Author Topic: Black Dog Syndrome  (Read 683 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Black Dog Syndrome
« on: January 12, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »
Black Dog Syndrome

Black dog bias is a veterinarian and animal shelter phenomenon in which black dogs are passed over for adoption in favor of lighter-colored animals.[1] Black dog bias is also known as "big black dog syndrome." Shelters often use the term BBD, or big black dog, to describe the type of larger dark-colored mixed-breed typically passed over by adopters.

The phenomenon may be due to a number of factors, including fear stigma against certain breed types, and the fact that large, black dogs are often portrayed as aggressive in film and on television.

Some people believe that during the pet adoption process some potential owners associate the color black with evil or misfortune (similar to the common superstition surrounding black cats), and this bias transfers over to their choice of dog. Additionally, many shelters feature photo profiles of their dogs on the shelter website. Because black dogs do not photograph well, lighter-colored dogs have an advantage with potential adopters browsing the site.A study done by the Los Angeles Animal Services challenges some of these claims, saying that a full 28% of adopted dogs are black. However, the bias theory simply asserts that predominantly dark animals take longer to be adopted than their lighter counterparts, and that large dogs take longer to adopt than small ones.

However, appearance in general does play a role in potential adopters' selection of shelter dogs. In a 2011 study by the ASPCA, appearance was the most frequently cited reason for adopters of both puppies (29 percent) and adult dogs (26 percent).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-dog_bias

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Black Dog Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 11:04:32 PM »
This sounds silly but when I was really little (around 4 -5) I used to be scared of big black dogs to the point of screaming whenever I saw one.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 01:48:13 AM »
Think I read the same about black cats, couple of years ago.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:06:54 AM »
I'd guess it's less with black cats because us goth kids <3 the damn things on principal.

Appearance matters more than it logically should with everything else, so why wouldn't it with adopting an animal?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:35:19 AM »
I'd guess it's less with black cats because us goth kids <3 the damn things on principal.

Appearance matters more than it logically should with everything else, so why wouldn't it with adopting an animal?

The appearance of black dogs and cats is fine. They are often less photogenic though. It can be really hard, to make a good picture of a black pet. Even more when they have a really shiny fur coat.

So, maybe it is because they look less good on a site with adoptable pets.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 11:33:21 AM »
It doesn't matter to me but I have noticed it in other people.  Not many people want big dogs either preferring those little yipper things.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
I used to know someone who was terrified of white cats. He believed (dunno if this is science) that they had more aggressive personalities and were more likely to bite. He was badly bitten by one once.

I've never met someone that scared of black cats.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:00:46 PM »
It doesn't matter to me but I have noticed it in other people.  Not many people want big dogs either preferring those little yipper things.

Lots of people who want big dogs over the yappy little ones too.

But it almost looks like a different kind of people. Most big dogs are raised a lot better than the tiny ones. Know very little people with really well behaving little dogs. Sometimes it is as if the ones with little dogs did not want a dog, but a baby, one that never had to grow up.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:17:40 AM »
The dogs I've had were all white. More or less.

When I was a kid, we'd have our boat lined up in the front yard during winters and our dog would invariably hide under it. He loved the spot and would bring everything there. Food, stuff to chew on, everything. He'd guard the yard and the street, and every now and then he'd bark at something, mostly because he liked to bark in general, not because he was particularly good at guarding anything. He was too friendly for the job.

He was a samoyed, one of these:

They are about as white as they come, mostly. It's just that the boat was painted green below the water line. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 03:11:21 AM »
Have never had a rescue dog.  Not had black ones either but that is because I have always had dogs who's pedigree determines a specific colour.   I have not seen a black American Bulldog as they are not allowed. 

Other dogs I have had:
Dogue de Bordeaux   -  red
Neapolitan Mastif  -  blue  (black ones are very very rare and quite valuable)

I also had a beautiful boxer who was very dark brindle, and she had no white mask at all and would look black on evening walkies.   She chose me when I looked at the litter.   If buying a puppy it is best to try and be colour blind.  Temperament is everything.  The shy one at the back may look cute, and the nervous, shaky ones have an "arrrr' factor but I would never buy one.  It is the nervous one that tend to bite.  They have a fight or flight tendency and the nervy ones feel cornered more easily.   I always choose the most outgoing ones.

I have never been afraid of any dog,  and could easily love most of them.  Black Doberman s with cropped ears do unnerve me slightly but I think I saw a horror film once and they were 'the Devil's choice' which has probably influenced  me slightly.

I do love big dogs.  The bigger the better.  It is sad though that generally the rule of nature dictates the bigger the dog the shorter the life span.  Humans have done some very careful breeding's and made some fine pedigree's but have never been able to solve the life span problem.   
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 04:03:07 AM »
Here's a Doberman for you, Bodie, without cropped ears.

I love the not 100% Bouvier from next door. Once she was completely black. Sweetest thing ever. Now she is a light grey, and blind. So, she has a guide human. She still loves life, and slowly comes to me when she hears my voice.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 06:11:04 AM »
except for 1 collie all of our dogs were black mutts.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 07:18:09 AM »

Lots of people who want big dogs over the yappy little ones too.

But it almost looks like a different kind of people. Most big dogs are raised a lot better than the tiny ones. Know very little people with really well behaving little dogs. Sometimes it is as if the ones with little dogs did not want a dog, but a baby, one that never had to grow up.
There's also the issue of lots of apartments allowing dogs, but only beneath a certain weight limit.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
Neighbors used to have a black lab, I still miss her. :heart: Past neighbor had a smaller one from a shelter with a nasty looking overbite. She was at my house 24/7, I think she was more mine than theirs.  :LOL:

That said I'm a little bit wary of most dogs, big or small. Been chased while riding a bike or bitten too many times. Inlaws have always had boxers and have a knack for getting some nasty ones. FIL trained the first one that way and it took a bite out of a few of their son's friends, almost getting me twice and my kid once. It did not like any sudden movements...if you went to take your hands out of your pockets it snapped. Then it would come up on your lap and want to lick your neck right over your jugular...I truly hated that dog, although I don't blame the dog as much as the owner. :voodoo:

I'm also not a fan of the barking some days, and seem more allergic to them than I am to cats, probably since most of them go outside all the time.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »
Here's a Doberman for you, Bodie, without cropped ears.

I love the not 100% Bouvier from next door. Once she was completely black. Sweetest thing ever. Now she is a light grey, and blind. So, she has a guide human. She still loves life, and slowly comes to me when she hears my voice.

I grew up with dachshunds.  Flippy, Rusty and Chickory.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: