm not housecat cute.

I thought dogs at least needed an owner with a strong character. The whole pack mentality thing, the dog shouldn't be the alpha of the household.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

I thought dogs at least needed an owner with a strong character. The whole pack mentality thing, the dog shouldn't be the alpha of the household.
Pretty sure they just "need" an owner who feeds them, shelters them, and takes care of their needs.  :P  They probably respond best to consistency.  Like pretty damn much all other creatures.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »

Absolutely correct as far as I have known dogs for over fifty years.

I really think that the single most important reason we lost so many awesome dogs to a wild pack in those days was because the dogs were smart enough to see that all three of us guys, all of us alpha candidates, co-co-cohabiting, all sharing that amazing property,  were always vying for alpha status against each other, whether it was tongue in cheek or not. Dogs probably do not understand tongue in cheek fights.

I think as soon as one of our dogs met a strong pack leader, they joined THAT pack, not regarding the situation we had as a proper "pack."

I feel that you have hit on the reality of the situation.

Cats are different, though.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »

Yeah, I might think twice before letting the kid around my animals alone, anyway.
This kid did not want to be alone with any animal. I'm glad he got past this.

Animals are not only a good guide to how other people are. Also a good sign how I am. I can see from the reaction of my cats (especially the female one, because the male one is a bit of a nervous nutter anyway) how well my kids are and how well I am. They will not come close to one of us stressed out to the max or angry. Sadness or sickness is no issue they will come and cuddle then.